PDA

View Full Version : Choosing an Airline

beksy
07-09-2012, 04:07 PM
This year will be the first time that I am not going to be able to fly Southwest. I have always had great luck with them (friendly service, low prices, on time flights) but am flying out of Richmond where they don't operate. I don't have any experience with booking flights other than through Southwest so I am looking for any help I can get! :confused: How are JetBlue or AirTran? Does anyone have any other affordable favorite airlines? Also, I am seeing the non-airline sites advertising (Travelocity, Hotwire, etc.)...are these safe to book through or do they overbook the seats and I may miss my flight altogether? It will be 2 of us traveling. TIA for any suggestions and tips!

disneymom15
07-09-2012, 05:05 PM
We've flown Southwest and Airtran and have had good luck with both. I think Southwest and Airtran merged together. However, Airtran charges for checked bags.

VWL Mom
07-09-2012, 05:31 PM
We've flown JetBlue numerous times and they are our preferred carrier from Newark. They do not overbook plus they give you a credit good for one year if your fare goes down after booking.

No experience with AirTran because they don't fly nonstop from here.

BrerGnat
07-09-2012, 05:50 PM
I really like Jet Blue.

I usually fly either JB or Southwest, because I like their baggage allowance, employees, and general business attitude.

If I can't get one of those, I go with Continental or United.

Booking through any of the online sites is generally a bit more expensive than choosing to book directly through the airline, as the airlines charge "booking fees" to third parties. It's only a few dollars, but it's enough to make me not use them.

faline
07-09-2012, 05:55 PM
My last 4 or 5 flights have been on Jet Blue. I actually prefer them because I can choose my seats in advance and they have the individual televisions. Their baggage allowance is not as generous as Southwest's but we've managed to make do with the one checked bag per person that the allow. In fact, when I've checked prices for my last several flights, they've come in with better prices than Southwest has.

azcavalier
07-10-2012, 09:54 AM
When we lived in Illinois, we always flew AirTran. Prices were great, and we loved that all of the planes had satellite radio built into the seats, that could be used for free. So the kids would always fly down to Orlando, and entertain themselves with Radio Disney. I loved the comedy station. Plus, the planes were always clean, and the attendants funny...part of their culture, much like Southwest.

I haven't flown Southwest in years...partly because they don't fly out of any airports close to me, but also because when I check prices, they don't seem to be any cheaper, like they used to be.

All of that said, didn't Southwest buy AirTran just a few months ago?

ThanxForNoticin
07-11-2012, 12:59 PM
For the most part, we've had very good experiences with both Southwest and JetBlue. They are consistently ranked high in customer service. We've also be pleased to a lesser degree with AirTran - so I wouldn't hesitate to use them. I just would suggest you check out JetBlue first.

rwdavis2
07-12-2012, 10:50 AM
When you check out Jet Blue (great airline!) make sure they don't fly from Richmond to either Boston (Logan airport) or JFK first before heading to Orlando.

A quick google maps estimate of driving from Richmond to Washington National airport shows 2 hours. You may want to consider National or even Dulles. Jet Blue has non-stops from National to Orlando.

EDIT:
Just noticed where you live so that's 3 hours to National. Dulles maybe?

Disneyglamour
07-12-2012, 02:17 PM
No matter what airline you choose, if you're staying on property make sure to take advantage of Disney's Magical Express! It's such a great service and makes things SO much easier going from the airport to the hotel and back!

mydisneygirls
07-12-2012, 03:38 PM
I have flow both Southwest and JetBlue I prefer JetBlue. I like that they don't charge a bag fee and particulary like the tv's as it makes the flight go by quickly.

SandmanGStefani24
07-12-2012, 11:16 PM
my preferred is JetBlue. They are one of the only airlines who fly direct to MCO from my closest airport. (Southwest is the other) The jets are newer based on fleet average air, service is excellent, and there is free tv too! :thumbsup:

I have also flown Continental (during the merger, and the plane still had Cont painted on it) because it got me to WDW sooner. No beef there I suppose but not sure now that the merger is done.

The only airline I won't fly ever again is American. Have never gotten in on time, and every time I fly American I end up stranded or in the wrong city for one reason or another. Service is also very poor.

Ed
07-13-2012, 08:32 AM
All of that said, didn't Southwest buy AirTran just a few months ago?

Yes, they did. The merger is still in progress, but it's still going to be a year or so until the AirTran name disappears and everything becomes Southwest.