PDA

View Full Version : Marathon effecting crowd levels?

gottaluvtink
07-12-2012, 07:02 PM
I am planning on taking a trip to Disney in January. This summer of 108 degrees has done me in with the heat. Sick of it! Anyway, we were thinking maybe Jan. 5th through the 12th, which will coincide with some of the marathon. Does the marathon effect crowd levels? Also, I have no idea how the marathon works. Does it effect the parks? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Melanie
07-12-2012, 07:19 PM
You will see a rise in crowds for marathon, but nothing approaching summer or Christmas crowds. It's very doable, especially if you know what to avoid.

Essentially, "Marathon Central" is Epcot. All 3 races (the family 5K on Friday, 1/2 Marathon on Saturday, and full marathon on Sunday) start and end in the Epcot parking lot. The races start early morning. Obviously the 5K and 1/2 are going to be finished basically before park opening. But the full marathon runs into park hours and you will see the runners at Hollywood Studios and Epcot if you choose to go to one of these parks on Sunday. The route is start at Epcot, run to MK area, then to AK, then to Wide World of Sports, then Hollywood Studios and back through Epcot while finishing in the parking lot.

My advice has always been to go to MK or AK on Sunday if you wish to avoid the runners. Or hang back at your resort and go for a little later breakfast while crowds clear out. By early afternoon things will be clear again and you'll see some runners hobbling through the parks later on, sporting their medals!

Roads and traffic are most definitely affected and expect delays even on Disney transportation. A little patience goes a long way on Marathon weekend.

To be honest, I've never minded the marathon crowds, but maybe I'm biased because my husband runs. More bothersome in recent years is the great increase in foreign tourist groups in January. :(

gottaluvtink
07-12-2012, 07:49 PM
Thanks Melanie. I agree with the whole tourist group thing. We have avoided that and we normally go in September. I have gone first week of February, and that was not bad. I think it may be fun to see some of the marathon. I just wondered how much more crowded it makes the parks.

Melanie
07-12-2012, 08:56 PM
I guess my previous post could have said just this - the marathoners and their families/friends don't make that much of an impact on the crowds that weekend. But comparing marathon weekend crowds these past few years and marathon weekend from 5, 6, 7 years ago is quite different. THAT is a result of the foreign groups that have found their way to WDW in January.

It is fun watching and cheering on the marathoners, if only to check out some of the costumes some of them wear. My favorite spot is anywhere in Hollywood Studios. :thumbsup:

Strmchsr
07-13-2012, 01:45 PM
The only thing I would add is if you have your own car, don't try to drive on marathon weekends. Traffic is nuts due to things being rerouted. Normally I drive myself around, but when I'm there for the marathon we use Disney transportation only during the weekend.