PDA

View Full Version : Cracks in limbs at SFRT?

DizneyRox
07-13-2012, 10:40 PM
Friend just sent me pics of a couple of huge cracks on major limbs at Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse at WDW.

In light of limb(s) falling from the Tree of Life, you would think this might be addressed. Anyone have any idea how long these cracks have been there? I did a google search but didn't find anything mentioned. Maybe ride inspection budgets have been cut so much Disney doesn't even know about it, with their wait and see attitude, that wouldn't surprise me...

joonyer
07-14-2012, 09:56 AM
The Treehouse was one of the original MK attractions, opening in 1971, so it is over 40 years old now. It is built of steel, concrete and stucco, so it may be that the cracks you've seen are just in the stucco (outside skin) and are not structural. My guess is that if the cracks are noticeable but the Treehouse is still open to guests, is that they are not structural issues. Still that doesn't say anything good about the lack of attention to basic maintenance. Just a little more indication of the neglect of the show, a la non-operable animatronics in Splash Mountain being allowed to linger for years.

seanyred
07-16-2012, 10:35 PM
In November 2011 the tree house was being refurbished. So are these cracks there on purpose to give the tree a more realistic look?

DizneyRox
07-17-2012, 10:40 AM
They don't look like they were intentional from the pictures. They appear to be about 1/2 wide and go around the wole limp is a jagged (arbitrary) pattern. They don't look like they are for stress relief or otherwise visible character.

I changed my homepage link to the image, if someone want sto see it.

That's just one of the cracks, there are a couple..

Butters
07-17-2012, 04:51 PM
From your picture I don't think it looks like a crack, but more like a pattern in the bark

seanyred
07-17-2012, 07:02 PM
From your picture I don't think it looks like a crack, but more like a pattern in the bark

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe it looks worse in person?

darthmacho
07-25-2012, 10:28 AM
Wait? Limbs fell from the Tree of Life? Did they fix them?

DizneyRox
07-25-2012, 10:53 AM
Wait? Limbs fell from the Tree of Life? Did they fix them?
Well, I do know they erected a hideous canopy system over the trails under the Tree Of Life to catch any future falling limbs. From the pictures I've seen it's a travesty... Shame on them!

Polynesian Dweller
07-25-2012, 12:12 PM
Well, I do know they erected a hideous canopy system over the trails under the Tree Of Life to catch any future falling limbs. From the pictures I've seen it's a travesty... Shame on them!

Huh? Shame on them for protecting people?!? Safety is first, even at Disney.

DizneyRox
07-25-2012, 03:06 PM
Solve the problems, not the symptoms..

MaterializedHaunt
07-25-2012, 04:11 PM
This is pathetic and NOT Disney at all! Now how do you look UP at the tree with a canopy??? Ridiculous!

Solve the problems, not the symptoms..
EXACTLY!

kakn7294
07-25-2012, 06:08 PM
The "canopy" at the Tree of Life is a system of nets like a fishing net overhead. You can see through them but they do obstruct a previously clear view up into the tree.

DizneyRox
07-25-2012, 06:29 PM
The "canopy" at the Tree of Life is a system of nets like a fishing net overhead. You can see through them but they do obstruct a previously clear view up into the tree.
Actually it's comprised of a series of support posts and beams as well as the netting. The canopy starts from about the stroller drop off and extends the entire queue for Tough To Be A Bug. It's very unsightly, I don't think any thought went into theming it...

darthmacho
07-26-2012, 08:04 AM
Okay, let's go over this one more time...limbs falling off of the Tree of Life have become such a problem that they had to put up a safety net? How big are the falling parts anyway? :confused:

DizneyFreak2002
07-26-2012, 11:19 AM
Okay, let's go over this one more time...limbs falling off of the Tree of Life have become such a problem that they had to put up a safety net? How big are the falling parts anyway? :confused:

No one ever reported how big the branch was... and as far as anyone knows, only one branch fell off... but it fell into the queue where guests would have been waiting for It's Tough To Be A Bug...

So, instead of inspecting the tree and fixing the potentially dangerous falling limbs... They take the simple way out and put up a net that now hinders your view of the Tree... Or, and they closed off other parts of the queue...

Their solution: the cheapest way possible (typical MO from TDO)...

kakn7294
07-27-2012, 12:06 PM
Actually it's comprised of a series of support posts and beams as well as the netting. The canopy starts from about the stroller drop off and extends the entire queue for Tough To Be A Bug. It's very unsightly, I don't think any thought went into theming it...

Since I experienced it in person last week, I can tell you that while it's not the greatest solution, it's not as obstructive and ugly as you would have everyone believe. Yes, it is supported by a series of posts and beams but it's probably about as unobtrusive as possible for something that was surely hastily constructed.

The reports all stated it was a "small" limb - one single limb. But it has to be dealt with as a safety issue.

DizneyRox
07-27-2012, 12:26 PM
Changed my homepage link to a shot of the queue I grabbed off the net. That way people can see for themselves...

darthmacho
07-27-2012, 12:54 PM
No one ever reported how big the branch was... and as far as anyone knows, only one branch fell off... but it fell into the queue where guests would have been waiting for It's Tough To Be A Bug...

So, instead of inspecting the tree and fixing the potentially dangerous falling limbs... They take the simple way out and put up a net that now hinders your view of the Tree... Or, and they closed off other parts of the queue...

Their solution: the cheapest way possible (typical MO from TDO)...

I want to laugh, but it's really not funny. The view is only the least of my concerns. How do we know the "canopy" will even hold when the next branch comes tumbling down? :confused:

kakn7294
07-27-2012, 03:07 PM
It looks pretty strong and secure so I'm sure it would keep people safe from small branches but a large branch, I'm just not so sure.

DizneyFreak2002
07-27-2012, 03:51 PM
I want to laugh, but it's really not funny. The view is only the least of my concerns. How do we know the "canopy" will even hold when the next branch comes tumbling down? :confused:

We don't... Chalk one more up for poor Disney maintenance...