PDA

View Full Version : January at WDW

Yoshi1983
07-12-2012, 07:10 PM
Hi,

New to the board, planning on going to WDW in january 17 to 27 in 2013. We are thinking about staying at Disney's All Star Movie Resort.

Looking at some of the WDW sites we understand that this isnt the busiest month of the year at WDW right?

We are wondering if we should order our hotel now, or if there's no real hurry to book a room so early? Maybe there will be discounts later? Or is it a gamble?

If we get discounts we could even hope for an upgrade to a better Disney resort.

Any advice? :mickey:

Traveling from Norway, so really looking forwards towards the trip :) In january in Norway its like -20, so a little Florida warth will do go!

faline
07-12-2012, 07:33 PM
Welcome to Intercot!! :mickey:

I'd suggest contacting Magical Journeys (http://yourmagicaljourneys.com/). They can walk you through your lodging accommodations and also assist you with getting any discounts as they are announced. They constantly monitor their bookings and apply any dicounts available as they come up. There are often discounts available during January so, even if you book now, they would be able to modify your reservation to take advantage of discounts that come along later.

Weather in January can be quite variable. Temperatures can get down to freezing - particularly at night. Daytime temperatures are typically moderate and may require a sweatshirt and jeans.

Crowds are typically low at the beginning of the month (after you get by the New Year's holiday). The Disney marathon(s) drive up the crowds a bit again. It has also become a popular month for large, organized tour groups. These groups tend to travel en masse which can sometimes be disruptive to those who are traveling with just family members.

While January is a time of lower attendance, there doesn't really seem be any really slow time any more.

Advice? Read the boards and you'll lots. Whenever you have a question, feel free to post it. Folks here love to share their knowledge of all things Disney!

Will this be your first Disney World trip? Have you visited any of the other Disney parks before?

epceddie
07-13-2012, 02:08 AM
We've gone to WDW two times in January and the weather has been downright chilly both times. One one trip we had to scrape frost off the front window of the car with a credit card. Those are the only two trips when I didn't go swimming, even once. Temps were in the high 40's to mid 50's and we had to wear sweatshirts and jeans both trips.
We switched things up a little this year and went Feb. 12-19 and we couldn't have been happier. The weather was great, I got to go swimming every day and we wore t-shirts and shorts the whole week.
The crowds in February were very manageable and we had a great time in and out of the parks.
We will not be returning in January any time soon. If you end up going on your planned dates, I hope you have the best weather ever. I just wanted to pass along two experiences that we had to let you know what you MIGHT encounter.
Welcome to Intercot! The people and the information on this site are first class all the way.

Wolf
07-13-2012, 10:17 AM
I'd second Magical Journeys, they are really amazing!! Also January is a funny month, it will for sure be warmer than where yall are coming from either way! We went one time and it was very cool but I cant remember what the temp was, then one time we went and most of our trip was in the 70's. I hope yall have an amazing trip!!! :mickey::number1:

Ms. Mode
07-13-2012, 10:28 AM
We have been in January three times, two were very cold...but not as cold as it was at home...but during the day the sky way blue, blue, blue and sunny even though it was cold. I loved it; we plan to go again in January!

Welcome to Intercot!

Janmac
07-14-2012, 09:25 AM
Here's another vote for Magical Journeys - their link is also on the menu at the left. I have used MJ several times because they make the booking process so easy as well as applying any discounts as soon as they are available. It will not cost you anything to use their service.

Usually, I book my room and then make travel arrangements. Usually we book at least 8 months out. Probably because I want to be sure we have a room but more likely because it's so exciting to have a trip planned. Seems more real when we have a room confirmation.

Our last January trip was 2010 which was variable. One day would be too warm and the next day would be very cool with a chilly wind blowing. While it is fun to come from cold winter to warm Florida, going from 20 degrees F (-6 C) to 75 or 80 F (24 or 27C) can be tough to get used to.

Definitely bring shorts as well as a scarf and light gloves, along with layering clothes. Many pools at Disney World depend on the sun for heat. Sometimes the day might seem warm but the water isn't as pleasant if the weather has been cool for several days.

There is lower attendance in January, but it is still a good plan to get into your park of the morning as soon as it opens. The larger groups mentioned in Faline's post generally don't get such an early start.

Guidebooks - and there are a lot to choose from - can provide attraction descriptions which you can use to figure out what will be your priorities. With over 50 attractions - when they're all open - just at Magic Kingdom, it's difficult to see everything. Typically, during slow times, some attractions are closed for maintenance. Splash Mountain at Magic Kingdom (MK) is often closed in January.

