PDA

View Full Version : Do we still seat ourselves at counter service venues?

Guya103
07-15-2012, 05:59 PM
So I recall something about a new policy with WDW counter service restaurants and being seated by a cast member. Is this the way it works now or do you still find a table and seat yourselves? We are going for the first two weeks of August but have not been since 2010. :mickey:

VWL Mom
07-15-2012, 06:05 PM
We seated ourselves the last week of June at both Cosmic Rays & Columbia Harbour House. Maybe they are only doing it during peak periods?

sportsguy2315
07-15-2012, 06:53 PM
Worked at a counter service last year, including peak periods such as Thanksgiving and Christmas and seated no one.

faline
07-15-2012, 06:59 PM
Not sure if they're still doing it but they weren't seating people. However, they were not allowing folks to sit until after they had received their food.

Guya103
07-15-2012, 07:24 PM
Great, thanks for the info!

cajunmickey
07-15-2012, 10:38 PM
Just went in May. The only counter service place they seated us was cosmic rays. Personally I rather liked it. You went in line they asked how may and showed you to a table. All the other counter service we ate at we found our own table.

Pop Centurion
07-15-2012, 10:59 PM
Not sure if they're still doing it but they weren't seating people. However, they were not allowing folks to sit until after they had received their food.

We experienced this last year over Labor Day weekend at Cosmic Ray's. Once you entered the door they had a CM direct you to the pods not allowing anyone to go straight for a table to reserve it.

tazlikesrobots
07-16-2012, 12:35 PM
Just returned and we seated ourselves for all CS meals....

Disney Doll
07-16-2012, 01:28 PM
So they would rather me take my double stroller through the line where frankly I'm pretty sure it wouldn't even fit instead of directing my brood out of the chaos and to a table? Sounds super convenient for me and everyone lucky enough to be next to me in line:unsure:.

joonyer
07-16-2012, 02:44 PM
So they would rather me take my double stroller through the line where frankly I'm pretty sure it wouldn't even fit instead of directing my brood out of the chaos and to a table? Sounds super convenient for me and everyone lucky enough to be next to me in line:unsure:.

Yes it's a pain in the neck. But we can thank all of the people who crowd into the most popular CS places at peak times, and "hold" or "reserve" tables, even though they have no food yet, so that people who already have their food have no place to sit down and eat. There's no easy answer to the dilemma.

#1donaldfan
07-17-2012, 12:15 PM
Just returned and seated ourselves at each CS .... I want to go back !! :(

Disney Doll
07-17-2012, 01:10 PM
I wouldn't necessarily call it holding a table. By the time I get a table, round up booster seats, and sanitize all the sticky hands it's about time to eat. Not to mention that we sometimes travel with my mother who is disabled. I mean really, it's not just an inconvenience, it's sometimes not possible to take everyone through the line. Sounds like this seating business may only happen during peak season which we avoid like the plague anyhow so I won't worry for now.

DNS
07-19-2012, 05:03 PM
This does seem like a no win. It makes the most sense for everyone if a CM would be there to either direct your group to the counter, or in the case of strollers, wheelchairs, direct people to tables. We almost always just have one go get the food while the others pick a table, but I have noticed many times that when the counter is crowded, a table will be occupied for 30 to 40 minutes with no food - plenty of time for at lease one group with food to eat. Our table included. I have to admit, I have not given this a lot of thought until now. Although unless a CM is there to direct people, grabbing a table in advance of the food is about the only way to get a seat.

disneynarula
07-20-2012, 09:24 AM
but I have noticed many times that when the counter is crowded, a table will be occupied for 30 to 40 minutes with no food - plenty of time for at lease one group with food to eat. Our table included. I have to admit, I have not given this a lot of thought until now. .

This happened to us quite a few times during a free dining promotion a few years ago. The parks were empty and the attraction lines were short but it was very rainy and CS tables were hard to find. We were standing around for quite while with trays in hand while people were just sitting there "saving" a table. We could have eaten in the time they were just sitting there.

This rule makes perfect sense if a place is busy and tables are hard to come by. I hope they continue to do it.

Even if you have a stroller and little kids (which we do) it is really more fair to let people who actually have their food sit down and eat.

lawgirl
07-20-2012, 05:28 PM
This rule makes perfect sense if a place is busy and tables are hard to come by. I hope they continue to do it.

Even if you have a stroller and little kids (which we do) it is really more fair to let people who actually have their food sit down and eat.

I have to agree with you for the most part...and we have kids and strollers too. There is nothing more frustrating than going through a line (again, with kids and stollers, and trays of food) looking around and not finding a table, but noticing that at alot of the tables there are not people eating, no food to be seen, while you are standing there eating your food off the tray!

However, I've been there with 5 YO twin boys and standing in line just wasn't in the cards for us! We had to have a table ASAP.

So I definitely see it both ways.
I just wish there was a better system for regulating it, and to accomodate people who have disabilities and people with strollers / kids. Maybe they should have a "family" side and an "adult/ single traveler" side, like they do at the airport! Haha.

disneynarula
07-21-2012, 04:03 AM
No matter what the circumstances, people who actually have their food should get a table before people who do not. It's common courtesy. Something the world is lacking.

Not to start an argument here but I have worked at Disney and there are a lot of "guests" out there who all think their circumstances are "special".

Nobody wants to get in a long food line with a stroller or kids ready to meltdown. Believe me, I have had that experience. Disney World is full of familes like that. For every family holding an empty table there is another one standing around with trays full of food looking for a place to sit. Why should their food get cold just to make your life easier?

Like I said this is not always a problem but if a Cast Member asks you to get your food before you claim a table there is a reason for it. Might as well just go with the flow.