PDA

View Full Version : Planning to go the last week in August

Hull-onian
07-07-2012, 12:10 PM
We are going the last week in August. I guess it's a busy week in Disney World. We have never been to Florida in the summer. Can we expect hotter than average temperatures? Is it best to do the parks in the evening? We are not doing everything but we do want to enjoy it. Any advice????

faline
07-07-2012, 01:00 PM
You can expect it to be hot and humid. Whether or not it will be hotter than average, no-one can say at this point - or are you comparing to average in another location?

When we've gone in hot weather months, we typically will go to the parks in the morning, have a nice table service lunch (in an air conditioned location), return to our resort for some swimming or resting and then head back out to the parks in the evening. Dinner is often snacks or appetizers if we've had a large lunch.

You can also expect thundershowers which occur most every afternoon in the summer - not all locations get one but, when one hits, they can be quite intense with heavy downpours. Be sure to seek shelter in lightening storms. Most of these storms, though, do not last very long.

Itchy
07-07-2012, 01:14 PM
I have gone alot the last week of August and the crowds were really light. We were able to walk into most rides with little wait.

The next week we like is the week of labor day as the crowds are about the same.

As te previous poster said rain is something to watch as well as an ever so often tropical storm.

Enjoy..
Hope this helps..:mickey:

Pirate Granny
07-07-2012, 02:07 PM
We lived in our rain poncho's. Had a good time, but it rained, rained, rained...only got to the pool in the afternoon once in six days, due to rain, all afternoon. Did get to pool in the evening...we stayed at AKL that trip and spent lots of time on buses...loved the resort, didn't like the counter service and small size of available tables...we weren't in a DVC room.

mrte62
07-07-2012, 02:35 PM
Itchy is right on target. We did the last week or two in August three times. Schools in NJ did not start until after Labor Day, so it was a good time to go. Lots of folks from the northeast because school was not in session.

It was hot, the crowds were light and quick passing showers. You know the drill - be there for the rope drop and back swimming at the hotel by 1 o'clock, then back at night.

We really had good trips even with the heat.

SBETigg
07-07-2012, 04:16 PM
August is incredibly hot and humid with some occasional stormy weather, as others have said. Our August plan is much like Linda(Faline)'s. We head out early in the morning, enjoy some park time before it hits the hottest part of the day, then take a long afternoon break and plan our biggest meal for midday. We'll relax awhile afterwards, maybe swim or enjoy some resort time, then head back to the parks for the evening hours.

Crowds are usually not bad later in August. Stay hydrated and remember to protect yourself from the sun, and it's not terrible. Though, my husband thinks it is too hot and wants to avoid August from now on.

ibelieveindisneymagic
07-07-2012, 06:12 PM
We've been the last week of August a couple of times, and it isn't a bad time to visit at all!

Really, just to echo what everyone has already said, crowds will be lighter than the rest of the summer, but the heat and humidity will be CRAZY!! I can't stress enough how important it is to stay cool, take advantage of air-conditioning, drink lots and enjoy those disney pools.

We actually found a mid-afternoon break very frustrating, as it would be stormy when we wanted to swim!

However, we did love the late-night swims. The biggest tip for us was to walk through air conditioning (such as stores) when possible so we never got overheated.

Hull-onian
07-08-2012, 04:17 PM
Those tips are really helpful. My dtr and grndtr are really excited about going, so the time of year doesn't bother them. I called my sister-in-law Cindy, and she will be there the day we get in. We made plans to see my dear brother Victor, and their two boys. I didn't tell my dtr yet, it's a surprise. Victor is her favorite Uncle. She will truly be surprised. We are meeting at the Rainforest Cafe in Dwntwn Disney, and it's my birthday. It will be the first time ever, that Victor has celebrated my birthday. I'm so looking forward to it.