The public library I go to has several Disney planning guides available to borrow. I was able to find a guide that I liked, and have since bought my own, every few years.

As was mentioned, follow these discussion boards for awhile. You will pick up tips and also have more specific questions to post. Planning is almost as fun as being at Disney World.

It's good to learn all you can, and make plans for each day before you leave but once you get to Disney World be prepared for changes. Here's an example from our January 2010 trip: we had planned to leave Magic Kingdom about noon to go back to our resort to swim and nap. On our way to the exit we saw the Barbershop Quartet performing by the Ice Cream Shop. So we stopped for ice cream and listened to them for awhile. Then we went to our resort for a - shorter - swim.

Jan

disneymom15
07-14-2012, 11:34 AM
:welcome:to Intercot.
I agree, contacting Magical Journeys should be your first step. They are the best.:number1:
We've gone several times in January, and as mentioned, weather can be iffy. Crowd levels are managable. Enjoy your planning.

Yoshi1983
07-15-2012, 07:44 PM
Thanks!

We have now booked the flight, so gonna contact Magical Journeys for the hotel :)

Been to WDW one time before, but it was in 1996, so guess its changed a bit :)

Been to Disneyland Paris 3 times, so really looking forwards to WDW again :)

Disney's All Star Movie Resort is ok hotel? We actually just need a bed, since we'll be spending most of the time at the parks!

Is there transportation to Universal and Sea world from the resort?

Gator
07-16-2012, 01:32 AM
You want opinions on AllStar Movies? OK - I hated it. Don't get me wrong, the theming is pretty good. But the bedrooms are very small and the bus service is terrible. Seriously, I always waited forever in line for the buses. If you want a little bit more bang for your buck try any of the moderates. I know it's "just a bed", but you'll thank me later just with the better bus service - not to mention better rooms, bigger beds, and better food service.

And I'm jealous. I've wanted to go to Norway for a long time. Maybe I'll become a missionary and go live there!

faline
07-16-2012, 08:05 AM
Been to WDW one time before, but it was in 1996, so guess its changed a bit :)

Disney's All Star Movie Resort is ok hotel? We actually just need a bed, since we'll be spending most of the time at the parks!

Is there transportation to Universal and Sea world from the resort?

Things have changed quite a lot since your last visit! Please be sure to pick up a guidebook to acquaint yourself with everything that Disney now offers.

It's been a while since we've stayed at an All Stars (Music) but it was fine - standard room on the smallish side. You may want to determine if any cheerleading groups will be in competition during your dates - they often stay at the All Stars which has produced complaints of noisiness in the resort as well as an overloading of the quick service dining option there. These groups have little to no impact on park attendance. If you want to stay in the value category of rooms, you might also check out Pop Century which was built more recently than the All Stars.

There is a public bus that leaves from the Ticket and Transportation Center, Lynx, that can get you to Sea World. I'm not aware of an easy way to get to Universal unless you cab over, rent a car, or hie a transport company like Quicksilver.

faline
07-16-2012, 08:18 AM
Also, in considering where to stay, you may want to peruse this discussion (http://intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=192946).

CMCTxMom
07-16-2012, 08:19 AM
Didn't I hear that ASM was recently renovated or in the process of being renovated? So it might be pretty new-ish. If you read these boards enough you see Pop come up a lot - if I were going to stay @ a Value I think I'd do that just based on comments I've seen and heard.

Disney Hungarian
07-16-2012, 08:32 AM
The value rooms are 260 square feet (24 square meters.) Not small by European standards (based on my stays in Europe ;-)
If you just want a bed and a place to shower the values are a good choice.
Here is a link to INTERCOT's ASMo listing:
http://www.intercot.com/resorts/disney/allstarmovie/default.asp

Patricia
07-16-2012, 08:39 AM
Coming from Canada we swim in the winter months. The pools are heated. Yes, it can be chilly for some people but we are usually in our light clothes carrying a sweat shirt.. while others are freezing. I've seen locals wearing parkas when the temps are around 10-13 C. I recall it being cold enough for mini gloves one December.. but only in the evening.
Beats being too hot.

Crowds are weird, we often change parks if we find one too busy with tour groups.

As far as value resorts, I prefer PoP to the others. Like the food court better, like the gift shop better.. and the bus system is better. Art of Animation has just opened and if you don't mind a walk to the Little Mermaid rooms, I'm sure it will be a good place to stay.. and it's shiny new.