PDA

View Full Version : Would you take a parasol to Disney?

Hull-onian
07-08-2012, 04:20 PM
Is it worth it to take a parasol? We are bringing poncho's,hats and plenty of sun block. Do you ever see anyone with a parasol? Thanks

faline
07-08-2012, 04:23 PM
Do you mean to keep the sun off? I occasionally see folks with parasols which, for some reason, I think of differently than umbrellas - to keep the rain off. And, yes, we do bring umbrellas with us when we go to Disney - prefer them to ponchos. Plus, I've never met a poncho that my husband can get out of without destroying in the process!

Aurora
07-08-2012, 04:40 PM
I used an umbrella for the sun several years ago when it was July and we were at Hollywood Studios. The high temps were 98-100 and there is a LOT of hot concrete at DHS. The umbrella helped.

SBETigg
07-08-2012, 06:16 PM
I wouldn't bring one, but I wouldn't discount the idea of buying one and using it there. I prefer to have my hands free and choose hats over parasols but if you are so inclined, I would say why not? It's very good sun protection.

Also consider the water spray fan devices. You can buy smaller and less expensive ones than the ones they sell at Disney, and they help with the heat, too. Some people prefer the bandana style neck wraps that you can soak in ice water. You see all kinds of things at Disney in the heat. Whatever helps.

MNNHFLTX
07-08-2012, 06:17 PM
I have definitely seen people carrying umbrellas and parasols for shade at WDW. Personally, if I was going to carry one for shade I would want to make sure it could double for rain too.

Hull-onian
07-08-2012, 06:29 PM
Thank you, I'm concerned about getting sun burned. But we will make the best of it.:mickey:

gerald72
07-08-2012, 08:43 PM
I saw a parasol once....in 1932!

PETE FROM NYC
07-08-2012, 11:58 PM
My Grandmother used an umbrella as a parasol many times when she went.

BrerGnat
07-09-2012, 07:57 AM
I'd just bring a lightweight compact travel umbrella and use it for the sun protection as needed. Just make sure it's not black. A lighter color will reflect the sun better, keeping you cooler underneath.

Mickey'sGirl
07-09-2012, 08:08 AM
My Mom always used one on the back of her wheelchair. If it will make your trip more enjoyable, then you should definitely use one. :thumbsup:

figgie
07-09-2012, 09:01 AM
People use parasols at WDW all the time, but just one caution.....Please watch out for the people around you! I have seen a lady with one, well, really an unbrella, poke someone in the eye because she was just not aware of all the people around her. They can be really dangerous in a crowd! I have also observed someone using one in the bleachers at the Cars show at DHS. It made it hard for the people behind her to see the show and she caused quite a scene when a CM asked her politely to put it down.

Wolf
07-09-2012, 10:46 AM
I probably wouldn't because I don't like to have my hands full but if you were already in the habit of it or just liked the idea I'd say go for it, I tend to wear a hat and carry a backpack to avoid holding anything at all but to each their own, I'm just not a fan of carrying things at all times in life not just at WDW

mickeys_princess_mom
07-09-2012, 12:25 PM
I was considering it myself--we've never gone in July before, but I think it would bug me, and someone had a very good point about it being a possible hazard to those around you. I am planning the next best thing--my straw cowboy hat, and I've even talked DH into wearing one, too! I find it really helps! :wave:

joonyer
07-09-2012, 12:32 PM
For sun protection, I usually take a wide brimmed, foldable/crushable hat. Easy to pack and take off and also to stuff into pockets on the wild/thrill rides. I don't worry about how my hair looks though. ;)

MNNHFLTX
07-09-2012, 01:44 PM
I have also observed someone using one in the bleachers at the Cars show at DHS. It made it hard for the people behind her to see the show and she caused quite a scene when a CM asked her politely to put it down.
A very good point that should also be applied to mouse ears, hats and other paraphernalia that might block someone vision behind you. :thumbsup:

PAYROLL PRINCESS
07-15-2012, 08:31 PM
They do have smaller sized umbrellas. My sister has used one on a regular basis because she's had malignant melanoma. Just make sure if you do use one, that it's a light colored one so it reflects the sun rather than absorbing it.