PDA

View Full Version : Dilemna

Tabi550
07-25-2012, 05:15 PM
Hello All just need some "what would you do " advice. Here's our little dilemna, I got a Rental Car for 9 days for $185.00 taxes incl. do I keep the car for the whole 9 days or take it for 1 day for $40.00 and hope we don't need it. We always have a car sitting there and we do use it, but it's always because we can, not that we need to. If we choose the 1 Day then the day we check in we have to drive back to MCO return the car then jump on ME back to the Resort, My issue is that's alot of valuable time wasted but if I keep the car it's extra money spent. Not worried about the money but it is in the back of my brain. What would you do? :confused:

AllDisney
07-25-2012, 05:43 PM
We never rent a car. We always use Magical Express. If you want or need a car you can always rent one on property:secret:

VWL Mom
07-25-2012, 06:03 PM
If you only need the car for one day then I would check with Alamo/National and find out what the rate would be to pick up at the airport and drop off on property.

natstroop
07-25-2012, 06:06 PM
You might be able to return the car by DTD (Hilton) or the Disney Car rental place. Have you checked into those places?

Also, I don't believe that you can just jump on ME at the airport. I believe you have to be scheduled ahead of time by when your flight comes in. Someone on here might be able to clarify that for me.

VWL Mom
07-25-2012, 06:10 PM
Also, I don't believe that you can just jump on ME at the airport. I believe you have to be scheduled ahead of time by when your flight comes in. Someone on here might be able to clarify that for me.

You must have reservations to utilize ME but it doesn't need to be an incoming flight. You would book it for a certain time.

faline
07-25-2012, 06:10 PM
You are entitled to use Magical Express on the day you check into a Disney resort and the day you check out but you do need to schedule your use ahead of time.

Personally, I'd do without the car. Nine times out of ten, we do not have a rental car when we're at Disney. On the occasions we do have a rental, we barely use it.

With the way car rental prices have been in Orlando lately, we typically do limo service (Quicksilver is excellent for this purpose) with a grocery stop on the way to the resort and find that the cost is less than most car rentals for the length of our stay.

phillydan
07-26-2012, 08:15 AM
Rented a car on our first trip, but it was because we flew into Tampa and had a lot of baby gear (strollers, etc). It sat for an entire week without moving, so I don't really see the value, since there are so many options for getting around. In hindsight, I should have takena limo service to/from Tampa, but I really did not know any better at the time.

However, your $185 rate does not seem to bad, especially if 1 day is $40 and then you would loose all the back and forth time.

I would look into the local drop off option, and if that doesn't look too good, just keep it. Good luck! Let us know what you decide!

Jayhorn
07-26-2012, 09:32 AM
We've never rented a car for any trip to Disney World, and never missed having a car. The one time we didn't use Disney transportation on-site was one time we got a cab for dinner at Victoria & Albert's, and that was because it would have felt funny to get all dressed up and ride one of their busses, and not because we thought we needed it.

SBETigg
07-26-2012, 09:35 AM
Just an aside, and I am by no means picking on the OP. It's dilemma. But I see dilemna all the time. In fact, my husband used it the other day. I called him on it and he said he was joking, like it was from a comedy skit I should know? My former roommate used it all the time. I'm confused. Why is this suddenly a thing? I just don't like feeling out of the loop. If anyone could please explain the use of dilemna or any skit it comes from, I am all appreciation. Thanks!

faline
07-26-2012, 06:36 PM
Just an aside, and I am by no means picking on the OP. It's dilemma. But I see dilemna all the time.

The writer in you is showing. By the way, when I was growing up, I was taught the correct spelling was "dilemna" and until I saw this thread today that is still the way I would have spelled this word.

SBETigg
07-26-2012, 08:29 PM
The writer in you is showing. By the way, when I was growing up, I was taught the correct spelling was "dilemna" and until I saw this thread today that is still the way I would have spelled this word.

I looked it up, and Maryanne looked it up for me-- and yes! Apparently a whole generation and maybe more than one was taught this spelling of dilemma, as dilemna. So, wild. I guess I'm not out of the loop on any good comedy bits.

A Big Kid
07-26-2012, 09:13 PM
Even when we drive to Disney, we never get into our car until it's time to leave. We just use WDW transportation.

disneynarula
07-27-2012, 10:15 AM
We always get a rental car. We like to be able to go off property and get supplies like water and diapers. We also like to dine at AKL and other resort TS and it is nice to be able to drive. We also drive to all the parks except for Magic Kingdom. I do not like to stand in the long lines to have to stand on a bus at the end of the day. It looks like you got a pretty good deal on the price. I would keep the car.

ibelieveindisneymagic
07-27-2012, 10:42 AM
For me, I'd keep the car. No so much about the time spent getting and returning it, but we love to drive while at the world.

Waiting for busses, then having to stand on busses just doesn't do it for me anymore. We drive as much as we can, so I'd always say to keep the car.

But, if you don't want to drive (it is a vacation after all), then save the $$.

What do you need it for on the first day? It might be cheaper to use ME and have groceries, etc delivered, or to use a Limo service with a stop included.

You could even use ME, and then do the one-day rental from one of the on-site agencies, so it would be super easy to pick up and return.

spinnerf
07-28-2012, 04:09 PM
Wow Im surprised at how many people never use a car. I would keep it personally. You have a great rate at $180, in my opinion with kids a car is invaluable, nothing like waiting for a bus in 90+ weather with 2 screaming kids only to have the bus fill before you get on. I live in NYC and we have the joy of riding buses, trains etc with sweaty people daily. Its vacation, get the car!