PDA

View Full Version : Saratoga Springs an option?

PiratePaul
07-17-2012, 11:45 AM
Returning to WDW next month, with DW and the 3 amigos, aged 6, 11, and 12. We are considering staying at CR, or BC. We have stayed both before and enjoyed both. Also, we always stay club level, and would be doing so again.

Problem is, DS, 11 has a really tough time sleeping. All five of us in a room for a wk, is do-able, but not that pleasant at sleep time. DW found that Saratoga Springs is offering 2 bdrm villas at the same price as the other resorts under this end of summer promo. The DD's would havve their own room, DW and I our own room, and DS, his own space on the sleeper sofa. Of course, we know it is FAR away from the "Magic", and would require extensive transportation to all parks. We would most likey rent a car with this option.

My question is, how are these villas, and would you forgo being right in the heart of the "action" for more space? Which option do you recommend for a family of five for a week in WDW? I haven't heard great things about SSR...I am so torn!!! :confused:

BrerGnat
07-17-2012, 11:57 AM
I think with a car, it's a good option. I haven't personally stayed there, but I know what you mean about having a child that has a tough time sleeping. That's our 8 year old. He has a VERY rough time sleeping through the night in hotels and especially sharing a bed with his brother! We have stayed at the BC the past two times, and he is getting better with age, but who knows. I've often considered the Villas, but we are also used to Concierge Level and I know it would be hard to give that up as well. It's a toss up for sure. On the other hand, Saratoga Springs has some great pools, playgrounds on site (which the other two resorts you mentioned do not have) and with a car would be a good option. I am of the feeling that if you think something would work well for your family, try it once. I would not stay there without a car, though, as I've heard horrible things about the bus transport there.

Ms. Mode
07-17-2012, 12:41 PM
Never stayed at SSR, however I don't think it could be much further away than AKL and we did stay there. Really, with the Disney transportation you are only a few minutes from the action all the time. I'd go for it and get the extra space. Plus, you'll be staying somewhere you haven't stayed before. FUN!

ThanxForNoticin
07-17-2012, 12:56 PM
In your situation, I would highly recommend the SS option. You will enjoy your trip much more that way. As for being away from everything? Can you walk to a park? No. But it's not a bad location. You also have some huge advantages staying in a DVC 2-BR. You can store some drinks and snacks in the fridge, you'll have access to in-room laundry (we pack less clothes when we stay in a room like this), and you have multiple bathrooms.

We usually have a car with us, but we also use Disney transportation at times. The buses to and from SS are certainly not a 'horrible' experience. To me, a more horrible experience would be going a week at Disney without sleep!!

Good luck with your decision. Hope you have a great trip.

Tri Minnie
07-17-2012, 01:00 PM
We are a family of five and just returned from a stay at Saratoga Springs. We enjoyed the resort and didn't mind being a little further from the action. Having said this, we also like Kidani Village. We did not have a car and found the bus transportation to be fine. However, our children are all under 5, so we didn't stay at the parks until closing. I think the extra space of a 2 bedroom would be great. On this past trip, we were staying in a studio.

My family also enjoyed the main pool and counter service. We would be happy to stay there again. Of course, we have never stayed club level or on the monorail line.

Good luck making your decision!

disneymom15
07-17-2012, 02:14 PM
We just stayed there in May. The resort itself is very nice and Artists Palette counter service was very good. Our only issue was with transportation. The bus ride itself was not the problem, waiting for the bus to arrive was. We had atleast 3 long waits during our 4 day stay. The worst one was our first morning, we waited 47 minutes (other people were waiting before we arrived). There was a CM at the bus stop, and he basically ignored everyones questions about when will the bus get here.

Georgesgirl1
07-17-2012, 03:06 PM
SSR is our home resort and we really like it. We always drive down, so we rarely use Disney transportation anyway, but the few times we have it hasn't seemed too bad.
Having extra rooms is great. DH and I like to stay up later than our kids and watch TV, drink a glass of wine, and just have some adult time. The one and two bedroom options allow that. Being in one bedroom (especially without a patio) is tough for us now that we are spoiled by the DVC rooms!