PDA

View Full Version : Whispering Canyon Cafe?

disneynarula
07-11-2012, 05:47 AM
How loud is it at the Whispering Canyon? I think DH would like the food but is not one for tom foolery!

Any other ideas for a place to eat near the Magic Kingdom for dinner?

mgmnut
07-11-2012, 07:07 AM
We ate there last trip in July when we stayed at VWL. We had dinner at WCC and I did not find it to be too loud, but keep in mind there is "Tom Foolery". They have stick horse races around the tables, if someone asks for ketchup there is a huge"to do". It is all in good fun and I did not find it the least bit annoying or inappropriate, you just get to see kids enjoying themselves during dinner. The food is also very good at WCC.

If he just wants to sit and enjoy a quiet dinner with kids sitting with both feet on the floor and napkins on their laps, this may not be for you.

Scar
07-11-2012, 07:12 AM
It's been a long time since I ate there, but there was a back area that was seperate from the main area where the "antics" did not take place.

civilmousefan
07-11-2012, 07:37 AM
During my last trip in November, I was seated in an area that seemed to be a 'deck' that overlooked the lobby. At the time, there were two other groups seated in this area and it was a very quiet and relaxing dinner.

AgentC
07-11-2012, 08:04 AM
We ate there once and it was loud but not unpleasant.

Other places to check out near MK to eat

Poly- Kona Cafe or Ohanas

Grand Floridian- 1900 Park Fare- I have eaten here and too be honest I am not crazy about the food, but the character experience was great. My husband thought the food was good, so maybe it is just me! :D

Grand Floridian Cafe- I have never eaten here but I have heard good things.

Contemporary - California Grill or The Wave. I love the Cali Grill. I have not tried The Wave. It seems to get mixed reviews.

Ms. Mode
07-11-2012, 09:47 AM
During my last trip in November, I was seated in an area that seemed to be a 'deck' that overlooked the lobby. At the time, there were two other groups seated in this area and it was a very quiet and relaxing dinner.

This is where we were seated also. I think when the waitress started out to gently "mess" with us she saw we weren't into it and kinda backed it off some. the food is excellent

RedSoxFan
07-11-2012, 10:30 AM
I have ADR's to eat there for the first time in November. I have not told DH or DD about it 'being loud'. I think it'll be fun.

IamBelle
07-11-2012, 10:50 AM
I heard that if you want to enjoy Whispering Canyon but don't like all of the noise, you can request to sit in the "library" so you can enjoy the restaurant without too much noise.

ibelieveindisneymagic
07-11-2012, 10:57 AM
On our last trip there we were seated in the "back room" and it was just perfect! We had fun with the waitress, but it wasn't over the top or as crazy as the main dining room.

There are most certainly antics, but the CM's are good at figuring out who wants to really get involved and who is happier to sit back and watch.

PlutoPlanet
07-11-2012, 12:48 PM
Sometimes I think "Tom Foolery" is the manager in charge at WCC.

Arielfan98
07-11-2012, 02:46 PM
Personally going there as a 10 year old I had the worst Disney Dining experience there. I was browsing the menu as our waitress was telling us our specials and she rudely commanded me to pay attention to her. Not to mention it was too loud for me and when I needed ketchup it was a whole big fuss of kids carrying it to my table. It was unnecessary, and I would have preferred one bottle of ketchup for myself.

disneynarula
07-11-2012, 03:03 PM
Personally going there as a 10 year old I had the worst Disney Dining experience there. I was browsing the menu as our waitress was telling us our specials and she rudely commanded me to pay attention to her. Not to mention it was too loud for me and when I needed ketchup it was a whole big fuss of kids carrying it to my table. It was unnecessary, and I would have preferred one bottle of ketchup for myself.

This is what I am afraid of. I am considering bringing ketchup packets with me in my purse:secret: DS loves ketchup and I don't want it to be this whole thing.

The tomfoolery is why I also don't like the 50s Prime Time Cafe even though I like the food.

I guess I am just a stick in the mud!

Briansmom
07-11-2012, 07:05 PM
Yes, I agree that the 'library' is a good place to be because it is very very very quiet. But if you can snag a table along the balcony in the main dining room, it isnt as loud and you can 'observe' the tom foolery. Our first visit, that is where we were seated and I could never understand why people said it was so loud at WCC....it was not like that for us until 3rd visit. (2nd visit was in the library) but 3rd visit was along windows along the back wall of the main dining area, which was loud. But the loudest location was in the middle section right near a corner near the 'walkway'. That was really almost unbearable for us, and we are huge WCC fans. Library was almost too quiet for us, but that middle table was too loud. You can request the library when you check in for your ADR. We requested a table along the balcony overlooking the lobby but we got the library.

mgmnut
07-11-2012, 11:03 PM
The tomfoolery is why I also don't like the 50s Prime Time Cafe even though I like the food.

