PDA

View Full Version : Refurbishments at Grand Floridian

jb123
07-25-2012, 12:29 PM
I just received a letter from the General Manager of the Grand Floridian stating that the courtyard pool, Gasparila Grill & Game Arcade, and one of the gift shops will be closed for refurbishment during my one week vacation from 10/20 - 10/28/08. In addition, the Spa has been closed and will remained closed through next year.

I knew about the spa closure, which is really disappointing, considering that this hotel is extremely expensive and I want to have spa treatments, but we only want to stay at the Grand Floridian. I cannot believe that Disney would close almost everything else that I would be using and still charge almost $500.00 per night (for a garden view room). I am cancelling my reservation, as we only wanted to stay at GF...this was a special occasion. I booked this trip in February and have been saving and paying for this trip every month.

I know the properties need to be refurbished, but they could do this one are at a time and not take everything out of service.

I am so upset and disappointed that my disney vacation has been ruined.

Belle of the Ball 051411
07-25-2012, 01:05 PM
I'm really sorry you feel your trip is ruined. There isn't any other resort that you'd like to stay at? (DH and I love the GF so I understand where you're coming from.)

We stayed at the GF in May and the only things we dealt with was the spa closure (not a huge deal) and the DVC construction which really don't bother us at all.

We are going back in December (8-13) and I have been paying close attention to the refurbishments. I know the spa will be closed and Gasparillas will also be closed. Not a huge deal for us. We can use the spa at SSR. The courtyard pool should be open by then.

The beach pool will be open so you would still have a pool to swim in. Since Gasparillas is closed, the other lounges and beach bar will have stuff instead. So while they are closing some things, they are trying to make it available at other locations (in or around the resort). If you can swing it, try and pay or get upgrade to club level; that might make the situation a little better.

If DH and I couldn't stay at GF, we'd look to stay at BLT, WL, YC, or BW.

SBETigg
07-25-2012, 01:17 PM
I was surprised that the refurbishment was affecting so many things at once, too. They usually keep construction fairly well contained and I thought they would be keeping most of the changes to the spa/new building for DVC area. I guess they decided it's a good time to hit other areas, too, but would have been nice to know the extent when you booked-- and it is extensive enough to make most guests want to change resorts, I think. I love the GF, but we do accept the Polynesian as our second Disney home. In your case, I think canceling might be best because it sounds like nothing else will quite do. Major bummer. I'm very sorry this happened during your planned vacation.

Fangorn
07-25-2012, 02:14 PM
We're going at the same time as the OP (ICOT15) and are staying at the GF. We received the same letter. For us, the rennovations are not a big deal as we're not pool people and since we have an outer building, theme park view (thanks to our CM son), our goal is to just spend time together enjoying the view.

At least they have notified people of the construction prior to arrival - unlike the whole monorail closure fiasco - so that folks could make the decision to change resorts if they wanted.

While I can certainly understand the disappointment of some, I'm actually kind of grateful for the construction at this time. It is not often that the full CM discounts apply at the GF, but virtually every category of room is available during the construction. Obviously, it's having an impact on bookings. And I'm taking advantage of the situation.

Steve

MaterializedHaunt
07-25-2012, 03:56 PM
I am so sorry to hear this has ruined your trip. I am not one to complain but if this was me and it was so extreme as to make me cancel my reservations, I would be on the phone with a manager or someone of some significance. This is terrible that they are doing this all at the same time and taking away ALOT of the GF at once. I hope things work out for you and you find alternative plans. If you haven't tried Polynesian, you should look into it, the atmospher is phanominal!

buzznwoodysmom
07-25-2012, 04:41 PM
Add me to the list of those who are sad you feel your vacation plans are ruined. We have had unexpected refurbs at resorts we were staying at before, so I totally understand.

I have no issues with resort refurbs, I know these things need to be done. However, I agree with you about there being so many at the same resort during the same time frame.

Even that's not so bad....except when your still paying the prices they charge. It would have been nice to offer a deep discount during this major refurb period, but as long as enough guests are willing to pay that price for a "half open" resort they are going to charge it.

I know you say that no other resort will work for you, and I totally get that. But have you ever considered looking into Yacht Club? The location is great, so close to Epcot. It has a nice quiet feel to it, much like GF. I know this sounds super silly, but even their lobbies smell the same to me! LOL. Plus you are a short walk to the Swan/Dolphin resort which has a spa lightyears ahead of the GF spa. There are tons of places to eat within walking distance. I know it's not the same, but I think it could be a great way to "save" your trip.

mom2morgan
07-26-2012, 08:53 PM
I'm so sorry your trip is ruined! I certainly understand how you feel - Disney is far too expensive a vacation to "settle" for something you aren't happy with :-( But I'm truly hoping that you will find another resort that fits your needs, or another time when you can really enjoy the GF!

texas211
07-28-2012, 10:45 PM
I truly feel for you. DIsney wants to charge full price for half of a resort experience. Par for the course.

They must have whomever runs freeway construction advising the GF. Have everything done at once :)

Sorry, and hope you have a good time later on.

Luv4WDW
07-30-2012, 11:15 AM
I totally agree with you. My attitude has always been, if I can't stay at the GF then I don't want to go. That being said, this time we're staying at the BWI for two nights and club level of the GF for 4 nights. We always stay club level here, and I would agree that this is a good suggestion. If you're staying club level there really is no reason to utilize Gasparilla, in my opinion. While at the resort, we really only eat in the club level lounge. My second choice for a resort is the Yacht Club. I'm told the BWI has a similar feel to the GF so I'll find out in 22 days! I hope you figure something out.

BrerGnat
07-30-2012, 01:06 PM
I agree that is a major bummer. I'd be so sad too.

I would also feel compelled to get on the phone with a manager or supervisor so they can know that this is not okay with you and you will cancel unless they extend some sort of major discount for the refurbishment closings during your trip. They don't want to lose a booking, trust me, so they might be willing to work with you. I'd start by asking for an upgrade to club level for the price you are paying. If not, ask for a room discount.

Although those closings are numerous, I don't think they would necessarily cause any real problems during the stay. As mentioned, the other pool will be open. The GF Spa isn't the best one on Disney property anyway (Hello, Mandara at the Dolphin!) :number1: and Gasparilla isn't even very good, IMO, and it's noisy. I don't like that CS location at all. I much prefer the one at Contemporary (east to get to via monorail).

But, you might want to reconsider not having a second hotel choice. You are aware that when you book a Disney resort, you are not 100% guaranteed a room in THAT resort, right? It's in the fine print...

I can also very highly recommend the Epcot resort area, particularly with adults. I would pick the YC/BC over the GF any day of the week (so would my husband).

It sounds like this trip is really important to you, and it would be a shame to miss out on it just because of this refurbishment issue. Life gives you lemons sometimes. I'd use this as an opportunity to try something new. You just might find a new favorite.