PDA

View Full Version : Evening Extra Magic Hours Cut by an Hour

DizneyFreak2002
07-20-2012, 06:20 PM
Starting January 2013, WDW will be cutting Extra Magic Hours by an hour... Instead of the parks remaining open an extra 3 hours, they now will be open an extra 2 hours...

Don't know if this is only for slower months or if this is a permanent change... We'll obviously have to wait for the summer schedules later in the year...

HOWEVER: They have updated their site to show the official policy is now 2 hours, so maybe this is a permanent reduction of EMH...

Each day, one of the 4 Walt Disney World theme parks opens one hour early or remains open up to 2 hours after regular closing time. Additionally, Disney Water Parks offer Extra Magic Hours during select times of year.

ChipNDale79
07-20-2012, 06:45 PM
So they've raised prices yet again on us and now they are cutting back on some magic hours.

Magic Hours is a major reason why we stay on property.....

DizneyRox
07-20-2012, 07:26 PM
That last hour is normally pretty dead...

Another cheap out though... Changing the wording on their site though; that appears to be the kiss of death. 2 hours still fits the old, "up to three hours". Doesn't mean it will be three hours, but it could. If they change it to up to two hours, it will never be three. And, the word OR is disturbing. Wording seems to indicate they will only have morning or evening at one of the parks. Didn't they at times have morning at one park AND evening at another? Doesn't sound like that will happen anymore.

I will say, I'm having a blast cruising on vacation, and Disney doesn't appear to want our return. Booked another while still on board the last one, and we're thinking of another next summer (different than our future booking).

seanyred
07-20-2012, 07:26 PM
So they've raised prices yet again on us and now they are cutting back on some magic hours.

Magic Hours is a major reason why we stay on property.....

It feels that way. But remember EMH are for hotel guests and I don't think the hotel prices have gone up or at least not as crazy as ticket prices.

DizneyFreak2002
07-20-2012, 07:29 PM
It feels that way. But remember EMH are for hotel guests and I don't think the hotel prices have gone up or at least not as crazy as ticket prices.

The hotel prices have increased too... For some reason, you never hear about those increases though...

seanyred
07-20-2012, 08:05 PM
The hotel prices have increased too... For some reason, you never hear about those increases though...

In 2004 here are the starting rates taken from Birnbaum

Value: $77
Moderate: $133
Deluxe: $199

Now below are the starting rates taken from Unofficial Guide 2011

Value: $82
Moderate: $149
Deluxe: $240

Based on those numbers prices have gone up but not nearly as quickly as ticket prices. I agree that it still seems like a way to save money for Disney and yet another thing taken away.

But in all honesty it doesn't effect me directly since we don't use EMH that often any more.

cer
07-20-2012, 08:05 PM
wow. just wow.

We have never taken advantage of the evening emh, well, maybe only like the first hour - we are pretty faithful for morning emh, but this is disappointing for those who embrace evening emh.

I thought they only offered 1 emh time per day either morning or evening.... well, at least I thought it was that way....

Rox, Who are you cruising with?

cer
07-20-2012, 08:10 PM
As far as hotel rates go, I know for sure of one change that has occurred since 2006 and that is the increase on weekend days. It used to be a standard flat rate based on the season, but now there is a seasonal rate and then a seasonal weekend rate....

DizneyFreak2002
07-20-2012, 08:25 PM

Based on those numbers prices have gone up but not nearly as quickly as ticket prices. I agree that it still seems like a way to save money for Disney and yet another thing taken away.

But in all honesty it doesn't effect me directly since we don't use EMH that often any more.

One night at Poly is $467, not sure what Birnbaum is printing honestly.... That is without any tickets, just the room...

But regardless, prices are increasing and more and more are being taken away... Standard Operating Procedure for TDO...

Polynesian Dweller
07-20-2012, 08:25 PM
If they use the extra time to improve maintenance, and they have said they don't have enough, then it's a good thing. If they don't then that will say a lot.

Cinderelley
07-21-2012, 04:49 AM
I work nights. We always took advantage of evening emh. I'm sad to see it get shortened.

AgentC
07-21-2012, 07:54 AM
I certainly understand why some people will be upset that the hours are being cut. Anytime there is a benefit and it is cut/reduced/eliminated, it certainly feels like a loss even in you don't use it.

However, I have to wonder if it is just not worth it for them to be open the extra hour. My family almost never stays at EMH for the whole time and I think we are pretty typical. About two weeks ago, we did go to MK when they had a 2 am close due to EMH ans stayed almost the whole time. MK was deserted after 12:30.

I think what will be interesting to see is what happens to the hours during the slow season. EMH is much more valuable when the parks close early. I've seen some early reports that MK is closing an hour later in January on its EMH nights than its non EMH nights.

ChipNDale79
07-21-2012, 08:02 AM
I certainly understand why some people will be upset that the hours are being cut. Anytime there is a benefit and it is cut/reduced/eliminated, it certainly feels like a loss even in you don't use it.

