PDA

View Full Version : Dining Plan Price Increases 2013

SBETigg
07-13-2012, 12:10 PM
I was just reading about the dining plan price increases for next year- forgive me if there is already a thread on it. Holy cow, it has gone up! I expect some price increases from year to year, but...

Quick-Service Dining Plan
$37.58 per night ages 10 and up
$14.32 per night age 3 to 9
2012 was $34.99 and $11.99.

Standard Dining Plan:
$55.59 per night ages 10 and up
$17.16 per night age 3 to 9
2012 was $51.54 and $15.02.

Deluxe Dining Plan:
$99.97 per night ages 10 and up
$26.84 per night ages 3 to 9
2012 was $85.52 and $23.79.

The Deluxe plan increase is especially jarring. And these are prices for Regular and Value Season- Peak is more expensive. I'm kind of gobsmacked considering the Dining Plan seems to offer less every year. I can't see how this will remain a good choice for consumers, unless dining prices are going up that much across the board (also a possibility).

This post is brought to you by someone who rarely checks prices and considers vacation a time to make memories and not pause on pricetags. So... either, if I'm surprised, others will be outraged. Or, I'm just catching up to what others have already found to be over the top.

Mickey'sGirl
07-13-2012, 12:12 PM
Isn't it shocking? Yet, people keep buying it!

SBETigg
07-13-2012, 12:34 PM
Isn't it shocking? Yet, people keep buying it!

Yes. I remember paying around $40 (or less) when it started and I guess I just didn't realize it had gone up that much. Last time I went, we had free dining and the time before, I went without the plan. So now I'm catching up and kind of shocked. When they eliminated the tip and appetizer from the regular plan, I thought it was less of a deal but it still didn't surprise me. This time, they got me.

dnickels
07-13-2012, 12:37 PM
I wonder if they have so many people who just plain always add the dining plan that they figure those guests will continue to do so without noticing the % price increase. There's hardly a 'Dining Plan' discussion on Intercot that goes by without at least a few people who say they just prefer to have it paid ahead of time even if the DP costs them more than OOP so I'm sure that view makes up a sizable number of guests. If they're always going to get it anyway, increase away (so the thinking would go).

SBETigg
07-13-2012, 12:46 PM
I wonder if they have so many people who just plain always add the dining plan that they figure those guests will continue to do so without noticing the % price increase. There's hardly a 'Dining Plan' discussion on Intercot that goes by without at least a few people who say they just prefer to have it paid ahead of time even if the DP costs them more than OOP so I'm sure that view makes up a sizable number of guests. If they're always going to get it anyway, increase away (so the thinking would go).

I wondered that, too. Or if maybe it makes Free Dining seem like more of a value, so people keep going for it? Because we all know (even if we love a good free dining plan) that getting a room discount is usually a better deal. But this way, people still think, "wow, a room discount is good, but I've got to eat and that's saving me $55 a day per person," even though the pricing is insane when you break it down.

LandFan
07-13-2012, 12:58 PM
That's freakin' crazy!! Wow! We've actually just been lucky and the last 5 times we've been down we've had to stay at Value resorts due to $$ and we have always lucked into free dining so it was a really nice benefit for us but even back when it was $40/pp per day I don't think I would have paid for it... Now I am SURE I will never pay for it!

Room discounts only for me from now on if we are staying at anything above a value level...

VWL Mom
07-13-2012, 01:12 PM
I wondered that, too. Or if maybe it makes Free Dining seem like more of a value, so people keep going for it? Because we all know (even if we love a good free dining plan) that getting a room discount is usually a better deal. But this way, people still think, "wow, a room discount is good, but I've got to eat and that's saving me $55 a day per person," even though the pricing is insane when you break it down.

I think that sums it up perfectly. Raise room rates, raise ticket prices, raise DDP and then offer it "free".....they will come. Great marketing ploy IMO.

joonyer
07-13-2012, 01:28 PM
Disney makes huge profits off the Dining plan. And they don't lose any money by offering free dining either. Expect them to keep pushing the envelope on price until it reaches a "breaking" point. Obviously, it hasn't gotten there yet.

VWL Mom
07-13-2012, 01:49 PM
Just out of curiosity, does anyone know how much they actually reimburse the restaurants for a TS credit?

AgentC
07-13-2012, 01:55 PM

I think this is true. I just recently went to WDW with friends. I have a Tables in Wonderland card I could have used for all of us. We had lunch at Columbia Harbor House where they bought 2 adult meals and 2 kids and dinner at Boma (3 adults and 2 kids). They paid $176.64 without tip for 3 adults (include child over 10) and 1 child.

If they had paid out of pocket and used my TIW discount for dinner. Lunch would have been about $40. Dinner without tip would be $103.00 for a total of $143. They did also get a snack that day but they also had to pay OOP for their drinks at dinner.

