PDA

View Full Version : Is this totally crazy???

BrerGnat
07-23-2012, 11:39 AM
Okay, so I just saw Disney's Military Special offer for cruises this August.

We are sort of toying with the idea of booking one for Aug 19.

That's like 3 weeks away. Never been on a DCL cruise before. Don't have passports, but don't need them, I see.

Should we do it? The savings is phenomenal...we were planning a cruise for next year, but the prices are so high and compared to that, this is a steal. It's almost a 50% savings...

What would be the downfall to booking this close to sail date?

MarkC
07-23-2012, 11:49 AM
I'm not sure where its going-- I would triple verify that you don't need a passport. If you do, it costs a bunch to expidite them and it would eat up your savings.

If it turns out you don't need one and you can go, by all means go. We were on the Disney Magic in February and a Disney Cruise is one of the best vacations you'll ever have. My only comment is that a 3 or 4 day cruise will fly by so fast, I would try for a 5 to 7 day cruise if possible. We loved ours. Best of luck to you.

BrerGnat
07-23-2012, 11:52 AM
I'm not sure where its going-- I would triple verify that you don't need a passport. If you do, it costs a bunch to expidite them and it would eat up your savings.

If it turns out you don't need one and you can go, by all means go. We were on the Disney Magic in February and a Disney Cruise is one of the best vacations you'll ever have. My only comment is that a 3 or 4 day cruise will fly by so fast, I would try for a 5 to 7 day cruise if possible. We loved ours. Best of luck to you.

It's the 5 Night Cruise on the Dream, just goes to Nassau and Castaway Cay (x2). :thumbsup:

Definitely don't need passports, as it's a closed loop Bahamas only cruise.

We want to "test the waters" so to speak, with cruising, so we definitely didn't want a full week cruise for the boys first one. DH and I have been cruising a few times, but we don't know how our boys will react to it. They are "love it or hate it" type kids with Autism. So, we never know with them. Hard to guess what they will like/dislike.

CajunDisneyDad
07-23-2012, 12:10 PM
Go for it, you will kick yourself if you dont :) as a serviceman you deserve it :)

ibelieveindisneymagic
07-23-2012, 12:21 PM
I would go!

We did a 5-night Disney cruise a couple of years ago, and it was a great way to see if we liked it. We were there long enough to really get a feel for it, but not so long that if we hated it, we'd feel trapped.

Two days at CC would seal the deal for me, it was awesome.

I think the only downside is that you won't have much choice in room location, but even that shouldn't be a deterrent.

Enjoy!

BrerGnat
07-23-2012, 12:22 PM
Go for it, you will kick yourself if you dont :) as a serviceman you deserve it :)

Well, my DH is the serviceman, but thank you anyway. ;)

It's just so hard for us to book this kind of thing a year in advance, since we NEVER know if he can have time off for sure until really close to the dates. So, this is a great opportunity, since he can most likely take that week off no problem.

Dopey's Girl
07-23-2012, 12:28 PM
I say Happy Sailing!

BrerGnat
07-23-2012, 12:36 PM
I think the only downside is that you won't have much choice in room location, but even that shouldn't be a deterrent.

Enjoy!

The rooms are category 4D, and they are located mainly Port side, midship, on deck 6. There are quite a few to choose from. Seems good to me!

The cost per person, per day, would be $150!!!

DH is going to ask his boss about getting that week off. We'll see what happens with that! Fingers crossed!!!

DizneyRox
07-23-2012, 01:49 PM
$150 a day isn't bad at all. The DVC offer for September is like $130 a day and it's a STEAL!

There are/were a lot of choices for the DVC CASH offer in terms of dining assignments, room choices, etc. I'd make any/every effort to get on that ship.

Book ASAP though, the DVC CASH rooms went quickly once a day or two went by and people got their vacations straightened out, etc.

Kenny1113
07-23-2012, 01:50 PM
Do it!!!! The only downside I see (not a deal breaker in my book) might be unable to booking some of your things in advance. I haven't done this so I dont know how quickly things fill up. Just a thought.

TinkerbellT421
07-23-2012, 02:00 PM
It may be so cheap because of hurricane season. That would be the only downfall I would see about traveling in August. But other than that, that is a steal of a price! GO for it! I would if I could :blush:

wendybird
07-23-2012, 02:18 PM
Just to confirm - NO PASSPORTS NEEDED??
We are sailing in April of 2013, 3 night to Bahamas and back, and I was going to get the "card" passport that is a little cheaper for myself, DH & DS. If I don't need to spend that kind of money - it would be GREAT!! We do all have "official" birth certificates - does that suffice??

It's the 5 Night Cruise on the Dream, just goes to Nassau and Castaway Cay (x2). :thumbsup:

Definitely don't need passports, as it's a closed loop Bahamas only cruise.

We want to "test the waters" so to speak, with cruising, so we definitely didn't want a full week cruise for the boys first one. DH and I have been cruising a few times, but we don't know how our boys will react to it. They are "love it or hate it" type kids with Autism. So, we never know with them. Hard to guess what they will like/dislike.

buzznwoodysmom
07-23-2012, 03:29 PM
Natalie,

I think you should go for it. I feel like we are sort of in the same boat. We want to do a 4 or 5 night cruise as our first family cruise to "test the waters" too. Oldest DS has been prone to motion sickness his entire life so his first cruise needs to be less than a full week.

We also don't want to pay full price for a Disney cruise so we'd have to book one last minute if we wanted to use the military discount. That's one of the reason's we haven't done it yet, we never seem to be able to pull it off when the military discount is announced.

If DH wasn't going to be in Germany, and the boys and I didn't already have plans for Disney World, not to mention my kids go back to school before the sail dates, I'd be looking into it right now as well.

BrerGnat
07-23-2012, 03:40 PM
Just to confirm - NO PASSPORTS NEEDED??
We are sailing in April of 2013, 3 night to Bahamas and back, and I was going to get the "card" passport that is a little cheaper for myself, DH & DS. If I don't need to spend that kind of money - it would be GREAT!! We do all have "official" birth certificates - does that suffice??

From what I can tell, if you do a "closed loop" cruise and it only goes to the Bahamas or Caribbean, you do NOT need passports. A closed loop cruise is one that departs and returns to the same port. As long as the departure port is in the U.S.A., no passports needed!

Adults will need a government issued photo ID (drivers license is fine) AND an official (with a raised seal) birth certificate. Kids need a birth certificate only, no photo ID required.

We have all that. So, we are ready to go if we can!

BrerGnat
07-23-2012, 03:42 PM
$150 a day isn't bad at all. The DVC offer for September is like $130 a day and it's a STEAL!

There are/were a lot of choices for the DVC CASH offer in terms of dining assignments, room choices, etc. I'd make any/every effort to get on that ship.

Book ASAP though, the DVC CASH rooms went quickly once a day or two went by and people got their vacations straightened out, etc.

There are actually a few categories of rooms available, but they are all the same price! It appears to be $175 per day for the first two passengers, then $130 per day for 3rd and 4th passengers. Averaged out, for a family of 4, it's $150 per person, per day.

Obviously, I'd book the highest category available. As of now, there are quite a few category 4D rooms available.

Still waiting to hear if DH can have the week off. He also needs a week off in November, and that one is more important (wedding), so we will see what his boss says.

BrerGnat
07-23-2012, 03:47 PM
If DH wasn't going to be in Germany, and the boys and I didn't already have plans for Disney World, not to mention my kids go back to school before the sail dates, I'd be looking into it right now as well.

Denise, I don't understand why they release these discounts SO last minute. It's frustrating! I mean, I understand it. I suppose these are mostly cancellations or something and they want to fill up the ship. Still, though, don't they know how hard it is to get leave in the military so last minute? ;)

Luckily, our kids don't start school until after Labor day, so this date works great for us. Also, DH is going to be down in Orlando August 25 and 26 anyway to attend Star Wars Celebration, so we figured this would work out really well! We'd have to drive down, but then I'd get 2 days at Disney with the boys while DH is at Celebration. :thumbsup:

buzznwoodysmom
07-23-2012, 06:24 PM
Denise, I don't understand why they release these discounts SO last minute. It's frustrating! I mean, I understand it. I suppose these are mostly cancellations or something and they want to fill up the ship. Still, though, don't they know how hard it is to get leave in the military so last minute? ;)

Luckily, our kids don't start school until after Labor day, so this date works great for us. Also, DH is going to be down in Orlando August 25 and 26 anyway to attend Star Wars Celebration, so we figured this would work out really well! We'd have to drive down, but then I'd get 2 days at Disney with the boys while DH is at Celebration. :thumbsup:

Natalie, I feel the same frustration as you. I'm sure these rooms are in their unsold inventory, and they are offered to try to fill up cabins, but it's really too last minute for us.

I feel the same way about the WDW military discount. Anyone trying to plan a trip between Oct. and the end of the year doesn't know if they will offer the discount until just before their trip. We've always managed, but next year we plan to go to WDW for Thanksgiving with DH's entire family. We will have 3 qualifying military members, so that would mean up to 6 rooms, and 18 sets of tickets. We are going to have to book hotels and such based on the prices without the discount. Some of the family may not be able to afford moderate or deluxe resorts without a discount, so we are planning to all stay where ever each family is comfortable, instead of all staying at the same resort. However, if the military discount comes out there may be a quick scramble to try and get us in the same resort so that we may book the additional rooms using the discount.