However, I have to wonder if it is just not worth it for them to be open the extra hour. My family almost never stays at EMH for the whole time and I think we are pretty typical. About two weeks ago, we did go to MK when they had a 2 am close due to EMH ans stayed almost the whole time. MK was deserted after 12:30.

I think what will be interesting to see is what happens to the hours during the slow season. EMH is much more valuable when the parks close early. I've seen some early reports that MK is closing an hour later in January on its EMH nights than its non EMH nights.

The really late hours like you described, I understand cutting the hours, we've been there when the park is open until midnight or 1 and then had 3 hours of magic hours after that. that's really late.

Where it really makes a difference is when the park closes much earlier, my wife and I went a few years ago during the off season, all of the parks were closed by 9, to me, thats just too early.

ChipNDale79
07-21-2012, 08:04 AM

Rooms, Dining, and Ticket prices have all increased.

My wife and I went on our honeymoon to WDW in 2008, that trip cost us $2,300, that same exact trip now cost at least $2,900.

GAN
07-21-2012, 09:26 AM
In addition, they've also cut the Park Hours in August, I noticed(since we'll be there). Typically, MK is open until 11PM on Fridays with the 3-hour EMH ..closing at 2AM. Now, even though the reduction doesn't officially go into place until 2013, the park closes at 10PM ...1AM with the EMH. Seems like they've managed to work around it. We'll be there on the 17th and we are usually AM EMH'ers anyway but were hoping to stay till 2AM that particular night -it's the day we arrive so the kids were all into it.

seanyred
07-21-2012, 01:10 PM
Rooms, Dining, and Ticket prices have all increased.

My wife and I went on our honeymoon to WDW in 2008, that trip cost us $2,300, that same exact trip now cost at least $2,900.

I agree they all went up but ticket prices take the bulk of the increase. That's all I was saying.

missastrocat
07-21-2012, 02:42 PM
This really stinks. I'm one of those people who get to the park around 11am-noonish and stays all three hours of the EMH. I'm a night owl and LOVED the magic of the parks at night.

When we go this year, AK closes at 5pm, and DHS/MK close at 8pm most evenings and Epcot at 9pm. In the future (after this trip), this will be a deterrent to go on dates where the parks close early.

I went to the official website and looked up hours when I'll be going, and it still is showing 3 hours in the evening for EMH. I do see the change on the "benefits of staying on property" with the 2 hour wording.

DizneyFreak2002
07-21-2012, 03:13 PM
This really stinks. I'm one of those people who get to the park around 11am-noonish and stays all three hours of the EMH. I'm a night owl and LOVED the magic of the parks at night.

When we go this year, AK closes at 5pm, and DHS/MK close at 8pm most evenings and Epcot at 9pm. In the future (after this trip), this will be a deterrent to go on dates where the parks close early.

I went to the official website and looked up hours when I'll be going, and it still is showing 3 hours in the evening for EMH. I do see the change on the "benefits of staying on property" with the 2 hour wording.

You are going this year??? The change goes into effect January 2013... The times for this year have not been altered... and probably won't be since the calenders have been released for some time now...

Pop Centurion
07-21-2012, 03:37 PM
For me, that last hour when people start to clear out is the best. We usually ride our favorite attractions multiple times in a row.
It just seems like all corporations in general are cutting more & more for the sake of profit margins. I know my company set a record profit margin one quarter & a couple weeks later were talking about how broke they are & needs to implement cut backs. Our annual profit last year was 3.8 Billion!!!! 14% more than the previous year. Yet they continue to cut back. So it's not surprising to see Disney do this. But in Disney's case their cut backs are effecting the consumer (park goers) & if it causes a drop in attendance, they hurt themselves rather than gain.

Stu29573
07-21-2012, 05:55 PM
I cant get too worked up about this since it has long been stated that the EMHs were really an issue when it comes to park maintanance. This could actually be a good thing. Also, rather selfishly, I remind myself that I have never been able to hang for that long anyway. I prefer getting there at opening and going until close. Still, I can understand some people being upset.

GAN
07-22-2012, 08:01 AM
You are going this year??? The change goes into effect January 2013... The times for this year have not been altered... and probably won't be since the calenders have been released for some time now...

Yes... the changes go into effect in 2013, which is why they are reducing general Park Hours now and saying the changes go into place in 2013. So we'll reduce the Park closing by an hour and just tell them we are keeping the 3-hour EMH.....

missastrocat
07-22-2012, 11:06 AM

I know it doesn't affect this trip but it will our future trips as we are night owls. Maybe the new fast pass system will be so efficient it will cut down queue times.:shrug:

mgmnut
07-22-2012, 11:13 AM
We take total advantage of that last dead hour of EMH. Last summer we were at MK until 3am on 2 nights of our trip. I don't think cutting the on site benefits is a very good idea, it makes you feel unappreciated as a resort guest.

