PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report: MINI Takes the States, Part 2

Tick-Tock
07-17-2012, 09:38 PM
We decided to take 4 days to drive to the East Coast so we could see a few things along the way.

First day was Colorado and Nebraska. We had chosen to spend the night in Omaha, where we caught a bit of the Olympic swimming trials. Saw Michael Phelps, Missy Franklin, Ryan Lochte and other top-notch swimmers in person. We hadn't even known about the trials until a couple of days before we left, and we were lucky to get seats way up in the rafters, but we were there!

Then on Day 2 we spent a half-day at Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo before continuing through Iowa. One of the best zoos around and well worth a visit!

Day 3 was Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio. We ended the day by visiting Cuyahoga Valley National Park, which we also enjoyed.

Day 4 started again at the park, seeing some of the sights we had missed the previous evening. Then out of Ohio, into Pennsylvania and finally into NJ. Arrived in good time at the hotel -- and we knew we were in the right place when we saw MINIs everywhere!

PirateLover
07-29-2012, 01:36 AM
This sounds exciting. I have always wanted to do a cross country trip. We may drive from NJ to California sometime next year because we have a friend looking to move out there and he asked for company. My only fear is that the move will be the first priority and we really won't have any time for side trips, which is what I'd like to do.

Tick-Tock
07-29-2012, 09:36 AM
It was really interesting to see so many parts of the country in such a short time. But you're right, when you're driving for another reason, you can't do as much stuff as you'd want to. We took eight days to bring our first MINI home from New York to Colorado in 2002, and we still didn't get to visit several sites we would have liked to have stopped at.