PDA

View Full Version : tips to help keep toddlers safe in disney?

arielshouse
07-19-2012, 08:25 PM
Ok I'm going to Disney in September with my 2 toddlers! I'm really against the kid leash thing I feel only animals need to be leashed! I'll be taking my own double stroller so I can have it away from the parks! I would appreciate any tips on how to keep them safe! And any tips for taking toddlers to Disney in general! Thanx

chefmickey3
07-19-2012, 09:22 PM
We have visited Disney when each of our children were toddlers. We never did leashes - didn't work for me. Mark your stroller with a scarf or paint chip so you will recognize it after it has been moved. Plan ahead so you have an idea what you want to do and what they will enjoy. Try to keep their schedule as much as possible but keep flexible. It won't be exactly like home. Take it slow and enjoy the Disney details. Use fastpass and child swap to do the rides you want to do with height restrictions. Take lots of pictures. Pack shacks that they like for waiting in lines or breaks.

BrerGnat
07-20-2012, 09:09 AM
What kind of safety are you concerned about? I am strongly of the opinion that when you are with 2 toddlers at a large, crowded area, you and the other adult you are traveling with (be it your husband or someone else) need to be in constant agreement about who is watching whom. I have two boys, and when we would go to Disneyland, there was a constant back and forth dialogue going between DH and I "I've got X, you've got Y"..."I'm going to the restroom...can you watch X and Y until I get out"..."I'm getting in line for food with X, take Y to get a table." And so on. If you are both always aware of who is in charge of who, no one will wander away or get "lost." Remember, kids don't get lost, parents lose them. Don't get distracted by stuff, don't assume the other one has the kids, ever, unless you verbally and visually attest to it.

If your kids want to walk, let them, but always keep your eyes on THEM, not anything else. Hold their hand or keep them at arm's length at all times. In serious crowds, put them in the stroller and INSIST that they be strapped in so they can't hop out if you momentarily stop for some reason.

The one thing I will tell you is that going to Disney parks with toddlers is WORK, but it's totally worth the effort. You will be more tired after a day with them than you ever were on your most commando days before you had kids. :D They will wear you out, and the mental aspect of having to always be watching them is draining. You can have a great time, but as suggested, follow THEIR lead, and try to stick to their normal eating/napping/sleeping schedule as much as possible. It's not the end of the world, for example, if you never see the fireworks at MK this trip. Our kids are 6 and 8 now and we only saw Illuminations for the first time last December, as that is the first time the oldest wasn't scared out of his mind at the noise, although the younger one and I ran, literally, back to the Beach Club, the little guy holding his hands over his ears and crying the whole time. ;) You never know with kids, what they will like and what they will hate, so have an open mind and be FLEXIBLE!

Have a great trip!

MaterializedHaunt
07-20-2012, 11:40 AM
Just minor suggestions. I would make sure you have a a sun blocker on the double stroller, that is a big must. I know alot of other people with strollers have portable fans on them. Keeping those kids cool is KEY in a Disney trip, or you may have miserable monsters when they get too hot. As a kid my partents ALWAYS had a midday break, we would go back to the room for a couple hours and rest up for the evening. This rest could be just laying around the room or jumping in the pool for 30mins. But I think the break reenergizes them. As a preschool teacher for 5 years, I can honostly saw that toddlers need that little break here and there very much. You are going to have a blast in Disney! I bet your super excited! :D

Dulcee
07-20-2012, 11:48 AM
When we took my sister's kids we made sure to snap a picture of each of them as we walked out the hotel door in the morning. That way we KNEW what they were wearing on the off chance they got lost and could easily supply the description to cast members.

Day 1 we also talked about who the castmembers were, pointed out the badges they wore and who they should ask for help if they lost one of us.

Maybe silly and overprotective but it gave everyone some peace of mind.

MaterializedHaunt
07-20-2012, 12:02 PM
When we took my sister's kids we made sure to snap a picture of each of them as we walked out the hotel door in the morning. That way we KNEW what they were wearing on the off chance they got lost and could easily supply the description to cast members.

Day 1 we also talked about who the castmembers were, pointed out the badges they wore and who they should ask for help if they lost one of us.

Maybe silly and overprotective but it gave everyone some peace of mind.

Thats absolutly not silly! I think that is a terrific idea especially the picture before you leave the room! Ill have to remember that when I have kids! ty!

arielshouse
07-20-2012, 12:34 PM
All these tips are awesome I never thought about some of these! Thanx so much guys! One of my main concerns is some of the time ill be by myself with the kids! So when I get them out of the stroller theyre going to want to run! And I'm afraid of being distracted in folding up the stroller and there they go! Does anyone have any suggestions for being by myself with the bus ride to or from? Thanx again guys!:thumbsup:

mickeys_princess_mom
07-20-2012, 12:36 PM
I've also read about people writing on the child's clothing, or actually even the child, parent name and phone number, etc, just in case. Hopefully that would never come up, but...I would suggest for you to be super aware of the front end of the stroller, too. Some people, or electric vehicles may not stop as fast as needed, and might bump into them. I have a pet worry that I always share, given the opportunity. :blush: Please cover those little legs, feet, hands with sunscreen! So many times I see them sticking out in the sun when these babies are napping, and they burn so easily.
:wave: Have a wonderful trip! Make lots of memories!!

mickeys_princess_mom
07-20-2012, 12:42 PM
All these tips are awesome I never thought about some of these! Thanx so much guys! One of my main concerns is some of the time ill be by myself with the kids! So when I get them out of the stroller theyre going to want to run! And I'm afraid of being distracted in folding up the stroller and there they go! Does anyone have any suggestions for being by myself with the bus ride to or from? Thanx again guys!:thumbsup:

Two--one--you can very likely strike up a conversation with someone on the bus or in line who you could ask very politely to please help you with the stroller. Disney people are mostly good folks! That would leave you free to keep those little hands in yours. I would be thinking ahead, though, and make sure you've chosen a stroller that it easily collapsed and unfolded. Gonna be rough to wrestle with a giant, complicated one.

Also, maybe you could practice on short excursions around town, sort of 'training' them (with rewards?) to stay right at your side and hold onto your pants leg, or whatever. It's an important endeavour, so it would be worth the prepping. :mickey:

BrerGnat
07-20-2012, 01:23 PM

Make sure you can fold up the stroller very quickly and are really familiar with it. To make things easier, do NOT store anything in any of the baskets/pockets. Wear a backpack, and leave the excess hanging down when you adjust the straps. When you have to fold the stroller, tell each kid to hold onto one of the straps of the backpack. Work on this at home so they can practice.

I used to do Disneyland by myself all the time with my 2 boys (who are 20 months apart). It was actually quite easy. One of my boys would tend to wander, so I would give him a snack when I needed him to stay put. Something like a lollipop worked really well, because he would get so focused on eating it that he wouldn't move. :thumbsup:

And, just for the record, I did use one of those backpack leashes for one of my kids. It was very necessary, and he actually loved it. It was a stuffed puppy dog backpack, and he used to pretend that he was giving his puppy a piggy back ride. He never even noticed that there was a "leash" attached to it. ;)

buzznwoodysmom
07-20-2012, 02:21 PM
Wear a backpack, and leave the excess hanging down when you adjust the straps. When you have to fold the stroller, tell each kid to hold onto one of the straps of the backpack. Work on this at home so they can practice.

Oh gosh, that took me back to when my kiddos were young. I used to have them place their hands on the car when opening the doors in parking lots. Or hold on to my purse, or one hand on the shopping cart.

We always took pictures of the kids on the way out in the mornings just incase we needed a discription of what they were wearing, and what they looked like. My boys looked almost like twins when they were little, even tho they were 2 years apart. In Disney I would dress them alike and we always said if one gets lost we can just show the other one to secruity so they know what to look for. Thankfully we never needed to.

Katzateer
07-20-2012, 02:45 PM
Brings back memories!

I took my oldest to WDW by myself 3 or 4 times. When our youngest was born I had to beg my husband to go with us. He had no interest. After one trip with the girls, he was asking when we were going back, and looked forward to our annual trip.