DizneyFreak2002
07-22-2012, 11:22 AM
Yes... the changes go into effect in 2013, which is why they are reducing general Park Hours now and saying the changes go into place in 2013. So we'll reduce the Park closing by an hour and just tell them we are keeping the 3-hour EMH.....

Ah ok, I see what you are saying... I didn't realize they had cut hours this summer and for the rest of the year... I honestly don't pay much attention to their operating calendar if I am not planning on being down there...

Thanks for that bit of info because it actually ads to more evidence of what I have been saying for a while... they cut cut cut while jacking up prices... So, you continue to get less for the high prices you pay...

DizneyFreak2002
07-22-2012, 11:22 AM
I know it doesn't affect this trip but it will our future trips as we are night owls. Maybe the new fast pass system will be so efficient it will cut down queue times.:shrug:

My mistake... I thought you meant this year... Sorry... :)

DNS
07-22-2012, 11:50 AM
As someone else mentioned, park hours do seem to be getting shorter all the time as well. I noticed some days the MK is closing at 8:00 when we will be there, but no party going on. We always take advantage of the evening 3 hours, so I am very disappointed. It is a nice break to be there when there are less crowds. I am always amazed at the cuts they make while increasing prices, then offering free dining to get people in. :shake: Makes no sense to me.

Gator
07-22-2012, 12:12 PM
As someone else mentioned, park hours do seem to be getting shorter all the time as well.

Actually, regular park hours are bit longer than they used to be. Back in 2004, I wanted to go to WDW during Jan, but the MK closed at 6pm!! So we went the first week of Feb instead. Not January hours at MK go to 7pm and somtimes 8pm. So they've actually grown a bit since I first started going.

As far as EMH go, I've only done it twice: once at MK and once at AK. Both times, when the last hour was going on, the parks were virtually empty. I liked that fact because we could walk onto any ride we wanted with virtually no wait. However, hitting EMH twice in 6 trips and nearly 50 days in the parks says I really don't care that much about it. So.....

Jared
07-22-2012, 02:10 PM
It's another example of Disney taking the cheap route. There's no way around that. Still, I guess it's hard to blame them this time. By all accounts, the last hour of the really late Extra Magic Hours, especially at the Magic Kingdom, is completely dead. I imagine it wasn't worth staffing the park if nobody was in it.

I'm not saying this this is right. I'm just saying that I get it.

clarkee
07-22-2012, 03:06 PM
I am very disappointed to hear about the change to EMH in the evening. We travel with four adults and two children. The daytime in the parks is all about the kids. As they are pretty young, they crash pretty early. Once the kids are asleep, two or three adults head back to the parks to ride all the big kid rides. The EMH allow us all to get what we want out of our vacation. It is a major perk of staying on property. I agree that losing services while paying more makes it more and more difficult to justify huge expenses despite our love of Disney!:confused:

BugeyedMuggy
07-22-2012, 04:11 PM
No matter if you are there at the EMH it allows other guests to enjoy those time thus making the daytime hours more enjoyable for you. Just another reason we are debating buying into Disney or just continue renting the points from the people who have droped interest due to more cuts and increased prices.

kakn7294
07-22-2012, 05:23 PM
While it's disappointing to hear that they're cutting back yet again, I do agree that the last hour is pretty quiet. The only night we took advantage on this recent trip, the MK was clearing out pretty quickly at the 2 hr mark. I fully understand why they would want to cut back to save money. If not that many people are in the parks, why pay all those employees?

dnickels
07-22-2012, 05:25 PM
.. Back in 2004, I wanted to go to WDW during Jan, but the MK closed at 6pm!!...

Are you sure there wasn't some sort of weird circumstance there? If you look at when sunset was in January 2004, it ranged from 5:40 PM to 6:04 PM. Were they really shooting off the fireworks for Wishes just 20 minutes after sunset or even before sunset? I know Disney has been steadily increasing hours over the past few years but I can't imagine they ever closed MK at 6 unless there was some sort of special event going on. Also, if you look at the internet archive on Intercot using the wayback machine I see some 7 PM closings, but not 6 PM.

I wonder if weak bookings are leading to the cutting hours or if it's purely cost-cutting? In addition, Disney has tended to add hours when things get closer so it will be interesting to see if any of those closing times get pushed back by an hour or so when the actual dates in 2013 start to roll around.

MinnieMommie
07-22-2012, 08:30 PM
This cut back in hrs should help with some of the transportation issues related to the cutting back of monorail hrs...I'm just saying

joonyer
07-22-2012, 08:44 PM
Pay more, Get less. It's no different at Disney than in the rest of the world, so I'm not really surprised. But we are some of those few people who stay in the evening EMH parks until they run us out, and we really loved all the "walk-ons" on Space Mountain and other attractions in those last "deserted" hours. Too bad.

DizneyFreak2002
07-22-2012, 08:50 PM
Pay more, Get less. It's no different at Disney than in the rest of the world, so I'm not really surprised. But we are some of those few people who stay in the evening EMH parks until they run us out, and we really loved all the "walk-ons" on Space Mountain and other attractions in those last "deserted" hours. Too bad.

