PDA

View Full Version : wheel chair comfort

Mrs Bus Driver
07-20-2012, 10:46 PM
Planning a trip with DD's boy friend who has severe arthritis so he will be using a wheel chair. I should also mention that he normally uses a walker so not a lot of experience in a chair. He doesn't want to use a scooter because of personal reasons. DD doesn't mind pushing him around, think they prefer it because it gives them a chance to be closer. Only problem is that the chair becomes uncomfortable after a while. Can any one recommend one wheel chair over another for comfort? Or maybe a way to make the chair more comfortable? Thanks.:mickey:

Renfairwedding
07-20-2012, 11:39 PM
I use a gel pad on my electric wheel chair. It an awesome cushy ride.
I have used foam pads in regular push chairs.

Disney Hungarian
07-21-2012, 09:27 AM
I spent the last month building my mother's wheelchair for comfort. Quite an experience. First off, the chair:
Ultralight chairs are the most comfortable because they are customizable to the rider (I went with the Invacare ProSpin X4.)
Lightweight chairs are basic hospital fare and very few adjustments that can be made.
Cushions are available in all shapes/sizes and configurations ( from ones for sports to ones to prevent pressure sores from inactivity)
Wheels play a large part in the comfort:
High pressure pneumatic tires (145psi) offer the least roll resistance, but are uncomfortable due to the jarring.
Regular pressure pneumatic tires (65psi) are probabably the most comfortable, but have a higher roll resistance.
Airless tires are maintenance free and offer a good compromise. I can recommend the SHOX line of tires.
Front casters:
I went with the Frog Legs front fork suspension (google it.) It was probably the most dramatic difference in comfort. They are amazing at reducing vibrations. Either way, get a 1.5" wide front caster for WDW. Once again I suggest the Frog Legs caster wheel. It is just designed better (rolls through carpet.)

You can find widely differing prices too. So if you do decide to buy, check a few places on-line. Sportaid is a good place to start.

Hope that helped some. Ask if you need more detailed info.

Mrs Bus Driver
07-21-2012, 09:57 AM
That was very helpful and I will be looking up some of your suggestions. However we will be renting a chair. The young man in question doesn't have his own chair, he is very proud. But WDW which he loves is just to much and a chair is necessary. I am hoping to make the trip as enjoyable as possible. So advice on what to look for is very helpful. I have tried looking at seat cushions but don't know enough about them. Sitting for long periods in the chair gets uncomfortable for him. Since we will only need the chair for less then a week can you recommend a good cushion for the money? :mickey:

Disney Hungarian
07-21-2012, 10:08 AM
I would recommend checking the big auction site. I would recommend a 4" thick cushion since you will be renting, I have no idea on what size to suggest. Maybe just measure him and get a cushion to fit him and not the chair. Measure across the widest part of the hips while seated and get an 18" length as that is a standard wheelchair length. I purchased one NIB for $40. Retail was $540. Another suggestion. Since he is used to using a walker. My mother gets out of the chair and uses it as a walker to prevent the discomfort of sitting too long. She can only walk about 50 feet but that does seem to help her.

PETE FROM NYC
07-21-2012, 08:03 PM
For a comfortable cushion, try one of those solid foam hot seats that hunters use in the woods. They usually come in hunter orange, or camo. I have several that I use outside of the woods. I am using one as I write this because at my computer is an audience type, all metal, folding chair.
When Dad was still with us, he used a similar one for his wheelchair.

Mrs Bus Driver
07-21-2012, 08:33 PM
Sorry what is NIB?

Disney Hungarian
07-21-2012, 08:37 PM
Sorry.
NIB, short for New in box.

Mrs Bus Driver
07-23-2012, 09:15 AM
Thanks I am always last person to learn these things. :mickey: