PDA

View Full Version : DCL Alaska Cruise

DVC2004
07-09-2012, 12:15 PM
So we had this booked last year but had to cancel since it was right around the time when my son was graduating and we hadn't realized it conflicted with the dates when we booked ( a year and half before). My husband still wants to go and I have been looking into it as a possibility.

Has anyone here been on the DCL Alaskan Cruise?

I think it would be fun. However, I could anticipate the excursions being frequently and costly ( I mean, you don't go up there to stay on the boat most of the time in port). Can anyone comment on excursions and price points? Maybe which ones were especially good?

Any input is appreciated.

marlyn
07-10-2012, 07:43 PM
If you go onto the official DCL website you can search ports and port adventures and prices are listed there.
I did the Alaska cruise last August and loved it! I didn't find the excursions too bad. They are cheaper than the Mediterranean excursions but more than the Carribean. It depends on what you choose to do.
One nice thing about Alaska is that you can easily walk into, and all around the town at each port!
If you choose to go by helicopter up to the glacier to go dog mushing it will be expensive....but you can also go to the sled dog summer camp where you can mush on land for way cheaper. You can also go on adventure excursions where you canoe up to a glacier. I don't remember prices but they are on site.
Check out the DCL site!

SixBits
08-01-2012, 08:00 AM
We Loved the White Pass Rail train ride in Skagway. The scenery was Amazing. A great way to see Alaska!

DisneyFr33k
09-08-2012, 06:48 AM
We went on the first Alaskan cruise back in May of 2011. We decided not to pay the money for tours, but venture out on our own at each port. We rented cars and asked locals where to go for the best food and things to do. It was so much fun and we don't regret those experiences at all. We drove to the Mendenall glacier before all the tour buses got there and had the place pretty much all to ourselves. By the time we were done, the tour buses came and it was very crowded. We then went to a hole-in-the-wall type place to eat (recommened by the car rental lady) and at lunch. The BEST fish we've ever eaten -- just melted in our mouths. In Skagway, we rented a car and drove the Klondike Hwy into British Columbia and again, found ourselves alone in the vast beauty of the amazing scenery. We stoped at customs (a tiny shack) and talked with the person there a while and took pictures of us at the sign saying "Welcome to Alaska".

If we go back, we would do the exact same thing again. Venturing out on our own was the best experience ever. If you want more info, just PM me!