PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report: MINI Takes the States, Part 4

Tick-Tock
07-17-2012, 10:00 PM
July 7 was a short drive, Nashville to Louisville. Nashville was the site of another autocross, which we visited briefly before setting off. (We also checked out the Nashville store of Antique Archeology, which is featured on the show American Pickers. It was easily identifiable by the half-block long line of people outside waiting to get in. We skipped stopping. During the drive from Colo. to New Jersey, we had seen the Iowa store (the one you see on the show), but it was too early for it to be open when we passed.)

All of the cities up to this point were hot and humid, given the fact that it was July, but also courtesy of an especially unusual heat wave. But Louisville took the prize. Our MINI's thermometer reported 108 degrees as we pulled into Louisville! Our hotel here was one of the nicest yet. Called 21c, it's a combination hotel and 24-hour contemporary art gallery. They have a fleet of plastic red penguins that move about the hotel all day and night. We returned from dinner to find a red penguin just outside our room, looking like he was considering entering...

July 8, Louisville to Chicago. MINI had another autocross in Joliet, IL, which many local MINI clubs attended. Our Chicago hotel, the Dana, edged out 21c by upgrading us to a suite! You know you have a good room when you notice that the card key has a picture of your room on it! Separate sitting area and bar, a tub the size of a canoe, a shower with two overhead sprinklers and side sprinklers, and a balcony. I almost didn't leave!

Sadly, though, I had to go home to meet some family who were passing through Denver. So I tore myself away from the suite and flew home from Midway. DH continued the drive from Chicago to Des Moines on July 9, Des Moines to Lincoln, NE on July 10, and Lincoln to Boulder, CO on July 11.

Tink#64
07-18-2012, 01:56 AM
Tick Tock, I'm really enjoying reading your trip reports! Then when I got to the part about Louisville, KY (my stompin grounds!) taking the cake on the heat & humidity, I had to chuckle! It's amazing how often we are the Hottest/Most Humid is the Continental US! :fan: Here in the Ohio Valley, we seem to get some rather extreme weather of all kinds! Glad you enjoyed 21C, a super novel place to stay for sure! Sorry you didn't get to experience more of Louisville has to offer. But this sounds like a fantastic trip! So cool to have the oppotunity to experience so many places! Thanks for sharing!

Tick-Tock
07-18-2012, 09:26 AM
Glad you're enjoying the report!

Actually, given the short drive day, we did get the chance to do a few other things in Louisville, though sadly not much.

The local MINI dealer had arranged for the chance to go to a Louisville Sluggers game, but because of the heat we opted out and instead went on a drive arranged by the "MINI Maven" of Louisville. It took us toward some of the horse farms and such. And we made sure to drive by Churchill Downs. For dinner we went to Harvest Restaurant, which had great food and service. And the morning event before we headed to Chicago was at a park along the river; we got to eat breakfast admiring Indiana.

Of all the places along the way, Louisville is one of the two (along with Phoenix) that my DH says he wants to go back to again soon.

Tink#64
07-19-2012, 12:28 AM
Awesome! But yes, it's been unbelievably hot & humid here for weeks running now! We're breaking records day after day, so very understandable! These days I want to be either in the A/C :fan: or in the pool! : :swim:

Come back & visit us in the Spring or the Fall, both very pretty times to visit the Ohio Valley! You could enjoy Fall racing at Churchill Downs, a favorite of ours! Or so many other fine & fun experiences that Louisville has to offer, but right now, in the heat & humidity, ugg - Not so much! :blush: