PDA

View Full Version : Tidbits July/August 2012

Figment!
07-25-2012, 12:35 PM
Tidbits
July / August 2012

Wi-Free

8/27/12 The "Disney-Guest" free wi-fi broadcast is continued to expand. The free service is now reportedly available at Epcot. It has been also reported that the service was recently tested at the Typhoon Lagoon water park; but reports have not been clear if the service is permanently available yet.

8/1/12 The Walt Disney World resort has begun to expand its free wi-fi service from all Disney Resort hotels to its theme parks. The free wi-fi service is currently available in the Magic Kingdom park under the broadcast name "Disney-Guest". The free service is expected to be available in all four theme parks and the Downtown Disney area by the end of 2012. This service is likely (in part) to support the new My Disney Experience application (discussion here (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=193421)) being launched for use across the resort.

A Contemporary Closure

8/1/12 Disney's Contemporary Resort has announced additional renovations for the January through Late Summer 2013 period. All rooms, suites, and hallways on the 14th floor of the Tower will be closed for renovations during this time period. The Concierge Lounge will also be closed for renovations during this same period.

7/25/12 The popular California Grill at Disney’s Contemporary resort will be closing for a lengthy refurbishment next year. The location is scheduled to be closed from January 6, 2013 through Late Summer 2013. It has not been reported how the resort will address the lost dining capacity during this long period.

Circus Eats

7/25/12 More details are being released regarding the dining options in the partially open Storybook Circus section of the Magic Kingdom. Construction permits have recently been filed for a popcorn kiosk, a pretzel kiosk, and a hot dog kiosk to be constructed in the Storybook Circus section of the park. Additionally, the park has announced that forthcoming “Big Top Souvenirs” retail location will feature a confectionery section with an open kitchen for Guests to view the making of the treats.

Bon Appétit

7/25/12 Preparation work appears to be progressing for the Boulangerie Patisserie renovations and more detail have been internally announced. Although a closure date has still not be announced, a crane was reportedly spotted on-site earlier this month. It has been internally announced that the expanded location is expected to open in Late December 2012 and be re-named Boulangerie Pâtisserie Des Halles.

3/21/12 Epcot’s France pavilion has announced several changes to its dining options. The pavilion’s operators have announced that Boulangerie Patisserie will be renovated and expanded by next Spring. The counter service location will re-open featuring a new interior inspired by modern French bakeries and feature breads baked fresh daily.

Crow
07-25-2012, 01:30 PM
Thanks. France does need more room in its bakery

DVCJohn
07-26-2012, 07:36 AM
I can confirm the crane in France. I was at BWV with Boardwalk View rooms the first week of July.
The crane was there for at least 2 days and was gone by the end of the week.

pdrlkr
07-26-2012, 03:58 PM
Thanks Jason! :thumbsup: :mickey:

vizsla
07-27-2012, 05:13 AM
Thanks for the updates.

Figment!
08-01-2012, 01:14 PM
**Update**

Ian
08-01-2012, 02:25 PM
Let's hope that the free "wi-fi" in the parks is a lot more reliable and faster than the lousy wi-fi I had at the Boardwalk in May.

Gotta be honest ... I have a feeling it will be an epic fail when all 50,000 guests with a smart phone hit their network the entire thing will grind to a hault. I have absolutely no confidence in Disney's tech team. They're terrible! :ack:

faline
08-01-2012, 02:56 PM
Gotta be honest ... I have a feeling it will be an epic fail when all 50,000 guests with a smart phone hit their network the entire thing will grind to a hault. I have absolutely no confidence in Disney's tech team. They're terrible! :ack:

Whatever would cause you to doubt?! ;)

AgentC
08-01-2012, 06:19 PM
I have absolutely no confidence in Disney's tech team. They're terrible! :ack:

On the positive side, their lack of technical skills is what led me to Magical Journeys (http://yourmagicaljourneys.com/) :mickey:. I could not stand dealing with the Walt Disney World website to book my room, so tried out MJ and never looked back!

Ian
08-01-2012, 09:51 PM
On the positive side, their lack of technical skills is what led me to Magical Journeys (http://yourmagicaljourneys.com/) :mickey:. I could not stand dealing with the Walt Disney World website to book my room, so tried out MJ and never looked back!Always look on the bright side of life! :thumbsup:

PopPhan
08-03-2012, 09:18 AM
Always look on the bright side of life! :thumbsup:

You had to do this to me, didn't you, Ian......We were just taking our Friday morning 'cookie break' in the office and started talking about Monty Python movies!!!! :D:D:D

Looking forward to bringing my Galaxy Tab with me on my next visit...It is WiFi only, so I can give the system a good test. Unfortunately, I have no idea when my next visit will be........

Ian
08-03-2012, 11:07 AM
You had to do this to me, didn't you, Ian......We were just taking our Friday morning 'cookie break' in the office and started talking about Monty Python movies!!!! :D:D:DWhen I was on vacation last week my cousins and I went on a jag and watched like three hours of Monty Python on YouTube. I had to pick myself up off the floor by the time we were done. ;)

Just FYI in regards to the WiFi, one of the travel agents that works with my wife tweeted today that the WiFi is awesome in Magic Kingdom. Super fast, reliable, etc.

Melanie
08-03-2012, 11:19 AM
Just FYI in regards to the WiFi, one of the travel agents that works with my wife tweeted today that the WiFi is awesome in Magic Kingdom. Super fast, reliable, etc.

Wow. Seriously. Good to hear! :thumbsup:

BrerGnat
08-03-2012, 11:52 AM

That must be where most of the $1 Billion of the NexGen project budget went to...making the in park WiFi both fast AND reliable. What a concept...

Good to hear, though.

MinnieMommie
08-03-2012, 01:01 PM
Thanks Jason - all good news. A while back there was talk about special room designs for the 14th fl at CR. I thought that had fallen through but maybe they decided to go ahead with the proposed plan. Will be interested to learn exactly what will be in store.

DisneyGiant
08-03-2012, 01:27 PM
Let's hope that the free "wi-fi" in the parks is a lot more reliable and faster than the lousy wi-fi I had at the Boardwalk in May.

I was there in March & the Wi-Fi was in & out for the Boardwalk & the Beach Club. I found it was most reliable in the room itself.

I complained to someone at the Beach Club and she told me that they were aware & were working on it.

Having it in the theme parks will be awesome.

Ian
08-03-2012, 02:51 PM
Thanks Jason - all good news. A while back there was talk about special room designs for the 14th fl at CR. I thought that had fallen through but maybe they decided to go ahead with the proposed plan. Will be interested to learn exactly what will be in store.Yeah those yoga suites ... they pulled the plug on that, from what I remember. I think these are just a standard refresh.

I was there in March & the Wi-Fi was in & out for the Boardwalk & the Beach Club. I found it was most reliable in the room itself.

I complained to someone at the Beach Club and she told me that they were aware & were working on it.Yeah I was at BW in May and the Internet in the room was abominable. Slow, kept dropping out, and just terrible all around. I called three times to complain and no one ever did a thing or even pretended they cared. One CM actually told me, "It's free. What do you expect?"

pdrlkr
08-09-2012, 10:02 AM
Thanks Jason! :thumbsup: :mickey:

LebelJD
08-19-2012, 08:17 PM
We were at BWV in July and WiFi was unreliable. However, the wired access in the rooms was still active and rock solid, so I used it instead.

Lindsey310
08-19-2012, 08:51 PM

Funny you say that, my husband and I complained to boardwalk villas about the spotty wifi service when we were there in December 2011!

Thanks for the updates!!:mickey:

Figment!
08-27-2012, 10:19 PM
**Update**