They just liked the convenience of prepay and everything on their room key.

CanadianWDWFan
07-13-2012, 02:48 PM
I agree with what everyone is saying. People like convenience and not having to worry about things. If folks just sat and spent some time pricing everything out they would see that the DDP is not necessarily a good deal, even when it is offered for free. With these price increases it really does beg for one to sit down and do the math.

Hammer
07-13-2012, 03:35 PM
I was just reading about the dining plan price increases for next year- forgive me if there is already a thread on it. Holy cow, it has gone up! I expect some price increases from year to year, but...

Quick-Service Dining Plan
$37.58 per night ages 10 and up
$14.32 per night age 3 to 9
2012 was $34.99 and $11.99.

Standard Dining Plan:
$55.59 per night ages 10 and up
$17.16 per night age 3 to 9
2012 was $51.54 and $15.02.

Deluxe Dining Plan:
$99.97 per night ages 10 and up
$26.84 per night ages 3 to 9
2012 was $85.52 and $23.79.

The Deluxe plan increase is especially jarring. And these are prices for Regular and Value Season- Peak is more expensive. I'm kind of gobsmacked considering the Dining Plan seems to offer less every year. I can't see how this will remain a good choice for consumers, unless dining prices are going up that much across the board (also a possibility).
This post is brought to you by someone who rarely checks prices and considers vacation a time to make memories and not pause on pricetags. So... either, if I'm surprised, others will be outraged. Or, I'm just catching up to what others have already found to be over the top.

I think that sums it up perfectly. Raise room rates, raise ticket prices, raise DDP and then offer it "free".....they will come. Great marketing ploy IMO.

Just look at the prices WDW charges for buffets now. Say thay raise the price for Chef Mickey's or Ohana to be around $42 pp next year. Then your QS and snack only need to add up to $12.50 to break even. If you're a family who goes to a lot of buffets or Character meals, then the DDP may not look so bad.

We rarely eat at buffets or character meals, but for a lot of people, based on the ADRs I see posted here, they eat at one of these restaurants per day.

mom2morgan
07-13-2012, 04:47 PM
I think the problem is that dining plan or no dining plan, table service meals at Disney are just ridiculously priced. It makes it hard for the average person to really have anything like an affordable vacation. We're going in September and got "free" dining, so I booked a lot of table service meals. But REALLY...I just went out for supper on Friday to a very nice hotel in my area and had an absolutely STELLAR buffet - prime rib and all the fixin's - for $22 per person. Then I think about paying $40 for bacon and eggs at Chef Mickey's? INSANE

wickedgin
07-15-2012, 01:09 AM
If you're a family who goes to a lot of buffets or Character meals, then the DDP may not look so bad.
Yes, character buffets are the only reason the DDP used to make sense for my group of 5.
Now I don't think I'd take the DDP even if it were "free" and I *certainly* wouldn't pay those prices!

TinkerbellT421
07-15-2012, 09:50 AM
Holy cow!!!! seeing prices like that it justifies DBF and I's thoughts about ddp not saving money. we did the ddp twice two years in a row to do the math to see of it saved money and that was 6 years ago and was substantially cheaper than that and it didn't save us money then. No idea how that would even come close now.

DNS
07-15-2012, 03:49 PM
Free dining seems to be offered longer. I wonder if the increase has anything to do with that. Those who pay will be paying more to offset the cost of the free offers.

the other micki
07-16-2012, 12:55 AM
Thanks for the "heads up", SBETigg! I will no longer blindly do the ddp! I will do the math!!! :teach:

Dulcee
07-16-2012, 08:50 AM
I think the problem is that dining plan or no dining plan, table service meals at Disney are just ridiculously priced. It makes it hard for the average person to really have anything like an affordable vacation. We're going in September and got "free" dining, so I booked a lot of table service meals. But REALLY...I just went out for supper on Friday to a very nice hotel in my area and had an absolutely STELLAR buffet - prime rib and all the fixin's - for $22 per person. Then I think about paying $40 for bacon and eggs at Chef Mickey's? INSANE

Unfortunately I think that's food prices in any major theme park. We went to Carowinds, a local theme park, about a year ago. For two of us a counter service lunch of chicken fingers, fries and soft drinks cost us $40ish, and it was awful :sick:.

Disney is right on par with other theme parks when it comes to food.

JROriole8Fan
07-16-2012, 09:39 AM
I wish they would continue to raise the prices so people wouldn't get them. I'm very tired of waiting in lines behind people on the dining plan, who have no clue and don't decide until they are at the register and have to ask every person in the party. Otherwise, Disney should have a separate line for them, so people paying at the register can order and get their food, while they poder their options. Then when they are done realize that they also get a dessert, and start all over again!

