PDA

View Full Version : We're NOT Going to Kansas... We're Going to Disney World! Day 6 Part 1

Mammabruski
07-20-2012, 12:20 PM
When I finished this day's report it was really long so I'm going to split it up...

Day 6, June 21

We were all up and out the door fairly early this morning reaching DAK just after opening… My Dad took all our passes and hustled over to EE and got us FPs and then met us at the Safari. Did you know (according to Weight Watchers) it is .9 miles from the park entrance to KS?! The line for Safari looked really long already and I was questioning our decision to not do FPs for KS in favor of EE. Luckily we walked right through the queue and got on our two week Safari! This is a first for my little one, as last year when we went to DAK it was during a full on, all day rain storm. Today was lovely, though. The safari was great and we saw lots of animals.

After the Safari we headed over to use our FPs for EE. With those and the baby swap some of us got to ride EE three times! Not me, once is enough… After EE we walked into the theater for the Nemo show and sat in the same area where we always sat when we’d get the Tusker House Lunch/Seating deal. I was worried that there would be a big line and wait since they discontinued that offer, but we were able to go in with no wait and enjoy the air conditioning. The show was awesome as usual and we sang along at many parts (it’s a morning drive favorite).

Dinoland USA was our next destination, in particular the Boneyard. By big girl had a blast, but my baby was a little scared by the roaring of the Dinosaurs. This is where the Mobile Magic App failed me, as did the Touring Plan App. I checked them both, one said See Now, the other 5 minute wait so I asked my little one if she wanted to ride a Dumbo like ride. She perked right up and we headed over. When I got there it was a 30 minute wait! Are you kidding me?! I was so disappointed because we couldn’t wait that long since we needed to head over to the Lion King show. So I had some bummed babies on my hands (big sister came over just as we were walking away from the ride). But there is one thing that I knew would make any child at WDW happy – a Mickey ice cream bar! Thank goodness for bibs…

The girls enjoyed their snack on our walk over to FotLK (I bought our last stroller ever for this trip – an awesome sit and stand from Graco that holds kiddos up to 50 lbs – I think it will come for the 2014 trip as well) and we waltzed right into the Lion Section. I don’t know which show I like better – Nemo or this one, they’re both amazing! After the show we had done all our (ok, my) must do’s since I wanted to keep it simple and we would decide tonight whether we’d come back tomorrow or go to MK.

I think I underrate DAK, and it would be nice to come for a second day to do things like the Nature Trails, the Planet watch, Bugs Life, Dinosaur, and meeting more characters; but to be honest those things just are not the biggest draw to my girls (ok, me). Anyways our last stop was Flametree BBQ, where I had some amazing ribs (only $11?!) and a delish beer (diet be darned). Next stop OKW and a good nap.

SBETigg
07-20-2012, 01:14 PM
I love AK mornings! Sounds like a great time. And I'm not surprised by that distance. I always feel like I do a lot of walking around in that park. Now it is confirmed.

faline
07-21-2012, 10:57 AM
Good shows, a safari and Expedition Everest!! Sounds like a full, and fun, morning at Animal Kingdom!

Zawadi
07-21-2012, 01:11 PM
DAK is our favourite park and understand your dilemma between FotLK and Nemo shows.

We love KS and usually do it several times during a trip (or even day) but really like to take slow walks along the trails and around the Tree of Life.

Walking around DAK after dark during the, now discontinued, evening EMH was a unique experience and is much missed.

DizNee143
07-21-2012, 09:49 PM
Sounds like you had a good day at AK!
I'm not a big fan of ths park either..I know I barely give it much of a thought..but we will be going in Sept..hopefully it won't be a waste and out 2 1/2 yr old daughter will have fun! :mickey: