PDA

View Full Version : Jet Blue coming to Providence

epceddie
07-24-2012, 12:02 AM
For all you WDW lovers in Massachusetts and Rhode Island, I just read a story saying that JetBlue will be offering two non-stop flights a day to Orlando starting on Nov. 29.
Tickets can be booked right now, so check out their website. It'll be nice to see how Southwest reacts to the competition.

TinkerbellT421
07-24-2012, 12:17 AM
Dbf and I were talking about that last week. It's going to be very interesting to see how each other competes. Before SW was the only airline to offer nonstop from Warwick, so they pretty much had everyone tied up with whatever rates they wanted to make them with no competition. We are very intrigued to see what happens.

epceddie
07-24-2012, 09:45 AM
I knew that JetBlue was coming to Providence, but didn't know exactly when. I wish I had stayed on top of the situation better. I could haven gotten a much better deal. So, it will be one more trip on Southwest in December and then we'll see how the price war shapes up.

TinkerbellT421
07-24-2012, 10:04 AM
I knew that JetBlue was coming to Providence, but didn't know exactly when. I wish I had stayed on top of the situation better. I could haven gotten a much better deal. So, it will be one more trip on Southwest in December and then we'll see how the price war shapes up.

Yea same here. We had already purchased our tickets though by the time they announced Jet Blue. They just announced Jet Blue either last week or the week before. The only thing we fear with Jet Blue is all the stories I have heard from people about how Jet Blue will change flights very last minute and not even like maybe leave an hour earlier or an hour later, as in all of a sudden you check you flight for giggles and you see it has been changed to flying out the day before kind of changes. Which is extremely inconvenient and not to mention they do not inform you when they make these changes on you. Plus we have to factor in bag prices for us because Jet Blue does not include Bag Fares so you always have to factor in that extra cost as well. Just because the flight might be cheaper than SW then you factor the cost per bag and bam you are either higher or the same as SW and would rather fly SW to not gamble with the last minute schedule changes. BUT Jet Blue has assigned seats which is more convenient than the cattle herd with SW. So, it's a catch twenty two situation lol. DBF and I were talking about it for hours lol

epceddie
07-27-2012, 02:25 PM
We never had a flight changed all the times we flew with JetBlue out of Boston, but I can see how inconvenient that could be.
As for the bag fees, we never have to pay them, because it's just my wife and I and we're light packers.
All you can do is price flights with both airlines and see what works the best. Southwest is great, but I'd much rather fly with JetBlue for the extra leg-room and the TV's. Plus, having assigned seats makes the boarding process a lot less stressful, especially for parents traveling with small kids who want to sit together.

VWL Mom
07-27-2012, 02:50 PM
We've had a few schedule changes with JetBlue but always received an email and a phone call on them. Also, if the change is more than 4 hours, you can call them and they will put you on another flight.

We don't check luggage but you are allowed the first bag free on JetBlue.

We switched to JB a few years back and have been with them since.

TinkerbellT421
07-27-2012, 04:28 PM
We've had a few schedule changes with JetBlue but always received an email and a phone call on them. Also, if the change is more than 4 hours, you can call them and they will put you on another flight.

We don't check luggage but you are allowed the first bag free on JetBlue.

We switched to JB a few years back and have been with them since.

Thanks for the info! That's all great to know!! :thumbsup:

faline
07-27-2012, 06:29 PM
I'd be far more likely to drive to Manchester than Providence but it's nice to know there's another airport we could consider.

We're constantly getting "flight change" notices from Jet Blue but typically they are notices that are arrival or departure times are different by 3-4 minutes??!! Typically, we've found Jet Blue to be reliable and timely.

MaterializedHaunt
07-27-2012, 06:46 PM
Im from Southeastern CT and for us, Hartford (BDL) and Providence (PVD) are both the same distance but we usually end up going with BDL due to cheaper flights through SouthWest. I realize they herd you like cattle but I prefer cheaper and 2 free bags!