There is another resort just a few miles down I-4 that is giving a lot more... Just sayin... :)

joonyer
07-22-2012, 09:01 PM
There is another resort just a few miles down I-4 that is giving a lot more... Just sayin... :)

Yeah, we love going there too. I keep thinking Disney is going to have to do something really amazing to top some of Universal's new state of the art attractions, but so far, not yet.

BrerSchultzy
07-23-2012, 08:58 AM
If the parks are so dead in that third EMH that you can just walk on any ride you want to, then how many people can this really effect? I'm not too upset by this change...in fact, I feel like this could be a really good thing. More time for maintenance and maybe a little extra money for hiring extra cast members in other areas. And yes, I fully expect a full-round of "But Disney isn't doing it for that, they're doing it to increase profits." If we don't see any improvement in the park over the next 5 years, then I'll jump on that bandwagon.

TinkerbellT421
07-23-2012, 09:53 AM
I'm 'eh' on this change personally. Doesn't effect us too much. DBF and I were talking about it this morning. We are usually so exhausted by that time anyway that we are out and gone within the first hour of EMH if we even go to the park that has EMH. Last year we were at Epcot one night and after Illuminations we realized there were EMH and we were like Oh okay cool lol we didn't even know until we overheard someone talking about it, and even then we stayed about an extra half hour or so and then bailed. But I can see how some people will be upset if they plan on EMH during their trips.

HackLaSalle
07-23-2012, 11:04 AM

In terms of hours? UO closes everyday at 9 PM during July with no extra hours in the evening, Every park at WDW with the exception of AK is open to 9 PM or later and some open later than that for EMH

My guess is that they found out that the later it got the worse guest behavior got, the less time for maintenance which we've all complained about and that the parks weren't all that crowded at the time. And obviously it's a dollars and cents move. I personally don't like it but I can see the reasoning behind it.

Aurora
07-23-2012, 12:00 PM
Are you sure there wasn't some sort of weird circumstance there? If you look at when sunset was in January 2004, it ranged from 5:40 PM to 6:04 PM. Were they really shooting off the fireworks for Wishes just 20 minutes after sunset or even before sunset? I know Disney has been steadily increasing hours over the past few years but I can't imagine they ever closed MK at 6 unless there was some sort of special event going on. Also, if you look at the internet archive on Intercot using the wayback machine I see some 7 PM closings, but not 6 PM.

I wonder if weak bookings are leading to the cutting hours or if it's purely cost-cutting? In addition, Disney has tended to add hours when things get closer so it will be interesting to see if any of those closing times get pushed back by an hour or so when the actual dates in 2013 start to roll around.

We went a few months after 9/11, In January 2002. The MK was closing during the week at 6 and 7 p.m. There were no EMH hours then, and the week we were there, there was no nighttime parade. Crowds then were much, much lower than they are now.

Re: the EMH change, I'm not really worked up about it. Park hours have fluctuated for at least the last 20 years. Evening extra magic hours are not all that old -- they used to have early entry in the mornings, but evening EMH hours only started about six or seven years ago. I still think of it as a nice perk, even if it's two hours instead of three.

Goofster
07-24-2012, 11:14 AM
We usually take advantage of EMH at night in the MK and Epcot when we go in early March. We usually stay for 2.5 of the 3 hours and, at least to me, it always seems decently crowded still. Not packed, but not a ghost town either.

DizneyFreak2002
07-25-2012, 10:11 PM
Take this with a grain of salt, but I understand there are rumblings through the halls of TDO that EMH are soon to be a thing of the past... So, you think losing an hour is bad, well, you may lose the whole thing... Please, don't take this as concrete or anything happening any time soon... But apparently it is something under consideration...

Could longer operating hour be in our future without EMH???

ChipNDale79
07-26-2012, 08:40 AM
Take this with a grain of salt, but I understand there are rumblings through the halls of TDO that EMH are soon to be a thing of the past... So, you think losing an hour is bad, well, you may lose the whole thing... Please, don't take this as concrete or anything happening any time soon... But apparently it is something under consideration...

That's a major reason we stay on property, if that does happen, we'll probably save money and stay offsite.

DizneyRox
07-26-2012, 12:41 PM
More likely they go back to charging for the EMH like they used to. A nominal charge isn't all that bad. It kept the crowds down, that's for sure.

ChipNDale79
07-26-2012, 12:50 PM
More likely they go back to charging for the EMH like they used to. A nominal charge isn't all that bad. It kept the crowds down, that's for sure.

depends on what nominal is......

DizneyRox
07-26-2012, 01:02 PM
Used to be like $11 or something if memory serves me correctly. I'd guess like $20 is probably a good pricepoint. It's enough to keep a lot of people out, but not so much that it wouldn't cover expenses I think. Although, they have no trouble selling MNSSHP and MVMCP at $60 a head, granted there's a little bit more going on at those events. Anything more than $20 I'd probably pass. It would also need to be offered at more than just MK.