I'm thrilled that they are still offering such great discounts to military, but it would make things easier if we had more notice of them. Like you said, it can be tough to take leave for vacation in the military.

I hope your plans all work out. I know you've been talking about a Disney cruise for a while (same here)! I'd love to see you guys pull this off!

BrerGnat
07-23-2012, 07:49 PM
OMG...We're going to GO!!! :eek:

DH got the leave approved.

And then, he came home and told me that he is "most likely" going to be deployed for 4 months next Jun-September. :( So, I guess we better take this trip now after all. So much for a cruise next summer...

But...it means we are GOING NOW! I'm so excited!!! So much to plan...I still can't believe it. :crazy:

I looked online tonight, worried that all the cabins would be gone, and instead, there are MORE available than there were earlier. :cool:

I'm going to be busy tomorrow...

Melanie
07-23-2012, 07:57 PM
Very cool!!! :mickey:

buzznwoodysmom
07-23-2012, 08:10 PM
Awesome Natalie!!!!

I hope this cruise is everything you guys have been waiting for, and more. I hope your boys love it! Have fun planning!

Kairi_7378
07-23-2012, 08:13 PM
So awesome that you decided to go! (But I am sorry to read about the deployment.)

TinkerbellT421
07-23-2012, 08:24 PM
Yay!!!!! awesome!!! I'm totally jealous!

Ed
07-23-2012, 09:34 PM
:congrats:

You're gonna love it, especially the two stops at Castaway Cay! That's been the highlight of our 6 DCL cruises.

Now......Please don't shoot the messenger.....only making sure you are aware of a possible pitfall.

Regarding passports... It's true that you don't have to have them on a closed loop cruise. However, if (God forbid) something was to happen that you needed to fly back into the US, you are in for a major hassle and delay without passports. This could include a medical emergency, not getting back to the ship before it leaves Nassau or CC (no, they won't wait for you! :nono: ), or any number of other problems.

Maybe I need to take a major dose of optimism pills, but personally I don't leave the US without my passport.

BrerGnat
07-24-2012, 08:44 AM
I know, Ed. But, we really are going to just have to take the chance. There just isn't enough time to get them done at this point, and if we don't go on this cruise now, it seems like we never will.

We have already decided we are not even getting off the ship in Nassau. We'd like to enjoy the ship with fewer people onboard for an afternoon.

We did purchase the vacation insurance.

We will just hope to God that no one has a medical emergency, but even in the event of that, we are aware of Emergency Medical Repatriation as an option. We have no reason to have to fly home early from the trip (no sick relatives, etc.).

We will take our chances this time, and pray that luck is on our side.

Ed
07-24-2012, 08:57 AM
You're not alone, Natalie; literally millions take the same gamble annually with no negative consequences. I'm just not one of them. :D

I added that info primarily for everyone else who reads the forum. I hang on a cruising-related website, and every time the passport topic comes up, it results in a huge and often heated discussion. Definitely makes for interesting lurking. :popcorn:

The last few times we've been to Nassau, we did the same thing - - stayed onboard. It's a great opportunity to explore the ship, enjoy the pool, ride AquaDuck, etc. with fewer people competing for the same things.

BrerGnat
07-24-2012, 09:03 AM
You're not alone, Natalie; literally millions take the same gamble annually with no negative consequences. I'm just not one of them. :D

I'm usually not one to gamble either, Ed. But, just this once...

If this trip were 2 months away, we'd be getting the passports for sure. I am always a "better safe than sorry" person.

I am kicking myself now because we were talking about getting our passports a few months back, and we never got around to doing it.

AgentC
07-24-2012, 09:53 AM
I am so jealous. Have a wonderful trip!

ElenitaB
07-24-2012, 09:59 PM
Natalie, that is the best news! Cruising is now by far my most favorite form of vacationing. So relaxing! I hope your boys enjoy the kids' clubs.

BTW, I'm with Ed re: passports but crossing my fingers that it won't be a concern for you.

wildernesslady
07-25-2012, 08:12 AM
You will absolutely love Castaway. We were on the Dream two weeks ago and had two stops there. Loved it. We feel it's the main reason to go on a Disney cruise.

Enjoy your first cruise. The ship is wonderful. All of our dinners were fabulous. Have a great time.

Dopey's Girl
07-25-2012, 01:17 PM
So cool Natalie! Can't wait to hear how it goes!

robnadina
07-25-2012, 05:58 PM
So glad you get the cahnce to sail on the DREAM! I have been dying to see this ship but just cant afford it. I am sailing on the Magic out of Galveston in October and the Dream was double the price for almost the same itinerary.
Lets just call this opportunity what it is...meant to be.
Have fun planning and we cant wait to hear your review :)

Disdude
07-26-2012, 01:26 PM
OMG...We're going to GO!!! :eek:

DH got the leave approved.

