PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report: MINI Takes the States 2012, Part 1

Tick-Tock
07-17-2012, 09:30 PM
Every two years, MINI USA (the maker of the MINI Cooper line of cars), sponsors a nationwide event for MINI owners called MINI Takes the States ("MTTS"). This year, MTTS was a cross-country road rally from MINI's headquarters in New Jersey (just outside New York City) to Los Angeles, starting July 4 and ending July 15.

A bit of background: the first MTTS in 2006 was a cross-country road rally from California to New York. At that time, prior commitments meant that we could only drive for one leg, Albuquerque to Amarillo. DH and I enjoyed it and said that we would do the whole route next time. But MINI planned different events for 2008 and 2010, so this was the first cross-country trip since 2006. DH decided to drive the whole route. I had family visiting at home, so I missed part of the trip.

The plan: take 4 days to drive from Denver to New Jersey, arriving late on July 3 to be ready to start MTTS on July 4. Then do MTTS July 4-July 15. I would fly home from one of the intermediate stops, entertain the family, then fly to a later leg to finish up the trip. After the wrap party, head to Disneyland in Anaheim for the rest of Sunday, July 15, and part of Monday, July 16, before I would fly home (DH had to drive to another commitment before heading home).