Aurora
07-26-2012, 01:07 PM

It makes sense. Since EMH began (it was announced in late 2002), they've added Saratoga Springs, Animal Kingdom Villas, Bay Lake Tower and Art of Animation resorts, an increase of more than 4,000 rooms, whose guests are all entitled to EMH. That's in addition to more than 20,000 rooms that were already on property.

With those numbers, policing whether guests in the park during EMH are staying on Disney property has to be more inconvenient than it's worth. They've obviously had issues since they moved from wristbands to showing the room key at attractions, which means they have to staff a CM at each attraction whose sole job is to check key cards.

If they do go to extended regular hours though, they'll never be as long as some of the really late MK evening EMH hours. Plus they'll have to think of some other incentive to get people who are on the fence about staying on Disney property to take the leap.

That's because it was limited to 5,000 guests. No way they'd cap it there today.

joonyer
07-26-2012, 01:09 PM
I'll be surprised (but not shocked) if they do away with the Extra Magic Hours concept completely. WDW is all about filling hotel rooms and offering extra "perks" help them do that. EMH, along with the free transportation system are probably the two biggest perks that most WDW resort guests like. Still, anything's possible I guess. What's next, charging for bus or boat rides?

Aurora
07-26-2012, 02:21 PM
I'll be surprised (but not shocked) if they do away with the Extra Magic Hours concept completely. WDW is all about filling hotel rooms and offering extra "perks" help them do that. EMH, along with the free transportation system are probably the two biggest perks that most WDW resort guests like. Still, anything's possible I guess. What's next, charging for bus or boat rides?

Don't forget free dining. I'd be willing to bet that attracts more people to stay at Disney resorts than EMH does. Also, you don't need to stay onsite to take advantage of the free transportation.

mariak
07-26-2012, 03:38 PM
But in Disney's case their cut backs are effecting the consumer (park goers) & if it causes a drop in attendance, they hurt themselves rather than gain.

I couldn't agree more! I think Disney intends to self-destruct. Everything they've been doing lately....fast pass enforcement, monorail service cuts, price hikes, and now this....seems like they don't want any of us in the parks. My husband and I purchased the Premiere Annual Passes last September for our family of four because we knew our nephew was getting married in San Diego this August and we planned to hit Disneyland for a few days while we're in California. The actual pass is a pretty, gold, plastic card and the 20% discount has been great! We like having the hard, plastic card vs. the paper passes so we had considered getting the premier pass again just to have a more durable option. However, the price for the Premiere Pass has gone up from $750.00 to $850. We will not be renewing. A hundred dollar increase is absolutely ridiculous!!! Now we probably won’t even get annual passes at all and probably won’t visit again as a family until after Fantasyland is complete. It’s not worth it. I’m just getting that fed up!:down: We LOVE WDW, but it’s the principal of the situation. They seem to be doing all they can to push us out! When attendance goes down, maybe then they’ll get it. Why do they have to have more?...more, more, more. I wish they could stop being so greedy and be happy with the profits they're making. If they would, the park-goers would be happy, and they would have all the profits they could handle. If not, a little karma may come back to bite them....

More specifically to this topic, our family gets way more out of the late night EMHs. Our girls, 8 & 12yrs, can close the parks down easily. We too enjoy riding some attractions over and over during the last hour. It’s the ONLY thing that really makes it worth it for us to stay on property. We get VERY LITTLE out of the ONE early magic hour….especially in MK where they don’t even open Splash Mountain or Big Thunder Mountain Railroad during that time! I hope Disney will re-think this decision!

Maria

Jared
07-26-2012, 04:41 PM
seems like they don't want any of us in the parks.
And yet, the parks are more crowded now than ever before. How do you reconcile that?

Until the parks start to suffer in terms of attendance, I don't see things changing.

mariak
07-26-2012, 04:59 PM
And yet, the parks are more crowded now than ever before. How do you reconcile that?

Until the parks start to suffer in terms of attendance, I don't see things changing.

Right. My hope is that more and more people will get fed up and attendance will drop, forcing them to take a look at what they've done. I remember reading a book way back in like 2003 or so (I think it was The Unofficial Guide to Disney World or something like that) that mentioned that, Disney had taken away extra Magic Hours at one point and there was no incentive for people to stay on property. I can’t remember all the details but I think it affected their bottom line and they restructured EMHs and it brought people back to the resorts. I think that’s kind of where we are with all of this. We may just get to the point where we’ll stay off property and explore more of Florida rather than making a complete WDW vacation of it. Our 8-year-old might finally be big enough to ride the Harry Potter ride at Universal so we’ll be going there soon. If enough people spread their hard earned dollars elsewhere, maybe Disney will listen again.:fingers:

Maria

ChipNDale79
07-27-2012, 08:23 AM

Its because WDW has become a right of passage for so many kids, Disney doesn't care about the repeat visitors anymore, they know that these familes taking their kids on their once in a life time trip are going to pay boat loads of money, simply because it's a once in a life time trip.

