PDA

View Full Version : Muppets?

Goofy0101
07-12-2012, 09:53 AM
Hi everyone,

Just wondering whether, in light of the 2011 release of The Muppets movie, muppet characters such as Kermit or Miss Piggy have been making any appearances in the parks.

Thanks!

Wolf
07-12-2012, 10:31 AM
I would love that!!

DizneyFreak2002
07-12-2012, 11:37 AM
Not that I have heard or read... The Muppets have been mismanaged by TWDC since the purchase... I hope this latest movie, which was excellent, gets the franchise restarted in a big way... With a sequel already announced and in the works, I would love to see Disney put more Muppets in DHS... Maybe even refurb MuppetVision and build the Great Muppet Movie Ride in their own Muppet Studios section... Pizza Planet needs to go so retheme it to Swedish Chef... :)

PirateLover
07-12-2012, 04:01 PM
The lack of movie promotion in the parks really baffled me. Disney did a LOT to promote the recent movie on TV and social media, which was good to see because I agree that Disney really dropped the ball with this franchise. I don't get why more wasn't done in the parks, though

There used to be Kermit and Piggy life sized characters. I have a picture with them from 2002. They were retired shortly thereafter. The rumor I heard was that there was an issue with the costume design, and that was the end for meet and greets. A few years ago Dr. Bunsen Honeydew and Beaker could be found roaming around in the Muppet Mobile Labs which was part of the Living Character Initiative. Last I heard it was over in Hong Kong, not sure if it is still there.

I also remember reading an announcement of another Living Character Initiative, this one featuring Dr. Teeth and the Electric Mayhem Band; however I haven't heard anything else about it since.

Hopefully Disney Parks gets on the ball and does more to capitalize on the popularity of the recent movie. :kermit:

Goofy0101
07-13-2012, 10:33 AM
I agree that Disney should be doing way more with the Muppets franchise. That is very interesting about the Living Character Initiative! What exactly is it though?

Wolf
07-13-2012, 01:49 PM
Beaker would make my day!! Hes my fav muppet!!

PirateLover
07-13-2012, 06:17 PM
I agree that Disney should be doing way more with the Muppets franchise. That is very interesting about the Living Character Initiative! What exactly is it though?

You can YouTube videos of Muppet Mobile Labs, basically it was a highly life-like audio-animatronic thing that traveled around on a space age looking segway and actually interacted with park guests. They would perform different "experiments" and make jokes. We saw it in Epcot once, I remember lots of bubbles blowing everywhere! Other Living Characters included Lucky the Dinosaur, and shows like Turtle Talk with Crush also fall under this category.