PDA

View Full Version : Door Decorating

wendybird
07-18-2012, 08:29 PM
On our last Disney Cruise, some families had special things decorting their doors.
1. Is this allowed?
2. What do you use to hnag these things?
3. What types of things have you seen?
We would love to come prepared to join in :mickey:

Ed
07-18-2012, 09:30 PM
It is permitted, with some restrictions - -

Door decorations cannot be TAPED to the doors. Some strong tapes actually peel the paint off the doors when removed. They can be attached by using magnetic decorations, as the stateroom doors are made of steel. Magnetic printing paper can be found at places like Staples, OfficeMax, etc. You can print out favorite clip art and text on it. The paper can be trimmed with regular scissors, if desired.

Door decorations cannot be used on Concierge suite doors on the two new ships, as those are made of wood.

We have seen some doors that were totally covered with all sorts of Disney-related artwork, as well as simple name signs. Some folks even attach magnetic "white boards" where messages (e.g., "Al and Barb - we're at the pool") can be left using a dry erase marker.

wildernesslady
07-18-2012, 09:40 PM
We were just on the Dream last week, and my daughters friend who is a crew member had our door decorated. It was so nice and also it helped us always locate our door. We were exactly mid ship and it was easy to pass by. You definitely need to use magnets.

DisnIse
07-26-2012, 09:31 AM
The cutests decorations that we saw actually hung from the little clip above the cabin number plate.
It was a long tapestry-type hanging that was about 4 feet long. There were four fabric pockets in different Disney material hanging from the dowel rod. Every morning, the Disney Cruise Fairies (who must have an agreement with Santa, the Easter Bunny, and the Tooth Fairy), left small gifts for the kids who were staying in the cabin. One day it was an autograph book, one day it was a Castaway Cay water bottle - little things like that. It was a BRILLIANT idea, and it became our landmark on how close we were to our cabin.

Made our little name tag magnet that I ordered on ebay look totally lame! :blush:

sara114
07-26-2012, 11:37 AM
I have noticed these as well and wonder where they could be obtained. Any ideas? I am going on a family (non-disney ) :fit: cruise in February, 2013. This will be a Christmas present for the children involved and we are looking to find "presents" to give them that are cruise themed. We will have 3 rooms.

BrerGnat
07-26-2012, 01:02 PM
I have noticed these as well and wonder where they could be obtained. Any ideas? I am going on a family (non-disney ) :fit: cruise in February, 2013. This will be a Christmas present for the children involved and we are looking to find "presents" to give them that are cruise themed. We will have 3 rooms.

As far as I know, most people make them. It's a big (cult like) thing, apparently.

I think it's overkill, personally, and I'm sure there are more than a couple rebellious youth on each cruise who have a grand time going around and stealing the gifts out of these things.

A Disney Cruise is special enough. No need to "plus" it to this extent, as far as I am concerned.

Christine
08-21-2012, 07:23 PM
Magnet dry erase boards are a super idea, I think, for communicating when your party splits up, as the wave phones we have had in the past were quite contrary!

I have seen folks do the presents and such. And also the scrapbook decorated signs. I personally am too lazy / busy to be bothered with that :blush: I wish I was all cute like that, but no- my goal is to make sure everyone has underwear and a toothbrush packed- not signage :D

DisneyFr33k
09-07-2012, 12:10 PM
On our last Disney cruise, we had magnetic decorations, but it was actually our neighbor who had the best item that helped us locate our room. They took a party decoration that was a pineapple - you know the ones that come flat and you open them up to make the shape of a pineapple - and hung it from the mail holder next to their door. :papple: We could see it from all the way down the hall and made it easier for us to know when to pay attention to the room numbers. Some of those halls go on forever!

figgie
09-07-2012, 01:29 PM
The things with pockets that are hanging from the "fish" clips beside the door are called "Fish Extenders". I know other Disney boards use these for groups of people who are traveling on the same cruise dates to pass out little daily gifts to each other. People either make their own or order them from sites that make them.

We have found many art works on the web that are Disney cruise related and make them our own. We print them on magnetic paper and have them ready for all sorts of things like special occasions, shore excursion days or just fun things to mark our Home Door during the cruise. I think some people get out of hand with the decorating but that's just my taste and I think everyone is just having fun with it.

Absolutely....no tape....magnets only but be aware, we have had things stollen from our door, so we usually personalize everything now. Things with our names on it don't seem to disappear like cute generic items!:mad:

JMTStone
09-14-2012, 03:42 PM
We decorate every time. Some with the same magnets (Pirates, our Cats, Lion King, etc.) and some we make special for the occasion. One year we renewed our Vows so we had Mickey and Minnie Married picture on a magnet.

We also use dry-erase board INSIDE and OUTSIDE. The inside one is to tell our 20 year old daughter where to find us (but now with WAVE phones, that may be going away) and the OUTSIDE are notes to and from our friends.

We do the Fish Extender too. We bought it online. Its beautiful and we always catch people admiring our art.

Christine
09-17-2012, 11:10 PM
We also use dry-erase board INSIDE and OUTSIDE. The inside one is to tell our 20 year old daughter where to find us (but now with WAVE phones, that may be going away)

We have had very little luck with the wave phones. I'm keeping the boards! :thumbsup: