PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report: MINI Takes the States, Part 3

Tick-Tock
07-17-2012, 09:49 PM
July 4 saw us arriving at MINI's headquarters early. MINI had brought in two Chinese stunt drivers who put on an exciting show. One of these guys had been on the Today Show the day before, demonstrating how he could parallel-park a MINI in a space just 6 inches longer than the car itself!

After the speeches, etc., a long line of MINIs made their way on to the NJ Turnpike and down to Philadelphia, where the Philly-area MINI dealers sponsored a lunch and an autocross course. We got to try driving various MINI models through a cone-filled obstacle course. Then on to Washington, D.C., where the local MINI dealers sponsored an evening at the Newseum to see the national fireworks show.

July 5 was D.C. to Charlotte, NC. On the way, there was a stop at the Virginia War Memorial in Richmond, VA. DH and I enjoyed a short tour by two WWII and Korean War veterans who had personal stories about some of the soldiers who gave their lives and were listed on the walls of the memorial. On the way to Charlotte, DH and I also took a detour to visit my alma mater, Wake Forest. The evening event in Charlotte was at the NC Music Factory, but DH and I didn't stay long. A college friend of mine invited us to his house for dinner (and it was one of the nicest meals of the whole trip!).

Friday, July 6, started very early with a visit to the Charlotte Motor Speedway. All the MINIs were lined up in the center of the track, and before we left, we got to drive a lap around the track. I was surprised at just how tilted the corners of the track are! Then off to Nashville, including a drive on the famed U.S. 129 ("The Tail of the Dragon") -- 300-something curves in an 11-mile stretch of road. Lunch stop at MINI of Knoxville, and an evening event at the Wild Horse Saloon courtesy of MINI of Nashville. MINI of Nashville even had people at the official host hotel giving out goodie bags! And the whole street in front of the Wild Horse Saloon was dedicated to MINI parking for the evening.

PirateLover
07-29-2012, 01:38 AM
I was also in DC taking in the fireworks on the 4th! You got to do some pretty neat stuff.