PDA

View Full Version : Best place to carb up

Lizzie
07-19-2012, 01:20 AM
My sister and friend are running the half marathon in November. Where would you go to carb up? Not concerned about what park right now.

BrerGnat
07-19-2012, 08:08 AM
I would imagine the Italy pavilion would be a good option. Lots of pasta dishes to be had.

Do people still "carb up" before races nowadays? I thought that was outdated advice? Although, I'm not a marathon runner, so what do I know? :D

TheDuckRocks
07-19-2012, 10:12 AM
Carbs are the :thedolls: tool. But, oh how I love them. Wolfgang Puck Express in Downtown Disney serves a huge platter of spaghetti for $12, throw in some meatballs with your spaghetti and it's $16. I have shared this with my sister in the past and we still barely finished it. Oh, yeah and it's good.

anewvision
07-19-2012, 10:30 AM
I will be running the half too, and even at 47 I plan on being at least in the top 20 hopefully top 10. So If don't need to eat pasta the day before your friend will not benefit form that. It is old school thinking, here's another tip the African runners have never eating pasta the night before a big race they a balanced meal with vegetables and lean protein.

Jared
07-19-2012, 10:43 AM
Via Napoli was the first restaurant that came to mind for a pre-race carb-fest. Pizza and pasta -- what could be better?

MaterializedHaunt
07-19-2012, 11:20 AM
Well it certainly looks like the pasta side of this has been covered. So lets veer to other carby foods. If your budgeting your meals then hit DTDand try the Earl of Sandwich with some fruit and then get some dessert at Goofys Candy Co. If you want an aray of foods, Trail's End wouldn't by a bad idea. Rice/Potatoes/Desserts and breaded items all through there as well. And I hear they have a potatoe bar? I'm not 100% sure about that but if they do that would be perfect. Good luck in your race and have lots of fun!

cer
07-19-2012, 12:11 PM
For the WDW marathon in January, they are offering a Pasta in the Park dinner at the Beirgarten (sp?) in Epcot. It is a buffet with great healthy offerings suited for the runners. We are taking advantage of that, I wonder if they offer something like it for other race events?

Good luck!

rachlovestv
07-19-2012, 03:20 PM
Lizzie's sister here! Thanks for all the advice.

I know that carbs are not what everyone uses to fuel up for races, but it's what my body is used to, so I don't want to mess with my system. :)

It sounds like WDW has lots of different food options for carbs, so finding something probably won't be a problem, just deciding which one. I think there is a pasta in the park party for the race, but we already have the DDP, so we didn't want to pay extra for that.

Thanks again!

VWL Mom
07-19-2012, 05:51 PM
Hi Lizzie's sister :wave:

:welcome: to INTERCOT

Since you have DDP, how about the Cape May buffet. They have a couple different pastas there plus lots of other tasty things.

A Big Kid
07-19-2012, 06:41 PM
Best option, bar none. POR "build your own pasta."

Its under $10, you choose your pasta, sauce, and meat and other add-in such as olives,mushrooms, artichokes, peas, etc. And it is prepared fresh right in front of you. It is a huge serving, too. As a vet of about 10 WDW marathons, it's always my favorite carb location.

It is counterintuitive to more common pasta la cations such as via Napoli, Mama Melrose, Tony's, etc. so it's less crowded.

Another option, that I have been known to try is in Japan. The udon noodle soup at the CS location works well too.