PDA

View Full Version : Canada-New England Cruise

GrumpySue
07-16-2012, 08:46 AM
I am going to be sailing on the Magic to Canada later this summer and have a couple of questions for anyone who has done this cruise.

1. Do you need to pack any warm clothes - is it cold up there?

2. I want to arrange for a car service to pick us up at the pier on the last day - but don't know what time to schedule it. We are on the late seating for dinner and I know we will probably be on the second breakfast seating ??? Anyone know what time that is approximately.

Any other tips would be appreciated - I have cruised the Wonder and the Dream before but have never been to Canada so I have no idea what to expect.

sara114
07-17-2012, 03:34 PM
OK, I went on the cruise June 10th ! Yes pack warm clothes !
-Most of the time on deck, the wind created such a cold breeze that everyone was wrapped in blankets. The most that was in the pool at one time was about 10 people.
-Walking around both ports was nice and jeans,and t shirt were ok.
-Nice to have a day at sea before landing in first port.
- You are off the ship around 9am at the latest, but you can carry your own luggage off and leave by 7am.
- I got a cab to arrive, but took the bus arranged by DCL when I left. Be careful as the busses only left about every hour.
-If you would like more information please email me directly.
-When are you going? Would like to have some help with getting item from there if possible? Could you email me?

queen bee
07-17-2012, 07:13 PM
Greetings from Canada's east coast!!!

You don't say when you are going or where you are going but it's summer up here as well, so expect summer temperatures without the humidity. As the previous poster said, it can be a little chilly when on deck, but it can be warm as well so bring a sweater and a raincoat just in case.
I don't know where you are heading but I suspect you will visit Saint John, New Brunswick and maybe Halifax, Nova Scotia. If you want any additional information, please let me know.
Bon Voyage:D

shellyc
07-17-2012, 09:22 PM
We are sailing 9/2 out of NYC to Saint John and Halifax. I just purchased wind jackets for both of us. I'll pack light but layers. Can't wait to get back on the Magic..

GrumpySue
07-18-2012, 08:43 AM
We are going the end of August and are really excited to visit Canada. The two stops are Halifax and St. John. Also we live in New York so getting on the boat right here is so awesome !! Thanks for all your replies, I really appreciate them :mickey:

queen bee
07-18-2012, 05:08 PM
Hi again;
I was born about 60 miles from the city of Saint John. Here is some info you might find useful.
The weather then should be fine. Expect temps around 70 F plus or minus 5 degs. Saint John is located on the Bay of Fundy, at the mouth of the St. John river. The Bay is noted for having the highest tides in the world, up to about 42 feet. At high tide, the river flows backwards, thus creating the "Reversing Falls" which are really fierce rapids, worth a look if you see them at the right time.
Saint John has a population of about 70,000 and is known for being a friendly city so don't hesitate in asking questions/directions from the natives. There are lots of small restaurents in the vicinity that are very good. If you are adventure orientated, you can take a cab to the Fallsview restaurent, which has a great view of the mouth of the river. Saint John is a historic city (the first incorporated city in Canada) and has a strong Irish heritage. You might want to check out the City Market, the oldest such market in North America.
Halifax is the lagest port on the east coast with a population of about 300,000. It is the capital city of the province of Nova Scotia and has many historical sites. They recently observed the 100 year anniversary of the sinking of the Titanic and there are over 100 casualities of that disaster buried in Halifax. The climate should be benign for your visit.
We will be at Disney the third week of August, probably sweating in a heat and humidity we're not used to.
Hope you have a great trip and trust this info is of some value to you.
Please let us know how you enjoy your trip.:marg:

GrumpySue
07-19-2012, 10:45 AM
Wow thanks for all the info !! Since St. John has an Irish hertitage, can you suggest a good Irish restaurant perthaps ?? My husband and I love Irish food and usually go to Raglan Road at least twice sometimes more every trip.

We are doing a tour in St. John to the Bay of Fundy and in Halifax a tour of the Titanic gravesite and museum so got that all covered. I hope we have enough time to just walk around and enjoy the two places, they sound really awesome.

Enjoy your trip to WDW - however you are BRAVE going in August, it is so hot. We always go in October - still hot but not sweltering. :beer:

Mgcamp
07-20-2012, 08:35 PM
I recommend O'Learys Pub on Princess Street. It is in a nice area with lots of interesting shops. If you do a Google search for "Olearys Pub Saint John" you will find their web site. They have been around for at least 25 years and the place has good food, music and beverages.

Have a pint for me!

Here is the address:

46 Princess Street
Saint John‎ NB‎ E2L 2H8
Canada

On a separate note, does anyone else think it is strange that Disney calls it a New England cruise when they don't go to New England?

Mgcamp
07-20-2012, 08:38 PM
One other thing I should mention is it is "Saint John" not "St. John". The locals are very sensitive about that (I know I use to be one).

Have a great trip.

GrumpySue
07-22-2012, 10:57 AM
I will be sure to stop by O'Leary's - thanks for the tip. I see the itinerary calls for everyone back on board the ship at 4:30 at each port. That does not leave a lot of time for exploring after our tours ! I remember once when we were on the Wonder in Nassau the captain decided to let everyone stay off the ship until around 10:00 PM if they wanted, what are the chances of that happening up in Canada, I would love to have more time in each city.

sara114
07-22-2012, 09:34 PM
No chance the ship leaves shortly after time posted.