PDA

View Full Version : Stop the Presses!!! - Update Since My Stay

Melanie
07-10-2012, 06:04 PM
See here:

Example 1 (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showpost.php?p=2235400&postcount=15)

Example 2 (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showpost.php?p=2237989&postcount=12)

Example 3 (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showpost.php?p=2170704&postcount=2)

Oh and I could go on and on. :D

BUT, guess where I'm staying this weekend? :blush:

My oldest and I will literally be on our way out of Florida to our new home in Virginia :(, and of course I can't resist stopping for a few nights on the way north. I shot wonderful Wendy an email and with what she presented back to me, FQ fit my budget and the desire to be near the Best Friends Pet Care where we're having to board the cats for the 2 nights. Riverside was also available, but we stayed there last month and I wanted something different.

Yes, I'm willing to give FQ another chance. :faint: It's been refurbed since we stayed there in '09 and I'll just ignore the creepy masks in the food court. Don't look up!!!! :silly:

Gator
07-10-2012, 06:16 PM
With all those examples, I'm about to call up my travel agent at SWT and tell her to switch me back to Coronado. It's my fav, but it wasn't on the free dining list back when I booked. I wonder if it will be on the list when the deal goes public?

Never done POFQ, so my fingers are crossed.

AgentC
07-10-2012, 06:30 PM
:laughing: I never look up when I'm in there. Too busy enjoying the beignets! :thumbsup:

Maybe you will come around like you did on POR. :D

I love POFQ. I especially like walking the resort at night enjoying the fountains and French Quarter atmosphere.

I hope you both really enjoy it and you have a great last weekend in FL.

Now I must go :cry: as I contemplate Twitter without your tweets.

SBETigg
07-10-2012, 06:39 PM
Wow, time flies. You're making the move! Best wishes with the relocation. I hope you end up loving your stay at POFQ.

PirateLover
07-10-2012, 06:41 PM
I hope you find this stay more enjoyable, especially since it will be your last hurrah before moving on. We will be awaiting your full report! :mickey:

buzznwoodysmom
07-10-2012, 06:56 PM
Oh Mel, that's great that you guys will sneak in one last stay. I would do the same thing.

We actually loved FQ when we stayed there. The only negative for us (really just the boys) was the pool slide. I didn't mind the clowns in the food court, but I can see how some would think they are creepy. LOL. I hope you enjoy your stay and at least if you still don't like it you'll know for sure now. I didn't love Riverside, but I think one of these days I'll probably give it another try. Everything is worth a second try....just to make sure. ;)

Enjoy yall weekend, and best of luck with the move!

ibelieveindisneymagic
07-10-2012, 07:24 PM
Who are you and what you have done with the Melanie we all know and love?!??!?!?!?!?!?

Seriously, glad you're getting another trip in, and I do hope you like FQ ... just don't look at the scary burger king guy in the food court too long!

Kairi_7378
07-10-2012, 07:35 PM
Wow, can't believe that your move is here already. Have a great trip! And don't look up in the food court :-) That was one of the few things I didn't care for there, but we generally don't use the CS at the resort much.

At FQ we enjoyed the compact-ness of the resort as well as its central location since we were using the buses. Bus service was great. Try to take the boat to or from DTD at night- really enjoyed the view from the water.

coloradowendyl
07-10-2012, 07:55 PM
I am so excited for you and your new adventures in Virginia, but I am so going to miss my "two day notice" requests! You keep me on my toes lol!

I toured Best Friends 3 weeks ago and your kitties are going to love the Cat condos!

I love POFQ....have a drink by the "dancing gators" and soak up the atmosphere!

Wendy

disney obsessed
07-10-2012, 08:29 PM
the things we do for.......

Love

Addiction

One more day'!!!!!!!,

Melanie
07-10-2012, 08:48 PM
Maybe you will come around like you did on POR. :D

Ah, but the thing is Cindy, I didn't dislike Riverside like I do FQ. ;)

Try to take the boat to or from DTD at night- really enjoyed the view from the water.

This is something I may actually try doing. I've only ever done it during the day. Bet it's really pretty at night.

I am so excited for you and your new adventures in Virginia, but I am so going to miss my "two day notice" requests! You keep me on my toes lol!

I toured Best Friends 3 weeks ago and your kitties are going to love the Cat condos!

