PDA

View Full Version : Packing tips for a toddler

faberj
07-05-2012, 01:40 PM
This is our first big trip with our DS 2 and wondering what others have packed or shipped down ahead of time.

Disposable Placemats and Disposable Changing pads are these useful??

faline
07-05-2012, 01:50 PM
The only tip I can provide is one I've read here on Intercot a number of times - many have reported that they put each day's outfit into a separate plastic bag - grab the bag and you have all the elements you need to dress your little one that day.

January-2007
07-05-2012, 02:35 PM
Yeah, packing the outfits in ziploc bags are great. We bought the disposable placemats and brought them with us but never ended up using them. Bringing some kind of little light that they can hold on darker rides helps them not to be as afraid. We brought our regular travel changing pad and also some pull up diapers for even faster on the go changing. Always having DS's favorite snacks came in handy because he almost never wanted anything to do with the restaurant meals we got for him. A fig newton and applesauce and he was happy. Also bringing the travel dvd player with his favorite shows at home helped him calm down for naps and not feel as out of place in a hotel room. And of course juice box holders are great. DS went at around 7 months and just over 2 and still talks about it. We're looking forward to bringing him again next year when he's 3. Happy planning!

Kairi_7378
07-05-2012, 08:21 PM
I would second the idea of taking his favorite snacks, and some small containers to put them in. (I take bags of Goldfish and sort them into 1-cup tupperware.) I also take cereal bars and small containers of cereal, so he doesn't get bored with the Goldfish. We also brought some small (surprise) toys for him to play with at the hotel room- little cars and whatnot. It was the way that we were able to give him some unstructured time to play.

clarkee
07-05-2012, 09:10 PM
We have taken our girls for a number of years since they were five months. There are a number of things I would not leave at home when travelling with a toddler. We love the disposable bibs for meal times. We bought straps to clip on to the stroller to hold drink and snack cups. Babies R Us sells these velcro straps and then you just take the cups and drinks on and off to wash and fill. The umbrella stroller with a basket underneath is a must. Disposable swimmers are a must if you are going in hot weather. Also at Babies R Us they sell sunscreen towels (like large wetnaps) that are perfect for carryon luggage or a day in the part and they are 45+. I also carry small plastic forks and spoons in a ziploc bag. If your child is big enough to use these at meal time I find mine are more comfortable with their familiar smaller cutlery. Plastic take out ones are fine for 4 year olds. I like the washable coloured ones for kids who are younger. I always bring my own sheets, pack and play blankets etc. for the hotel room. For children too old for pack and play but too young for a bed, I bring an inflatable boat like you use in the pool. It is the right size, has sides to keep toddlers in and provides some inflated comfort for sleeping. I hope this helps and have a great time.

mommy2maddi
07-06-2012, 12:20 AM
The only tip I can provide is one I've read here on Intercot a number of times - many have reported that they put each day's outfit into a separate plastic bag - grab the bag and you have all the elements you need to dress your little one that day.

This is the best tip ever! I will be using it on our next trip. Anything yo save time and stress is helpful.

mom2morgan
07-06-2012, 12:34 AM
For children too old for pack and play but too young for a bed, I bring an inflatable boat like you use in the pool. It is the right size, has sides to keep toddlers in and provides some inflated comfort for sleeping. I hope this helps and have a great time.

What a TERRIFIC idea! We always used an air mattress for our little one, and she never stayed on it - ended up on the floor every single time, and was at risk for getting stepped on ;-)

kakn7294
07-06-2012, 02:13 AM
Ditto on the snacks! If you don't want to pack them in your bags or send them in advance and won't have a car, consider using a grocery delivery service to deliver to your resort. They also have a large selection of baby needs - diapers, wipes, foods, etc.

We always tried to pack mix-and-match clothing so that when we had a spill or accident, we could change one part of the outfit without changing the entire outfit. If you pack your own diapers in your suitcase, you will have room for souvenirs when your supply dwindles.

AgentC
07-06-2012, 05:56 AM
You have already gotten a lot of great advice. I think a regular changing mat is better than the disposables. I found it worked better to wipe down. If you use the Baby Centers they will have disposables there and you won't even need your pad.

Sunscreen wipes are a great idea. I also always brought snacks and special drinks. My daughter is a chocolate milk addict so I would always bring a case of the Nesquick milk that did not need to be refrigerated.

I'd also suggested bringing a full assortment of medicine/ first aid items. On one of our trips my son developed a fever in the middle of the night & I had to wait until morning to buy children's medicine. Since then I always bring it and haven't had to use it once.:D

I also used to bring a few stuffed animals, toys and a special blanket.

Have a great trip. I loved taking my kids as toddlers