I was a thrilled when Eisner was kicked out and Iger stepped into the CEO role, but Iger is proving to be just another resident of Wall Street, it's all about money and who cares about the customer.

Cinderelley
07-27-2012, 10:29 PM
Forgive my ignorance, but how do you know attendance is increasing? I thought Disney didn't release those figures. I'm really curious about the numbers now.

Jared
07-27-2012, 11:43 PM
Forgive my ignorance, but how do you know attendance is increasing? I thought Disney didn't release those figures. I'm really curious about the numbers now.
Well, we know from estimates released by various independent groups. By all accounts, attendance at Walt Disney World is continuing to climb. There really is no such thing as the "off-season" anymore.

DizneyFreak2002
07-28-2012, 12:04 AM
Well, we know from estimates released by various independent groups. By all accounts, attendance at Walt Disney World is continuing to climb. There really is no such thing as the "off-season" anymore.

You sure it continues to grow??? It has been stagnant since at least 2009... The only WDW park to see any kind of increase was DAK and that was when Everest opened... But otherwise, its been flat...

DizneyRox
07-28-2012, 08:17 AM
Just using my own eyes on when we used to go (always around the 4th of July) parks appear to be less crowded than they used to. In early 2000s parks would consistently close do to capacity, etc. Now, it doesn't seem like that happens as often, PLUS you have things like Wonders of Life that are closed, which would reduce capacity of the park.

Even visits to MK which I would aoid like the plague don't seem all that crowded anymore.

Maybe the droves of people are now more spread out over the year instead of spiking at holidays. That I can't comment on...

PirateLover
07-28-2012, 10:37 AM
Maybe the droves of people are now more spread out over the year instead of spiking at holidays. That I can't comment on...

Ding ding ding! I think this may be the answer. We went in two different "off" seasons- early May in '04 and early December in '05. Both of those visits were great, hardly any crowds. When we went back during those same time periods in '07, we were faced with much larger crowds. This made us nervous for the next few visits which ended up being the week before the 4th of July. It was slightly more crowded, but not packed to the gills like we expected. We were still able to get day-of ADRs, and our resort was definitely not full.

DizneyFreak2002
07-28-2012, 11:15 AM
And now Magical Express has seen a decline in users/riders... So that tells me:

1) people staying offsite more or....
2) less people visiting WDW

Melanie
07-28-2012, 11:41 AM
You sure it continues to grow??? It has been stagnant since at least 2009... The only WDW park to see any kind of increase was DAK and that was when Everest opened... But otherwise, its been flat...

I've been to the parks a lot in the last 3 years and I can certainly attest that crowds year round are bigger than ever. It's true, there is no down time anymore. But I also agree that it seems to have leveled off and spread out through the year. I think this is a good thing!

Christine (cantgetenuff) and I were commenting a few weeks ago when we were in the parks that if not for the tour groups, no one would be there. Well, not really, but you know what I mean. ;)

MNNHFLTX
07-28-2012, 02:35 PM
If you look at when sunset was in January 2004, it ranged from 5:40 PM to 6:04 PM. Were they really shooting off the fireworks for Wishes just 20 minutes after sunset or even before sunset? I know Disney has been steadily increasing hours over the past few years but I can't imagine they ever closed MK at 6 unless there was some sort of special event going on. Also, if you look at the internet archive on Intercot using the wayback machine I see some 7 PM closings, but not 6 PM.They don't always have a night-time fireworks show, especially during non-peak months. That said, I don't recall the Magic Kingdom closing at 6 p.m. either, except for special events, even way back.

I feel for the people who liked to make the most of the evening Extra Magic Hours. Personally, it won't affect my touring style as we tend to take advantage of the morning EMH rather than the evening. In fact, I wouldn't mind if they made the morning EMH 2 hours long too to match the evening ones. ;)

ChipNDale79
07-28-2012, 04:50 PM
And now Magical Express has seen a decline in users/riders... So that tells me:

1) people staying offsite more or....
2) less people visiting WDW

Watch for Iger to ax ME next....

DizneyRox
07-28-2012, 06:13 PM
I can't believe it's been 'free' this long. Mears used to charge $20 (might have been more right before ME came along) for the service and that didn't include luggage delivery to your room.

I don't think it's a stretch that they will be charging for it in the not too distant future...

Above prices are/were per person, imagine adding $100 on your next trip.

ChipNDale79
07-29-2012, 02:18 PM
I can't believe it's been 'free' this long. Mears used to charge $20 (might have been more right before ME came along) for the service and that didn't include luggage delivery to your room.

I don't think it's a stretch that they will be charging for it in the not too distant future...

Above prices are/were per person, imagine adding $100 on your next trip.

Might as well get a cab or rent a car.

HackLaSalle
07-30-2012, 01:09 AM
I feel that there entirely too much negativity in this thread and more so based on here-say and opinion than on fact.