Ah Wendy, I'm going to miss sending you those requests. You've always been so good to me and gotten me quotes and reservations with lightning speed. Next time I contact you about business, I promise it will be with more notice and a longer stay. ;)

Glad you had a good impression of Best Friends. It's surprisingly very reasonably priced. But seriously, my cats get to go to Disney World?!?! :funny:

Thanks all, and I'll be sure to report back. I remember my big issues last time were definitely the bad shape the rooms were in, the creepy masks and the pool theming. I doubt we'll be swimming much, if any, so that won't matter. I'm anxious to see the refurbed rooms.

VWL Mom
07-10-2012, 10:00 PM
But seriously, my cats get to go to Disney World?!?! :funny:

Oh please don't let that get around, I have 3 of them (and a dog) that will want to tag along on our next trip if they knew they could. :nono:

Have a wonderful weekend and safe travels on your drive to your new home.

AgentC
07-10-2012, 10:53 PM
Ah, but the thing is Cindy, I didn't dislike Riverside like I do FQ. ;)

:funny:

BrerGnat
07-11-2012, 08:00 AM
FQ will probably become your new favorite for sentimental reasons ("it was the last WDW resort I stayed at before I left Florida.")

Heck, I have fond memories of the Springhill Suites Irvine just because it was where our family spent our last few days at "home" before we moved to this godforsaken place. ;)

RedSoxFan
07-11-2012, 10:28 AM
Have a great time and I do hope you like POFQ. I didn't book POFQ this time around (went with CS) as I think the rooms are ugly with the purple/yellow. DH tells me it's just a place to sleep; but I found the pics of the rooms ugly.

Melanie
07-17-2012, 12:09 PM
So sorry in advance to all the FQ lovers here, but I just didn't love it, and in fact staying there again made me remember more vividly all the things I didn't like there to begin with. :sad:

While there are many pros to this resort (size, refurbished rooms, boat to DTD, beignets) my cons (food court decor, pool theming, gift shop, room decor) trump them.

First the rooms. The recent refurbishment was very needed and did improve the rooms. The queen size beds are nice. But still, to me the room was decor was flat and boring. Can't think of much that was "Disney" in it either.

The food court was just as creepy and overwhelming as I remembered, and maybe even more so. As I sat there eating, I looked around and wondered how I could really be only one of few who is bothered by all that creepiness surrounding you there. Those giant masks are beyond scary! Guess I wouldn't enjoy Mardi Gras much, huh? :blush: Yesterday morning we took our YUMMY beignets to an outside table to enjoy.

The pool theming (sea serpent) just doesn't do it for me. Although not horrible, there are so many other pools on site (other mods included) that have better pools, IMO. Again, just kinda flat along with a standard pool bar.

Lastly, the gift shop is just kinda there as well. Small, offering nothing unique (in merchandise or display) and flat decor.

I do love the size and ability to get around to creepy food court, bus stops, etc. quickly, and the DTD boat ride is wonderful. All the CMs we encountered were wonderful as well. I loved being right across the street from my the Best Friends Pet Care where my cats were being boarded as well.

But now, all my curiosity regarding this resort has been satisfied and I'll leave it to all you FQ lovers. Enjoy! :thumbsup:

ibelieveindisneymagic
07-17-2012, 12:26 PM
I'd been waiting to hear what you thought.

Sorry you still didn't like it ... but I do agree that the food court is creepy!

Still, that is one of the (many) great things about Disney, lots of resort choice ... you can stay where you like!

AgentC
07-17-2012, 12:26 PM
At least you gave it a shot. And that's one of my favorite things about WDW- there is enough variety to keep us all happy. :thumbsup:

As someone who enjoys POFQ, I actually think you have really valid points. The food court doesn't bother me but I don't love it either. I could see where it wouldn't be to everyone's tastes. My favorite food court is the one at POR.

The pool theming (sea serpent) just doesn't do it for me. Although not horrible, there are so many other pools on site (other mods included) that have better pools, IMO. Again, just kinda flat along with a standard pool bar.

If I was visiting this resort as an adult or with older kids, I would agree with this assessment. At my kids current ages, the pool was a plus because the slide was non threatening to my son. He has since become water slide boy and I can see him getting bored here soon.

Lastly, the gift shop is just kinda there as well. Small, offering nothing unique (in merchandise or display) and flat decor.

