PDA

View Full Version : GF, WL or Poly

Catzle
07-03-2012, 03:57 PM
We are heading to a short trip in Dec to see the christmas show at MK and the reading at Epcot and the Osborne lights.

We are not sure where to stay, WL, Poly, or GF, need lots of opinions!!

Thanks

VWL Mom
07-03-2012, 04:09 PM
I don't think you'd go wrong with any of them. I love WL but lately the discounts there have only been 5% while GF has been 30% and Poly 20%. For us, quick trips come down to price. We're staying at Poly for the first time in August because with the discount it comes out to the same as WL.

That aside, the Gingerbread House at GF is amazing and the decor at WL is so warm and cozy during Christmas time so for me it would be a tough decision between those two.

DebK
07-03-2012, 04:31 PM
You know I am a GF gal.....

Mackflava99
07-03-2012, 05:38 PM
Wilderness Lodge - its by far the most fun resort. While I also love the Poly- the WL really feels like the holidays

mydisneygirls
07-03-2012, 05:49 PM
While the Poly is my favorite resort, I'd have to say WL, GF and then Poly. Was not impressed with the Christmas decoration at the Poly...did not compare to WL or GF.

A Big Kid
07-03-2012, 06:03 PM
WL - great theming. Beautiful during Christmas. It's out of the way but some people view that as an asset. You can access the lobby area and restaurants from the rooms without having to go outside.

GF - I've never stayed there, although we visit every trip. It's the flagship hotel, so what else needs to be said.

Poly - my choice of the three, mainly because of transportation. Options to the MK include the monorail from the GCH. If you are in the southern buildings, a walk to the TTC is closer than the GCH and you can catch a ferry or monorail to the MK. There is also monorail access to EPCOT.

Belle of the Ball 051411
07-03-2012, 06:14 PM
GF or WL!

faline
07-03-2012, 06:26 PM
They're all terrific resorts! You can't go wrong with any of them.

Although the Poly is my favorite resort, if I were going at Christmastime as you are, I'd probably select either the Grand Floridian or the Wilderness Lodge both of which have wonderful holiday trees and decorations. The Poly's holiday decorations are much more subtle.

Imalismom
07-03-2012, 06:29 PM
I vote for WL - but also echo the fact that WL is not giving the discounts as the others are.

For a quick trip, I'd stay where you can get the best price for the room that you want to stay in.

(For me, that ended up being the YC in August for my 2 day stay - although my heart belongs to WL)

buzznwoodysmom
07-03-2012, 07:07 PM
My vote is for WL. To me there is no other resort that can compare with WL around the holidays!! We love WL anytime of the year, but it's at it's best around the holidays.

As much as we also love the Poly, I agree with another poster, it's not really impessive at the holidays. GF would be my second pick for the holidays out of the resorts you listed.

Tinkerbella16
07-05-2012, 12:56 PM
I would say the Wilderness Lodge.. especially since you are going for the Christmas festivities. WL is the most beautiful resort on property during that time of the year. I really just love going there to take it all in and sit in the lobby. :mickey:

Tigerinvestigator
07-05-2012, 01:34 PM
Like others are saying you can't really go wrong with any of them. I would always choose the Poly first as it is my favorite resort at WDW. You can't beat the relaxing atmosphere and monorail service. I would choose GF second also because of the monorail, but it is not quite as relaxing as the tropical scenery at the Poly. The WL is a great resort and beautiful, but sometimes the transportation is not the best. You do feel like you are a million miles from the hustle and bustle of the parks though. We like all three but give the edge in every category of Atmosphere, transportation, Food, and convenience to the POLYNESIAN.:thumbsup:

Mickey'sGirl
07-05-2012, 02:06 PM
The Wilderness Lodge is the only Disney Resort I have disliked, and we stayed there over New Year's in 2007. Although the decorations etc were beautiful, there was absolutely nothing festive going on at the hotel. Based on where you have stayed in the past (lots of Poly in your signature line), I would be tempted to stay at the Grand Floridian. It would be a different experience for you, and it is also so wonderfully decorated for the season.

DisneyDINK
07-05-2012, 03:47 PM
Having stayed at all three (I usually can't say that) I echo previous sentiments by saying they are all pretty good.

If you would like to save a bit of money I would go with the WL. Even net of discounts the Poly and GF will be more, especially if you want a view or club level.

If money isn't much of a concern I'd probably go with the Poly. Boat or monorail is a quick trip to the MK and the TTC is an easy walk for fast access to Epcot. Like others have said, the place is just relaxing.

The GF is a nice option too. You're going to have to visit there at least once anyway. It would be kinda cool to see the big giggerbread house each time you came and went.