Why is enforcing fast pass times a bad thing? They are trying to improve the experience on the whole.

There seems to be a whole lot more coming into the parks then going out at this moment and regardless how you feel about the quality of it, which absolutely is up for debate, the quantity of it is pretty mind blowing.

There is an entire new land opening piece by piece in the Magic Kingdom in an area that desperately needed some new life.

There are refurbing Test Track which by many people's opinion was in severe need of it. A brand new value plus resort opened to compete with the family suites at Nickelodeon. It is an incredibly well themed resort with all sorts of fun new technology. A whole new land just opened in Disneyland...

I just don't see where they are nickel and diming. Yes maintenance needs to be improved. Yes there are still tons of attractions that need refurbs but with Walt Disney World being a once in a lifetime vacation for many people it's hard to put very popular attractions down for long periods without having the casual traveler freak out. Losing an hour of EMH stinks. I definitely dislike it but I don't think it's all doom and gloom. Further, I think they know that its a huge draw to stay at their resorts. If there was not EMH I would not stay at WDW. I would stay off site, rent a car or cab it and still use their transportation.

Bethis26fan
07-31-2012, 09:19 AM
We never used more than 2 hours of EMH anyway, but also we go in the winter and don't have the heat of they day you have in the summer.

Tekneek
07-31-2012, 04:23 PM
We really enjoyed the evening EMH. One less reason to stay on property. Almost every change makes it easier to stay off property and include more non-Disney offerings.

Jared
07-31-2012, 05:24 PM
but with Walt Disney World being a once in a lifetime vacation for many people
Not to say anything about the rest of your post, but this statement has actually been proven wrong in the past with real statistics. On any given day at Walt Disney World, a vast, vast majority of people have visited the parks in the past. It's more accurate to say that for some people, Walt Disney World is a "once-in-a-few-years" sort of trip.

Disney wants you to believe in the "once-in-a-lifetime" thing because it furthers the notion of Walt Disney World being a necessary pilgrimage for every child. This is one of the major points of the company's marketing.

HackLaSalle
08-01-2012, 12:19 AM
Not to say anything about the rest of your post, but this statement has actually been proven wrong in the past with real statistics. On any given day at Walt Disney World, a vast, vast majority of people have visited the parks in the past. It's more accurate to say that for some people, Walt Disney World is a "once-in-a-few-years" sort of trip.

Disney wants you to believe in the "once-in-a-lifetime" thing because it furthers the notion of Walt Disney World being a necessary pilgrimage for every child. This is one of the major points of the company's marketing.

Wow. That's crazy. Did not know that. Thank you for the info.

DizneyFreak2002
08-01-2012, 11:33 AM

If ME gets the axe (it won't), blame TDO... I don't think Iger really has much to say about small things like that... In fact, I doubt he has much to say, or cares to have much to say regarding big projects... He'll just sign his name and play around with his tech gadgets and ponder his political future....

DizneyFreak2002
08-01-2012, 11:35 AM
I've been to the parks a lot in the last 3 years and I can certainly attest that crowds year round are bigger than ever. It's true, there is no down time anymore. But I also agree that it seems to have leveled off and spread out through the year. I think this is a good thing!

Christine (cantgetenuff) and I were commenting a few weeks ago when we were in the parks that if not for the tour groups, no one would be there. Well, not really, but you know what I mean. ;)

No one says the crowds aren't there... But the crowds haven't grown... They are just spreading out over the course of the year... The numbers show the attendance is stagnant... The WDW parks have not seen attendance growth since DAK when it opened Everest...

SurferStitch
08-01-2012, 12:13 PM

Yep... E-Nights. I loved them! For $12 you pretty much got the MK to yourself! It was worth every penny and more, and the additional cost kept the crowds down. Also, they capped the attendance at a certain amount, so that helped, too.

I would much prefer an E-Night type of thing to the current EMH system. Evening EMH's are just waaaaaay too busy!

barnaby
08-01-2012, 12:43 PM
No one says the crowds aren't there... But the crowds haven't grown... They are just spreading out over the course of the year... The numbers show the attendance is stagnant... The WDW parks have not seen attendance growth since DAK when it opened Everest...

Given the current dismal state of the economy, what has attendance done at other theme parks?
I realize comparing WDW to say Great Adventure is apples to oranges, only real comp is Universal.
I am not a business guy, but if you told me my business would stay flat when many businesses were going backwards, I'd take the flat. Again, I realize that may not be acceptable for Disney, but given the current state of things economy, I think expectations of growth have to be lowered.

DizneyFreak2002
08-01-2012, 02:29 PM
Given the current dismal state of the economy, what has attendance done at other theme parks?
I realize comparing WDW to say Great Adventure is apples to oranges, only real comp is Universal.
I am not a business guy, but if you told me my business would stay flat when many businesses were going backwards, I'd take the flat. Again, I realize that may not be acceptable for Disney, but given the current state of things economy, I think expectations of growth have to be lowered.

