PDA

View Full Version : IATAN card...

LandFan
07-12-2012, 10:17 PM
All of you MJ Travel Agents...please help : )

Does the IATAN card get us any discounts at Disney?

DH now works IT at Travel Impressions (the travel wholesaler for AMEX) and he is getting one of these cards shortly and we have no idea if it will help us with our fall (or future) trips...

Thanks for any and all input!!

Tink1
07-12-2012, 11:09 PM
Since he is IT and not a booking agent, he would have to check with his employer and Disney.They have changed the way they do industry discounts (to cut down on abuse)

That said, we often book the general public specials over the TA rates due to the restrictions and not being able to add the dining plans.

Nanc

DizneyRox
07-13-2012, 06:49 AM
That said, we often book the general public specials over the TA rates due to the restrictions and not being able to add the dining plans
I used to do the same with general discounts over CM discounts. The difference was generally non existent and being treated as a normal guest versus a CM was worth it.

WishingStar2006
07-13-2012, 09:42 AM
Side bar question....I just booked a trip (actually my son did) using his college program discount....the previous post said that we're treated differently than regular guests?!?! Can you elaborate??? Now I'm scared!

DizneyRox
07-13-2012, 09:51 AM
Boils down to room choice (location, etc), and expectations... I'd rather have free reign as a normal guest and be able to complain if I'm not happy without being worried about my job (at the time).

Like I said, at the time there was a couple of dollars difference over the week or so, so going with an AP discount vs CM was a no brainer. Traditionally, CM discounts aren't all that great...

LandFan
07-13-2012, 09:53 AM
Thanks a LOT everyone. I am REALLY glad you all told me that there can be a difference in his discounts due to being in IT AND that there can be a difference in how we are treated/handled!

I see I will have to consider using these discounts carefully in the future...

On a brighter note - only 77 days :thumbsup:

DizneyRox
07-13-2012, 09:58 AM
It's not like you're treated like you're in steerage on the Titanic, but every time I have been in a CM room, it's been out of the way, obstructed view, etc. Given those rooms as a normal guest, I'd be back down at the front desk looking for a swap.

Now, in a Marriott hotel under the Associate Rate, I've been upgrade to suites and concierge level more often than not.

I don't think I've ever been upgraded at a Disney resort.

DebK
07-13-2012, 03:22 PM
I've never been upgraded either. I bought DVC so I don't have to worry about the discounts any more....

phillydan
07-16-2012, 01:17 PM
Not sure how the IATAN program has changed, but 10 years ago, I was an IT guy for a travel wholesaler and was able to use the discounts. If I recall, my ticket was heavily discounted and the rest of the family paid full price. With some of the discounts being offered now (free dining, room discounts, etc) it might be a wash. I was not treatred any differently than a normal guest when I checked in.

Rgeardless, the key for this to happen was that the IATAN card was issued in my name. Good luck.

LandFan
07-16-2012, 02:15 PM
Thanks Phillydan! His work did say that he is just listed as an employee and it would be the same discounts as anyone else has.