PDA

View Full Version : DL Hotel Choice?

MaterializedHaunt
07-25-2012, 07:51 PM
I am a WDW goer ever since I was a child. I know pretty much nothing about DL. So I will be looking to plan a trip. I see that there are 3 hotels, DLH, GCH and another one. I noticed on a youtube video that you can see the watershow from some of the rooms of a hotel. In you opinion, which hotel is the best as well as which hotel has the best view of this show? I like to have a nice view when I am doing Disney. Please help! :)

NewDVCowner
07-25-2012, 08:42 PM
The Grand Californian is, by far, the nicest of the three. I was staying on the second floor of a park view room and say a tiny bit of the water show. Perhaps if I was higher up I would have seen more. I believe you have a better view from the Paradise Pier Hotel, which is the other one that you wrote about, however of the three hotels I'd say it's the most disappointing in terms of Disney themeing. They basically purchased an existing hotel, put the Disney name on it, and started charging Disney prices.

Unlike WDW there are quiet a few non Disney hotels that are within walking distance - some of which are closer to the park enterance than the Disney owned properties. If you'd prefer to save money I'd suggest looking at hotels on Harbor Blvd.

If money isn't an issue I'd highly suggest the Grand Californian Hotel. It's a beautiful hotel and close to everything - it has an enterance directly into the California Adventure park.

tinkwest
07-26-2012, 12:36 PM
If a view was my main objective I think I'd choose the GCH. It is not a tall hotel so a view room isn't going to look out over the city as much as the DLH or PPH. There are also balconies to sit out on to enjoy the view. Views vary, of course, but examples of the GCH views would be the pool area, Downtown Disney, or DCA.

MaterializedHaunt
07-26-2012, 12:40 PM
Thank you so much for your responses. I will looking into the GCH I think. I like to save money but when I do Disney, I like to emerse myself in it! :D

mom2morgan
07-26-2012, 09:35 PM
We really enjoyed the Disneyland Hotel when we went, although we didn't have a "view" room. We had a view of the city, which ironically gave us a GREAT view of the fireworks :-) I found it had all the disney feel I was hoping for...although the Grand Californian really is fabulous and I might stay there when I'm feeling richer ;-)

BrerGnat
07-27-2012, 08:39 AM
If the $500+ per night price tag of the GCH doesn't phase you, it's an AMAZING hotel. It's my favorite, but I was always able to take advantage of really great AP rates to stay there. One time, I stayed there for $129/night. Cannot beat that!!!

However, it is really, really expensive without discounts. And, I don't think it's "worth" rack rate at all. If you can get it for somewhere between $250-400/night, it's "worth it" at that price point (to me).

The Disneyland Hotel was recently redone completely and looks great. I would not hesitate to stay there at all now. Prior to the refurb, it was tired and in major need of some TLC and I didn't feel the price they charged was in line with the product.

Paradise Pier falls into that category now. It needs work. It just doesn't deliver the Disney "wow" factor like the other two resorts on property, so rather than recommend it, I'd choose an offsite hotel if the other two resorts are out of reach or unavailable.

MaterializedHaunt
07-27-2012, 11:27 AM
Thanks for that! I will be looking for discounts to GCH and I am taking PP off my list then. Thanks so much. Narrowing it down for me. :mickey:

Yungbuck73
08-13-2012, 04:17 AM
we stayed at PP and we enjoyed it but a bit of a walk to parks. We stayed across street on harbor blvd 2 times. once at Camelot inn which was nice and right across from tomorrowland. last time was ramada inn maingate which was about 1/2 block down from entrance to DL. Loved the Ramada. Had a cool feel to it and pool was nice. I think I heard Michael from podcast say he stayed there also and he loved too(sorry if i misquoted you, Michael)
Also much cheaper staying off property rather than on. Also not like WDW not too many perks for staying on rather than off.

doombuggy
08-16-2012, 03:50 PM
Have stayed at all three onsite hotels and have to say DLH was my favorite (stayed there twice). I do like the GCH, don't get me wrong, but it is expensive. I stayed on DVc points in 2008, prior to the opening of the villas there.

We stayed on Harbor Blvd in 2006, but the name of the motel excapes me at the moment, but it was right across the street from the bus entrance to the parks. Probably closer than PP, and maybe DLH, depensing on which building you were in over there. It was clean and basic, and an added bonus was being able to see the fireworks from our back window. Desert Inn & Suites I think was the name.

Elias1901
08-23-2012, 06:13 PM
We haven't stayed at an on-site Disney Resort in the past, period. Which slightly saddens me. We've toured a few though and many of them, WDW, DLR and otherwise are stunning... but expensive. After seeing the renovations done at the Disneyland Hotel, I'm really hoping to stay there during my California trip next year for the D23 Expo! :thumbsup:

LudwigVonDrake
09-03-2012, 10:17 AM
I've booked Paradise Pier for next July for my first trip to Disneyland. I really can't wait :mickey:

Dopey's Girl
09-16-2012, 09:40 PM
I stayed at the Disneyland Hotel and was very pleased. It was clean and close to everything. I won't hesitate to book that one again.

NotaGeek
09-21-2012, 01:24 AM
we stayed at PP and we enjoyed it but a bit of a walk to parks. We stayed across street on harbor blvd 2 times. once at Camelot inn which was nice and right across from tomorrowland. last time was ramada inn maingate which was about 1/2 block down from entrance to DL. Loved the Ramada. Had a cool feel to it and pool was nice. I think I heard Michael from podcast say he stayed there also and he loved too(sorry if i misquoted you, Michael)
Also much cheaper staying off property rather than on. Also not like WDW not too many perks for staying on rather than off.
You're right -- that was me! Glad you like the Ramada Maingate! I will be staying with them again in a couple of weeks! :mickey:

CMCTxMom
09-21-2012, 11:20 AM
We stayed at the DLH a few years back, and my parents stayed at the GC, so we could experience both hotels. I also walked over to PP just to check it out. I did NOT like how far it was back to the PP. Especially after a long day, and if I were towing kids. Even with the monorail taking you part of the way there from Tomorrowland...

I tired of the long walk to the DLH, too, really. My kids were small at the time (1 and 4), and I didn't like having to always weave through the crowds at Downtown Disney to get back. We did like the hotel, though. Goofy always seemed to be hanging out there during the day. One afternoon I took my 1 yo out for a walk while the older one napped and we ran into Goofy walking around outside. He spent a good 20 minutes (no joke!) messing around with my son - it was precious. We saw him again the next afternoon too, taking a "nap" of his own on a pile of luggage in the lobby. Fun!

Next time we go, we'll all stay at the GC. LOVED it there, and we loved the back gate into DCA. We stay at the Beach Club in WDW, so we love back gates! ;)

Good luck! Hope you have a great trip!