PDA

View Full Version : Using walkers on the bus

Lizzie
07-19-2012, 01:16 AM
I am going with my mom in November she is renting a scooter in the park but using a walker to get to the bus stop and wheelchair rental.

The question is will she get loaded first or am I going to have to talk her into waiting for the next bus so she can get a seat?

faline
07-19-2012, 07:49 AM
Have you considered renting a scooter from an off-site location? In that situation, she will be able to keep the scooter with her all the time and won't have to worry about walking to the bus stop. The walks to and from rooms as well as between park bus stops and parks can be quite lengthy. I'm not sure how spryly your mom moves along with her walker but if walking is a dificulty for her, she might find the distances difficult to cover.

To be honest, I've never seen anyone using a walker waiting for a bus. I can't say she would be loaded first but her need for a walker SHOULD entitle her to a seat even if someone needs to leave a seat they had already claimed. And although, I say SHOULD, I have no idea how it would be handled if those seated refused to give up a seat for her.

VWL Mom
07-19-2012, 07:55 AM
Check out this thread in Guests with Special Needs
http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=192151

You may want to consider renting an ECV from Apple Scooter. This way your mom would have it at all times. The ECV rental at the parks $50/day so Apple will save you money along with being convenient.

PETE FROM NYC
07-20-2012, 05:01 PM
I totally agree with renting a scooter from an outside vendor. I have used Apple my last 2 trips and loved the convenience of having it 24/7, plus renting from Apple cost me about the same for 9-10 days as it would have costed me renting in the park for half that time.