Welcome aboard. We are on the same sailing. We were originally scheduled for a June to Alaska that we booked onboard the Wonder last year. We had to change to October on the Magic out of Galveston but had to cancel that too. I need my DCL fix so we got the GTY rate on this one. It will be our 4th DCL cruise and second on the Dream.

I worry about everything but I would not travel without passport if I didn't have to. The state department says 2-3 weeks door to door right now for expedited service. I would think you could get it in time.

You will have a great time. I don't believe you'll be missing much staying onboard in Nassau. Been there, done that, never going back.

BrerGnat
07-26-2012, 05:48 PM
I worry about everything but I would not travel without passport if I didn't have to. The state department says 2-3 weeks door to door right now for expedited service. I would think you could get it in time.

The problem is, we are all needing passports for the first time. And, we have two minors. So, that means we have to apply IN PERSON at a passport agency (i.e. USPS office location) in order to apply. I called around to at least 10 different post offices. None have appointments any sooner than 3 weeks from now.

Our other option is wait until we have 2 weeks or less before our travel date, and then apply in person in Washington D.C. However, they charge EVEN MORE for that. And, it's also by appointment only. So, I'd have to wait another week, then call and try to get squeezed in sometime in the next two weeks.

It's just too much. And, trying to coordinate a time when DH and I can both be there together to get this done with the kids. Not going to happen in the next 3 weeks.

So, we are going to cross all our fingers and toes and hope nothing goes wrong. All our family is aware we are traveling without passports and in the event of an emergency situation with one of them, they know that we will NOT be able to get off the ship early. They are all okay with this.

And, in the event that something happens to one of us, well, then we will just be spending some time in the nearest US Embassy, I suppose. Hopefully, DH's military status and his State Dept. connections in D.C. will help us out if it comes to that. :secret:

We got the travel insurance. So, we are at least covered financially if something bad happens.

Disdude
07-26-2012, 05:54 PM
You've done your homework for sure. I'm sure you'll be fine. It's getting close. Just over 20 days to go. I know we're excited.

Be sure to do your online checkin. When we checked in a week ago, all of the times were still available except 11-11:30. I don't think it will be a full ship.

BrerGnat
07-27-2012, 08:50 AM
You've done your homework for sure. I'm sure you'll be fine. It's getting close. Just over 20 days to go. I know we're excited.

Be sure to do your online checkin. When we checked in a week ago, all of the times were still available except 11-11:30. I don't think it will be a full ship.

I think I've done everything online that I can. I registered the kids for the club, made some Palo reservations (dinner and brunch) for DH and I, did the online check in, and called to request a private table for dinner. We have a 12:00-12:30 port arrival time which will work out well for us, as we are staying in a hotel in Cocoa Sat night. We can sleep in, take our time in the morning, park the car at our leisure, etc.

I don't think the ship is anywhere close to full. If you go online like you want to book that date, EVERY category of cabin is still available, with multiple cabins in the inventory. That's great news for us!!! I'm especially concerned that the kid's clubs not be too overcrowded as our boys are on the Autism spectrum and don't like to be in places where there is mass chaos going on, and they won't want to stay there if that's the case. Hopefully, with the start of many schools around the country happening in the next couple weeks, we will enjoy a less than full cruise. :thumbsup:

Disdude
07-27-2012, 07:40 PM
Wow!

You really do have it worked out. I hope you have a great time.

...and called to request a private table for dinner.

We always request this too and so far it's always been accommodated. I'm sure it's unnecessary but we always go to where they are set up to do dining changes (probably Royal Palace according to recent navigators) to verify our seating. That way there is still time to change plans before dinner. We have main dinning but do not mind switching if it helps to ensure a private table.

joanna71985
07-27-2012, 10:48 PM
Have a great time! :)

Lindsey310
08-11-2012, 02:14 PM
Please book this ASAP!!! We were like you; had never cruised before and wanted to try a shorter cruise. (def had to get my "sea legs" it's quite an experience.)

You will love the Disney dream!!! It is phenomenal!!!!!! Everything is perfect from the food to the cabins to the ship to the shows!! It's a great way to get your feet wet on cruising! It was the perfect amount of time. You will adore castaway cay! The only downside: Disney is so spectacular, you will probably never want to cruise with another line. I know we don't! Spoiled rotten by DCL!
:yes:

Christine
08-14-2012, 01:28 PM
FANTASTIC!!! Enjoy!

For closed loop you can do it with just a birth certificate- we did that last year. So no worried on the passports!!

Have a SUPER time!!

ElenitaB
08-27-2012, 11:32 PM
So how was it, Natalie?