PDA

View Full Version : I swear to NEVER EVER AGAIN stay off site""!

gottaluvtink
07-12-2012, 07:42 PM
After 17 trips of staying at Disney resorts, we recently stayed at the Hilton Bonnet Creek. The hotel was lovely, but it wasn't Disney! The buses had a schedule, but it was a very inconvenient one. If you wanted to be at rope drop, you pretty much had to take a cab because the buses stopped sometimes at three different parks and didn't leave until 8:30! I have learned my lesson and it will never happen again! Nothing but Disney for me!

SBETigg
07-12-2012, 07:52 PM
I've heard that's a lovely resort, too. But you're right. Offsite just isn't worth the hassle for me, either. Sorry it turned out to be a learning experience. I hope you still had a great trip.

emerzmom
07-12-2012, 08:05 PM
I agree! I have stayed offsite a couple of times and every time I do it I swear I won't do it again....hopefully I have learned my lesson.
There's no place like Disney!
:mickey:
Julie

Melanie
07-12-2012, 08:51 PM
I've heard Bonnet Creek is very nice. That said, I wouldn't ever stay off site without my own car. I've had the opportunity living here the last 3 years to stay at I think every Marriott Vacation Club resort in the Orlando area, and to be truthful, it's nice to get away sometimes. These resorts have a lot to offer. But again, I'd never stay offsite without my own transportation!! :)

Pooh Fan
07-12-2012, 11:31 PM
I've only stayed off site once but with my own transportation.That part aside, I have to agree that it just was not the same. I think I would almost prefer to make a longer trip 2 distinct parts if doing that agian. A Disney part, staying on site and then the Orlando area portion. It is nice to see other parts of the area and that I did enjoy. However it certainly takes some of the Magic out of Disney when you aren't totally imersed in it. This may sound a bit silly but I love being on property and carrying nothing but my key to the world card. Think about how much "stuff" you need every time you leave the house. Keys, cash, bank card, credit cards, loyalty cards, pocket full or change, bulky wallet etc. One single card in my lanyard pouch. A silly little thing but it is so significant.

eandrsmom
07-13-2012, 10:44 AM
I have to agree that I would never stay offsite without my own car. Even when we are onsite, we use our car. We don't like to be at the mercy of public transportation. We stayed at the Wyndham Bonnet Creek this past May, and were happy with it. Being a family of six, the villa was an awesome deal. It didn't give me that warm, Disney feeling, but it was very nice. Because of the cost, we were able to go twice this year.

joonyer
07-13-2012, 10:47 AM
We have stayed offsite a couple of times (usually just one night of a week long WDW trip), mainly just to save money. They were relatively cheap motels, but met my expectations for the money. We would do it again if we needed to . But we drive to WDW so we have our own car; I don't think we'd want to do it without having a car there.

minnie04
07-13-2012, 11:48 AM
I have done both on and off property. I have to tell you the off property hotels are not that bad. We always stayed on property when the kids were small, but now we just don’t fit comfortable on site. I need at least a 2 bedroom with QUEEN beds. We always travel with our own car and never have a problem getting in and out of the parks. I guess if I flew down and stayed a week or two I would want all the perks on property gives you. Since we live close and we make weekend getaways out of Disney. The offsite hotels are perfect for a family of 5 and a DD boyfriend. But don't get me wrong if I have a chance to stay on property and we fit. I will grab it. I love the secure feeling I have on property and just being surrounded by Disney 24hours..:cloud9:
I just wish Disney offered a 2 bedroom with prices that wouldn’t break the bank. Then it would be so worth it. But to pay double sometimes triple to be on property with a bigger place just isn’t worth it to my family.

Altair
07-13-2012, 03:54 PM
We've never stayed on-site, but I wouldn't stay off-site without a car.:mickey:

AmandaChan
07-14-2012, 02:20 PM
I can't even imagine staying off site without my own car. Yeah it's not Disney but I'm starting to wonder with all of the ridiculous price increases if it's not going to be worth it to stay somewhere else/rent a car someday.

buzznwoodysmom
07-14-2012, 02:26 PM
Our first three trips to WDW was staying offsite. We didn't know any better. LOL.

After that first trip onsite there was no going back. I just prefer being onsite, it has nothing to do with the area resorts/hotels. We've visited Gaylord Palms once. It's a beautiful resort, and we've stayed at another Gaylord Resort a few times and absolutely love it. However, when in WDW we stay in WDW, it's just not the same for my family.

BlueDorrie
07-15-2012, 10:00 AM
After our first experience staying onsite 8 years ago, DH and I was hooked. No worries about renting a car or parking for that matter. Despite the fact it is pricier to stay on property, it's definitely worth it. :thumbsup:

LudwigVonDrake
07-15-2012, 10:50 AM
If I don't stay on property there's no use going :shrug:

darthmacho
07-15-2012, 11:21 AM
Sorry you had to learn the hard way, but I hope you still had a good trip, and I'm glad you've come to your senses. Now start planning that next trip. I recommend Port Orleans Riverside if you like moderate resorts. :mickey:

Katzateer
07-15-2012, 01:50 PM
We have stayed offsite a lot of trips but only because we used to get deep discounts because relatives worked for RCI and we got their family rates. But we have never stayed offsite without a rental car. I loved the vacation homes with their own pools, some of the condos were ok.

Now we don't have as many family members going with us and we don't get as good of discounts - so I wouldn't consider staying anywhere but Disney property.

Georgesgirl1
07-15-2012, 02:36 PM
We've stayed off property a lot in the past, but never without our own transportation. We usually drive our own car even when we are on property because I don't like being at the mercy of the bus system. It is definitely a different kind of trip when you stay off property, but sometimes our budget requires it:(

RocknBev
07-15-2012, 08:46 PM
I've done both...this time I'm staying at the Swan but my trips in December and February were at DTD Hilton which was great. You get a lot of the perks minus the MM soap but I have so much--I just pack my own! Staying at a nice hotel with room for $100 vs a value resort at a higher price is a no brainer for me. I prefer the nicer room and soak up Disney everywhere else especially with ADR's!

brownie
07-16-2012, 11:00 AM
I've never stayed offsite and don't plan on staying offsite. There are plenty of options for us at Walt Disney World.