My mother in law was with us when the girls were toddlers so with 3 adults it wasn't bad.

while waiting for parades and fireworks I would put their strollers where they wanted to sit and give them treats and light up toys to occupy them. Sometimes they were so tired they would sleep. When the parade started if they wanted to get out of the stroller I would fold it up. That
Made it a little less stressful when crowds were lining up and I wouldn't have to worry about smashed toes or fingers when others are crowding around.

eandrsmom
07-22-2012, 08:55 AM
I would suggest that everyone in your family wear the same bright color each day.(orange, yellow, aqua, etc.) We've been doing this for years, we have four kids, and it works for us. Not only does it make it easier for you to keep an eye on them, but it makes it easier for them to spot you if they do get separated. Plus, it makes for cute pictures. :thumbsup:

Disney Doll
07-23-2012, 03:33 PM

For buses at Disney I usually have the stroller folded and ready to go in advance. I'll either plant the kids on a bench or have them hang onto the railing in line. It's never been an issue.

disneynarula
07-23-2012, 04:41 PM
I have a DS who is a runner and I used one of those back packs that look like a monkey but it has a tail the parent can hold on to. I would not really consider it a "leash"

I have also attached lanyards to my belt loop and made the kids hold on to them if they were not in the stroller.

Aurora
07-23-2012, 05:02 PM
Have you seen the "Modern Family" episode where the whole family visits Disneyland? After trying the leash on the preschooler, who they referred to as a "runner," they came up with another solution. It was quite funny, but if you haven't seen it, I won't give it away. :mickey:

I was by myself for a day at Disney when my oldest two were 3 and 1. I had a Graco double-wide stroller that was light and easy to fold, and they had to be in it when we were going down Main Street or other lanes. Besides the attractions, they were able to be mobile when we were in lines and stores. It was just easier that way. When my youngest was the same age, we had no problem keeping an eye on just him, so he was able to be a lot more mobile. (Sorry, oldest kids! :secret: )

The everyday naps were essential. We pushed it one day and were very sorry -- our first clue that they needed it was that they stopped listening to our directions.

arielshouse
07-23-2012, 09:45 PM
Ha ha I haven't seen the show but maybe I should because both my kids are runners so if I did "leash" them they'd end up choking themselves just to prove they could get away! :blush: problem is my toddlers are 2 1/2 and 18 mos and they have a I'm in charge attitude! My girl listens ok she's very smart and comprehends most of what u tell her but my son is behind for his age and doesn't understand alot! So telling either 1 to stay wouldn't work! I've tried it around town telling them 2 put their hands on the car to keep them out of harms way and sometimes my girl listens but my boy is always running out in the road! So with that background info of "my kids are in charge and don't listen" any tips geared towards kids that don't listen? :confused:

natstroop
07-24-2012, 01:00 PM
When we went to Disneyland for the first time, our 3 year old was a "runner." It wasn't as much as "running" as it was "wondering" and "talking to everyone in site." We printed off a little card that said something like, "My parents have wondered off. Please call my mom Natalie at XXX-XXX-XXXX." We laminated them and stapled them to their shoe laces or on the back pockets of their jeans.

natstroop
07-24-2012, 01:19 PM
Also, you also have a couple of months to try to "get them to listen." Do several regular dry runs again. Go around town and give them rules and tell them what the consequence will be. Go in a store and have them hold on to the cart. Offer a treat if they listen. If they don't listen, leave immediately. Go to a park and have them hold on to a lanyard on your belt when you first take them out of the stroller. If they don't listen, leave the park immediately. It might sound harsh, but it is for their own safety. You have to be consistant though and stick to your guns. They will learn soon. Kids really do like boundaries. They also like to test them, but they do it to reassure themselves that you will be there when they try to break them. Make sure to tell them that they are going to a special place and listening now will keep them safe later.

Gator
07-24-2012, 02:41 PM
The stroller option keeps them contained. I really like that, even now when the kids are 7 and 5. Especially during busy times at the start and end of the day.

Also, the monkey leash thing is something the kids liked as an option to get out and walk.

iheartdisney
07-27-2012, 02:22 PM
My boys were a little older when I did this but......