SBETigg
07-16-2012, 09:52 AM
Thanks for the "heads up", SBETigg! I will no longer blindly do the ddp! I will do the math!!! :teach:

I agree. We did the math years ago and it worked out for us then, but it's not the same plan now. Though, as Christine points out, meal prices have gone up, too. It might still work out for some dining styles. Always do the math.

The Hitchhiking Ghost
07-16-2012, 10:00 AM

I still think its situational. While the days where I pay for the DDP are certainly long gone, I don't think you can make a blanket statement that a room discount is better than the free dining.

We are booked 10 nights into POR, dw and 3 dd (one of which will by then will be considered a Disney "adult").

10 nights of free dining for 3 adults and 2 kids, basically equates to $1900-2000 of value.

I don't know that a moderate ever gets discounted more than 30%, but 10 nights at POR value season, even using the weekend rate of $200 per night equates to about a $60 per night savings or about $600 for a 10 nights stay.

To me, that's at least a $1,300 spread (probably more) with free dining vs. a room discount. I realize that if we were paying oop that we wouldn't order nearly as much food and could get by much cheaper than the daily DDP $$ allotment. But even so, it wouldn't amount to $1300, so for us the free dining is much better than the room discount.

Now, if you are two adults, with maybe just one kid staying at the Poly, then yeah, I could see a 30-40% room discount providing better value. But larger families staying at a moderate with one or more "child adults" the free dining generally provides better value, imo.

ChipNDale79
07-16-2012, 10:05 AM
Unfortunately I think that's food prices in any major theme park. We went to Carowinds, a local theme park, about a year ago. For two of us a counter service lunch of chicken fingers, fries and soft drinks cost us $40ish, and it was awful :sick:.

Disney is right on par with other theme parks when it comes to food.

Price wise I agree, they are right on par, but I wouldn't' agree the food compares at Carowinds vs Disney.

Sure I've had a few burgers at counter service places at Disney that tasted like stadium food and were disgusting (ABC Commissary and Restaurantosaurus), but just about all other counter services are pretty good.

I can't say the same for Carowinds, you pay top price for frozen food that's very unappetizing. We had season passes a few years ago and after purchasing a few meals in the park, we decided we would either run back to the house (only a few miles from Carowinds) or go to the Wendy's outside of the park for lunch, they won't get my money for food.

IMO the DDP doesnt really save you anything, it's basically a pre-paid meal plan. I recently did the math on it and we like to have nice sit down meals on our vacations, so it still makes sense to purchase it for us.

I wish they would continue to raise the prices so people wouldn't get them. I'm very tired of waiting in lines behind people on the dining plan, who have no clue and don't decide until they are at the register and have to ask every person in the party. Otherwise, Disney should have a separate line for them, so people paying at the register can order and get their food, while they poder their options. Then when they are done realize that they also get a dessert, and start all over again!

I've been behind people who have paid of out pocket who have taken forever in line as well.......wonder if we need a fast pass for counter service also, or if we should price those people out of the experience also.:shake:

I've got maybe a better idea, why not have a kiosk that allows you order from, that way people like us, who know what we want, can go in and order our food quickly.

joonyer
07-16-2012, 11:06 AM
. . . . .
I've got maybe a better idea, why not have a kiosk that allows you order from, that way people like us, who know what we want, can go in and order our food quickly.

It's coming. "Next Gen" will allow you to place an order for your meal before you even get to the park, if you want to. Smart phone apps!

ChipNDale79
07-16-2012, 11:10 AM
It's coming. "Next Gen" will allow you to place an order for your meal before you even get to the park, if you want to. Smart phone apps!

I mean that's cool, but I don't know what I want days before I get there. If I can order via smart phone while standing in the restaurant, or someone in the park...then cool.

TheVBs
07-17-2012, 09:16 AM
I agree with The Hitchhiking Ghost. You have to do the numbers to see whether the room discount or the free dining is the best value for you. I checked 2013 prices on our usual resort ASMu. I think the best room discount you can get is 30%, correct? That would save us about $40 a day on a preferred room. We usually stay 10 days, so $400 overall. Based on the 2013 prices for 4 people (2 adults, 1 adult age child and 1 child) on the DDP, free QS dining would give us $127 in free food a day. Over 10 days that's $1270 in food credits. Would we normally spend that much on food if we were paying out of pocket? Probably not. Would we spend more than $40 a day? Absolutely!

We would never buy the DDP, it's not a good value for us to purchase. However, the across the board statements that everyone is better off with the room discount is wrong. ;)

Dulcee
07-17-2012, 09:21 AM
Price wise I agree, they are right on par, but I wouldn't' agree the food compares at Carowinds vs Disney.

Oops! I meant it compares price wise, I agree I think many of the offerings at disney are of far better quality then other theme parks.