For me this one is a plus. You've met my son, the shopaholic. :shop: Less options = less damage to my wallet.:D

buzznwoodysmom
07-17-2012, 12:30 PM
Those giant masks are beyond scary! Guess I wouldn't enjoy Mardi Gras much, huh? :blush:

IBut now, all my curiosity regarding this resort has been satisfied and I'll leave it to all you FQ lovers. Enjoy! :thumbsup:

Mel,

LOL, the masks don't bother me at all, but I've been to Mardi Gras parades all my life so it's just something I grew up seeing a lot. Even my kids thought the food court was cool!!!

Totally agree with you on the pool and gift shop. While I loved FQ, if we never stay there again it will totally be because my kids were bored to death with that pool. The pool did NOTHING for us. I can live with it, but my boys.....not so much. And the gift shop was probably my least favorite on property, but it didn't really bother us.

Your last statement is exactly how I feel about POR and Le Cellier. I didn't enjoy my stay at Riverside, and I've tried LeCellier twice and can't wrap my head around all the hype. Therefore I'll leave those places for those who really love them!

Hope you had a good last trip otherwise!

disneymomma2010
07-17-2012, 11:32 PM
So sorry in advance to all the FQ lovers here, but I just didn't love it, and in fact staying there again made me remember more vividly all the things I didn't like there to begin with. :sad:

While there are many pros to this resort (size, refurbished rooms, boat to DTD, beignets) my cons (food court decor, pool theming, gift shop, room decor) trump them.

First the rooms. The recent refurbishment was very needed and did improve the rooms. The queen size beds are nice. But still, to me the room was decor was flat and boring. Can't think of much that was "Disney" in it either.

The food court was just as creepy and overwhelming as I remembered, and maybe even more so. As I sat there eating, I looked around and wondered how I could really be only one of few who is bothered by all that creepiness surrounding you there. Those giant masks are beyond scary! Guess I wouldn't enjoy Mardi Gras much, huh? :blush: Yesterday morning we took our YUMMY beignets to an outside table to enjoy.

I do love the size and ability to get around to creepy food court, bus stops, etc. quickly, and the DTD boat ride is wonderful. All the CMs we encountered were wonderful as well. I loved being right across the street from my the Best Friends Pet Care where my cats were being boarded as well.

But now, all my curiosity regarding this resort has been satisfied and I'll leave it to all you FQ lovers. Enjoy! :thumbsup:

I completly agree and am staying away from it, even though I love POR. I do not like the decor in the rooms, food court is too creepy, and the pool is dated and boring. I think it would be a very good idea on disney's part to do a complete overhaul on the pool and the food court. .... and I appologize to those who love it. :blush: Good thing we all have different tastes and disney gives us plenty of unique choices!

BrerGnat
07-18-2012, 08:09 AM
I had never seen pictures of the POFQ food court until I saw your Twitter picture of it.

EEK! That is MEGA creepy, and I am not easily bothered by such things. Seriously, though, that would be enough right there to keep me away from that place. My kids would probably have nightmares if we took them in there. ;)

Plus, I agree that the pool there is ultra LAME. POR Ol Man Island is so much better. I like POR, so I think if I stay at a moderate in the future, I'll just stick with that one.

madhatterrules
07-18-2012, 02:12 PM
just returned from our trip, spent 5 days here. It was lovely. The new rooms are nice and the property is great. We loved the food court and the pool. They now show movies outside at night & have a firepit. Very enjoyable :mickey:

MNNHFLTX
07-18-2012, 03:04 PM
I was interested to hear your thoughts about FQ, Mel. I've never stayed there myself and my only exposure to it has been the food court to pick up beignets (when I've stayed at PO) and wandering through to catch the boat to Downtown Disney (which you would remember as you were there also!) Anyway, I agree the decor in the food court is disconcerting, to say the least. I blame it on the clown phobia! ;)

Honestly, the only moderate that I really like is Coronado Springs--the others are okay for a short stay but will never be favorites.

Dopey's Girl
07-18-2012, 04:27 PM
I have been having nightmares about those creepy masks since I saw the pics on twitter. They are just too much for me. I hate clowns or anything with painted faces.

My dad loves staying at POFQ, I don't mind the rest of the resort, but I flatly refuse to go in there to eat. The last time I was in there, I didn't even make it to the scary masks. There was a little boy in the hallway alone :sick:. That chased me out pretty quickly before I could even see the creepers on the ceiling!