TinkerbellT421
07-28-2012, 07:51 AM
Im from Southeastern CT and for us, Hartford (BDL) and Providence (PVD) are both the same distance but we usually end up going with BDL due to cheaper flights through SouthWest. I realize they herd you like cattle but I prefer cheaper and 2 free bags!

You may want to consider checking prices of JetBlue your next trip around, because either southwest or jet blue are going to have to keep track of one another and keep prices competitive.

MaterializedHaunt
07-28-2012, 01:28 PM
For this September we did that and SouthWest was surprisingly cheaper, plus I like to save money and bought a 15% off coupon on ebay for $20 and it saved me about $120 in the end.

epceddie
07-30-2012, 12:17 AM
TF Green Airport, which is actually located in Warwick, not Providence, is one of the easiest airports we have ever used. We park our car with Thrifty and they've been super dependable getting us to and from the airport quickly and efficiently. Getting through security is a always breeze and we''ve had flights land where we've been able to grab our luggage and be on the Thrifty Shuttle in about 20 minutes. Plus, there isn't a lot of traffic congestion on Post Road in front of the airport and getting onto 95 North and South couldn't be easier.TF Green is a super simple airport to fly into and out of. It's a real gem.

MaterializedHaunt
07-30-2012, 01:23 AM
TF Green Airport, which is actually located in Warwick, not Providence, is one of the easiest airports we have ever used. We park our car with Thrifty and they've been super dependable getting us to and from the airport quickly and efficiently. Getting through security is a always breeze and we''ve had flights land where we've been able to grab our luggage and be on the Thrifty Shuttle in about 20 minutes. Plus, there isn't a lot of traffic congestion on Post Road in front of the airport and getting onto 95 North and South couldn't be easier.TF Green is a super simple airport to fly into and out of. It's a real gem.
Very much agreed. It is very laidback, quiet, the people are friendly. It might not be a big airport but it sure is a nice one especially with the remodeling they did a few years back. I prefer over Hartford.

And side-though. If it's in Warwick then why do they code it PVD? Im not saying its not in Warwick, just something I noticed.

TinkerbellT421
07-30-2012, 06:51 AM
Very much agreed. It is very laidback, quiet, the people are friendly. It might not be a big airport but it sure is a nice one especially with the remodeling they did a few years back. I prefer over Hartford.

And side-though. If it's in Warwick then why do they code it PVD? Im not saying its not in Warwick, just something I noticed.

Yea, it's a weird system no one really understands, not even rhode island residents get it lol. It's about twenty minutes from the real "providence". Have you guys been there since the expansion with the people mover, etc. was put in?

ginger19
08-01-2012, 11:30 AM
That's great news! I live in NE CT and I prefer to fly out of Providence over BOS or BDL. I love that airport :thumbsup:

I hope it helps with SW prices as I think they are overpriced for non-stop to MCO.

This is really good news for my family!

MaterializedHaunt
08-01-2012, 11:53 AM
Have you guys been there since the expansion with the people mover, etc. was put in?

Is that the really long overhead walkway that goes over the parking lot to a far away parking garage? Ive been up there just waiting for flights in/out and such. Unless they put something else in recently.

epceddie
08-01-2012, 12:14 PM
I think it is. That's a LONG way to the terminal, even for a little state like Rhode Island.
We park at Thrifty on Post Road. It's a five-minute shuttle ride and they take great care of you.

TinkerbellT421
08-01-2012, 12:21 PM
is that the really long overhead walkway that goes over the parking lot to a far away parking garage? Ive been up there just waiting for flights in/out and such. Unless they put something else in recently.

yep!

beksy
08-01-2012, 11:07 PM
bought a 15% off coupon on ebay for $20 and it saved me about $120 in the end.

Just jumping in here but thanks for this info...I'm fairly new to flying and didn't know things like this were available on ebay!

epceddie
08-02-2012, 04:35 PM
The only discount coupons I've come across on eBay are for drinks. How do you find the discount airfare?