PDA

View Full Version : Mosquitos in July

eandrsmom
07-18-2012, 11:03 PM
We'll be headed to WDW in the next few days, so I'm starting to pack. We've never been in the summer, so I was wondering how bad the mosquitos are in the evenings at the parks. Being from South Louisiana, we're used to mosquitos and always have repellant handy. Should I pack some just to be safe?

DizneyRox
07-19-2012, 05:38 AM
Yes, you will need it... They have cut down on pest control, a couple years ago I came back with welts that lasted for weeks. Not sure what it was, but around home, bites only bother me for a few hours, maybe a day.

faline
07-19-2012, 08:06 AM
It wouldn't hurt to bring it. Still, I must say, I typically do not use repellant when in Disney World and don't even pack it myself which is rather amazing to me as I am typically a mosquito magnet!!

AgentC
07-19-2012, 08:56 AM
I would bring some just in case. We were there two weeks ago and did not have a problem, but it has rather wet down here, so it is always a possibility.

mc mouse
07-20-2012, 09:13 PM
Always wanted to ask this.....I've been to DW yearly for the last 17 years and have yet to have any issues with mosquitoes, yellow jackets, or any other type of bugs (other than love bugs in September). What does Disney do to control bugs so well over such a vast area? Just curious.

BrerGnat
07-21-2012, 09:19 AM
I have never used insect repellent at WDW either. Never needed to.

Morpheous
07-21-2012, 07:23 PM
I just got back from WDW last night, and I never pack mosquito repellent and I never come home with mosquito bites. This trip was no different, I had no problems with mosquitoes, so you should be okay!

Though it never hurts to be prepared, so if you want to have it just to safe pack some!

Ive started packing pretty much everything I could think of from bandaids, to extra shoes in case mine get soaked in a afternoon downpour.

Since you've never been in the summer, I would be sure to pack extra shoes, or shoes that don't really get soaked as well as a rain poncho. It can get really wet, really fast with little warning. I wear my track shoes since they are really worn in to my feet but summer showers have soaked them in the past so I bring my sandals as backup now.

eandrsmom
07-22-2012, 10:28 AM
I had my husband buy all six of us inexpensive water shoes yesterday. I guess we'll keep them in the backpack with the ponchos. I don't think I'd want to wear them all day because of the lack of support, but I can see us changing into them if it starts to rain. Thanks for the tip!

CanadaLovesDisney
07-22-2012, 02:28 PM
We can't do the water parks without water shoes. Just yucky having bare feet in the change rooms and washrooms.

But same here we never get mosquito bites however last trip I got my first bee sting...on my foot no less. Became so swollen I could barely fit it in my sandal. So be careful of bees at the resorts not as noticeable in the parks we have found!