IOA has gone up 30% and then again 29%.. Universal had only minimal increase last year, and to be honest, I don't know what they did the year before, but their attendance increased... And DCA is getting a HUGE jolt right now because of Carsland... So, other theme parks are seeing increases in attendance... WDW remains flat...

MinnieMommie
08-03-2012, 01:33 PM

I have to agree Jared. I have done lots of off peak visiting over the years including January. I must say from personal observation that the crowd level has certainly increased during these "off season" times. I can not say if this represents a growth in attendance or just a leveling among seasons. I can say though that the "off season" is much more populated that it had been years ago.

Stu29573
08-03-2012, 03:14 PM
I agree that off season aint what it used to be. I can remember going in early March in 1990 and pretty much having the parks to ourselves. In fact, I can remember that it didnt seem as fun as the busier times because it was just so empty!

The last time I went was pre Thanksgiving 2010. There were lots of folks, although not nearly like peak. All in all I prefer the more people.....to a point!

GAN
08-05-2012, 06:53 AM

I'd be curious to know what the actual statistics say regarding what percentage of guests are in the "once-in-a-few-years" (which would be me) vs. the "once-in-a-lifetime" (which would be people who just can't justify a return trip because of financial constraints). I'm not sure where you get off saying HackLasalle has been "proven" wrong -because I would say, just from casual observation, that maybe 50-75% fall into my category of every few years(or more frequent) which would leave maybe 25% or more in the "once-in-a-lifetime" category. Those being either because they just can't afford or they just don't care to ever return. To me, 25% + would be "many". Please share those numbers -I've often wondered about the percentage of guests that return regularly.

barnaby
08-05-2012, 10:46 AM
IOA has gone up 30% and then again 29%.. Universal had only minimal increase last year, and to be honest, I don't know what they did the year before, but their attendance increased... And DCA is getting a HUGE jolt right now because of Carsland... So, other theme parks are seeing increases in attendance... WDW remains flat...

Opening new "lands" and expansion wre the probable causes for the increases?
Let's see how MK does when the Fantasyland expansion is complete.

DizneyFreak2002
08-05-2012, 11:43 AM
Opening new "lands" and expansion wre the probable causes for the increases?
Let's see how MK does when the Fantasyland expansion is complete.

But it isn't meant to increase attendance... New Fantasyland is meant to help spread out the park capacity as MK was and is bursting at the seems and it can't handle the stress any longer... And it will succeed in serving its purpose... Adding capacity (not attendance) for a park that needs it badly...

barnaby
08-05-2012, 11:51 AM
But it isn't meant to increase attendance... New Fantasyland is meant to help spread out the park capacity as MK was and is bursting at the seems and it can't handle the stress any longer... And it will succeed in serving its purpose... Adding capacity (not attendance) for a park that needs it badly...

Gotcha, good point.

ImagiAsh
08-05-2012, 05:01 PM
For me, that last hour when people start to clear out is the best. We usually ride our favorite attractions multiple times in a row.

I agree with this. That last hour (even it ends up being at 3AM) is the best. It is so incredibly magical to walk through Frontierland, hear the music playing, and literally feel like you are the only person in the park. I rode Splash Mountain three times in a row and I was the only person on the ride. I realize from a business standpoint that it is not exactly cost effective to keep a park open for so few people, but that hour has brought me the best memories from each and every Disney vacation.

Tekneek
08-06-2012, 09:53 AM
I would much prefer an E-Night type of thing to the current EMH system. Evening EMH's are just waaaaaay too busy!

If my choice was only 1 or 2 hours of EMH, or a definite 3 with E-night, I'd take the latter. One of our best memories with our son was riding Splash Mountain and Big Thunder Mountain over and over during one of those. The only wait was however long it took you to get through the queue.

ValenciaCalling
09-05-2012, 03:24 PM
Oh, sure. NOW they shorten EMH. Now that I don't work there anymore...haha

I'm sorry. I know a lot of you are disappointed, but try to remember all those cast members that have been on their feet for 12+ hours. They need sleep too, folks. :(

quack arf squeak
09-05-2012, 04:38 PM
I'm through with Disney for a while. My kids are older and they are nickle and dimeing us to death. So for the next ten or so years we'll be taking cruises and seeing the rest of the country. I'll be one less head standing in long lines for a while. Goodbye.:ack:

Tekneek
09-09-2012, 09:45 AM
I know a lot of you are disappointed, but try to remember all those cast members that have been on their feet for 12+ hours.

That's a management problem.

disneynarula
09-12-2012, 09:54 AM
If they ended EMH I would probably stay off property.

We are staying off property at a condo for a week before our "disney" week and we are paying less for the whole week than it is costing us for two nights at AoA. The condo is huge with three bedrooms and has an awesome pool with a water slide. If EMH were cut we would probably stay the whole time off property since for us the evening EMH are a huge selling point.

We did get the free dining at AOA which was a huge perk for us and makes it more worth it.

I also miss the e-ticket nights. We loved those! I would be willing to pay a little for it.