I braved WDW by myself with my two boys (ages 4 and 5). On our very first day (at MK because that's our traditional first day park) we headed straight for the "dog tag" store between City Hall and the barber shop and made them dog tags. I put my cell phone number on it and our last name. They were at an age where they were just learning our phone numbers and I was afraid if we got separated they'd forget it in a panic. They each picked out a design they liked and quite honestly, I couldn't get them to take them off. They thought they were so cool! And I had the piece of mind that if we should get separated a CM or helpful parent would be able to contact me immediately.

minnie04
07-27-2012, 03:08 PM

That might be a challenge. I would carry the least amount of items with you when you’re alone (no purse, no bags, etc.) nothing that can get in the way. If you’re staying on property maybe ask an employee to help with folding the stroller or helping you get on the bus in general with the little ones. At the park same thing. I would ask if a cast member or someone close to the buses can assist you. I know there are people out there especially Disney families that would see a need at least offer to help you.
I know my DH & I are always there to help if someone needs it. Just remember to take your time. Who cares if someone has to wait a moment while you load up the kids. If they aren’t willing then let them pass. You need to be focused on the kids at all times. Usually people are more willing to help then not.

:mickey:

minnie04
07-27-2012, 03:11 PM
My boys were a little older when I did this but......

I braved WDW by myself with my two boys (ages 4 and 5). On our very first day (at MK because that's our traditional first day park) we headed straight for the "dog tag" store between City Hall and the barber shop and made them dog tags. I put my cell phone number on it and our last name. They were at an age where they were just learning our phone numbers and I was afraid if we got separated they'd forget it in a panic. They each picked out a design they liked and quite honestly, I couldn't get them to take them off. They thought they were so cool! And I had the piece of mind that if we should get separated a CM or helpful parent would be able to contact me immediately.

Absolutely LOVE this idea!!!! I will have to pass it on to my friends and family with smaller children... :thumbsup:

Mom on a Mission
08-02-2012, 11:14 PM
We printed off a little card that said something like, "My parents have wondered off. Please call my mom Natalie at XXX-XXX-XXXX." We laminated them and stapled them to their shoe laces or on the back pockets of their jeans.

Great idea. We used a page of address labels from Staples. Preprint and then stick on the back of their shirts and jackets every day. They cant see them or pull them off, but you know a CM will see it if they need to. Luckily Disney is really well set up for lost parents. We never had a problem, but have heard so many positive stories.

My other suggestion: naps Naps NAPS! Keep their schedule, relax and enjoy the magic. Know you will come back again when they are older and you don't have to do it all.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
08-05-2012, 07:52 PM
My youngest nephew is also a runner and didn't listen at all, ever! Still barely does and he's 5 now. My sis had the doggy backpack thing and that helped a lot to keep him from getting away. He'd run and even if he couldn't see us, he didn't care; he'd just keep going. So trying to scare him by staying out of sight didn't help. As my sister says "I love my dog enough to protect her with a leash, why not my kids too?" You don't have to use it at home but I would strongly recommend it if you are going to Disney by yourself, with 2 kids.

BigRedDad
08-08-2012, 10:53 AM
I think it depends on what you are concerned with.

1. Take a picture on your cellphone of each kid before going to the park.
2. Be sure they know who they can go to if they need help. First, the Disney uniforms. Second, another mom with kids as a last resort.
3. Be sure to know who is responsible for which toddler.
4. Know where the playgrounds are at each park so they can have play time.
5. Take naps at their normal time. I prefer going back to the resort for this. 15 minutes of swim time, a small snack, and my DD was out like a lamp.
6. Take it at their pace. They can go overload with everything around them.

MommaMouse
08-08-2012, 11:56 AM
Our first DS was a runner and for his second visit at 22 months old I purchased a Mickey Mouse backpack leash via the internet. It was so helpful for the subsequent visits until he decided that he didn't like it anymore. I did receive many compliments on it being Mickey Mouse. One of the ways we got through our visits with a runner was to be sure to expend his energy in the little play areas around the parks and hotels. That way they'd be ready to sit in the stroller. We used the Laughing Place, the play area inside Mission Space, Dino dig at Animal Kingdom and Honey I Shrunk the Audience (although you really have to keep an eye on them there as we lost sight of our son for 5 minutes and I nearly had a panic attack). Bringing treats/snacks for stroller rides is also another way to keep them happy. It's exhausting but worth it. Enjoy!