I guess I am just a stick in the mud!

I like 50's Prime Time, we have had some great servers who did a great job playing the part up, never anything too over the top though. WCC was the same, the server wasn't annoying or bothersome, just fun. I thought the food was really good.

ElenitaB
07-12-2012, 12:10 AM
If you're worried about the loudness and the pranks, but still want similar type of food and a rustic feel, maybe Trails' End at Ft. Wilderness might fit the bill. They have a buffet at dinner, that serves soup, salads, chili, veggies, ribs, the same yummy fried chicken as Hoop Dee Doo, pasta, pizza, carved meats, desserts, etc. You can take the boat there from the MK.

VWL Mom
07-12-2012, 06:24 AM

My boys feel exactly the same way! Even though we stay at WL for many of our trips our last meal at WCC was 14 years ago when they were 4 and 8.

DS had some special needs issues when he was younger. I took the waitress aside and explained this to her and asked her to tone it down (which she didn't) and also asked for her to bring 1 bottle of ketchup and not yell it out (she didn't do that either). He was extremely agitated and we had to leave and never returned since.

RBrooksC
07-12-2012, 07:25 AM
First off, several years ago I found a website that gave suggestions on what to ask the server to really expand your experience at Whispering Canyon Cafe. However, I cannot find it again. Does anybody know of any of the fun questions to ask the server to get your experienced "plussed?"

Also, one time we went for lunch, we had just come in from the MK. It had been hot and I was VERY thirsty.

So, when my ball jar glass was brought, I down the drink almost immediately. My server saw this and said some sarcastic remark (all in good fun) and brought me another drink. This time, it was in a super small glass with a straw I almost had to stand up to use. Needless to say, my wife had a great laugh with this.

And last time we were there, I had my five year old son ask for ketchup. Not so he could be embarrassed by getting all of them at our table. I wanted him to have the chance to bring the bottles to somebody else.

mgmnut
07-12-2012, 09:28 AM
If you're worried about the loudness and the pranks, but still want similar type of food and a rustic feel, maybe Trails' End at Ft. Wilderness might fit the bill. They have a buffet at dinner, that serves soup, salads, chili, veggies, ribs, the same yummy fried chicken as Hoop Dee Doo, pasta, pizza, carved meats, desserts, etc. You can take the boat there from the MK.

I have heard the food here is really good too, I might have to put that on the list for July, especially for that Fried Chicken.:eat::chick:

Disney Doll
07-12-2012, 02:57 PM
I think it certainly makes a difference as far as where you sit. If you prefer something more quiet just ask. I think the servers do a pretty good job of reading which guests are game to participate and which are not. However, you might give your husband a heads up and see what he thinks. If the idea of any tom foolery at all makes him annoyed then you should plan something else. It's not fair to the servers or the other guests who come specifically for that kind of experience. Also, the restaurant is open to the lobby so you could just stop by sometime and watch to get a feel for what you might experience if you dine there.

joonyer
07-12-2012, 02:58 PM
I love the food at WCC, but for me it's more fun to watch the other diners be on the receiving end of the gags and antics. I guess don't like being in the spotlight.

Tinkerbella16
07-13-2012, 09:38 AM
We loved WCC. It was just 3 of us adults when we dined there for dinner, so they sat us in the "library" part and it was perfect! It wasn't loud, and the waiter still had a little fun with us. The food was fantastic! Can't wait to go back again! :mickey:

figgie
07-13-2012, 11:13 AM
AS with all restaurants at Disney, you just need to understand the theme of that restaurant and pick the kind of restaurant that suites your needs. We enjoy the interaction at WC sometimes and other times, we will pick a different restaurant with a different atmosphere. Disney does a good job at having many different options for the many different people that come visit!

I do want to give a shout out to WC for it's gluten free corn bread!!!! It is fabulous and the chef even worked out the smaller portion recipe for us and e-mailed it to me, what a treat!!!:eat:

GrandFlo
07-14-2012, 03:23 PM
[QUOTE=RBrooksC;2281500]First off, several years ago I found a website that gave suggestions on what to ask the server to really expand your experience at Whispering Canyon Cafe. However, I cannot find it again. Does anybody know of any of the fun questions to ask the server to get your experienced "plussed?"

I saw this once too. All I can remember is something about a penny and if a kid asks for a crayon color. I wish I could remember as we are having dinner here in August.