PDA

View Full Version : Homeless man lives good life at Disney-area hotels before arrest

brownie
07-02-2012, 01:52 PM
From USA Today (July 1, 2012):

A 30-year-old homeless man recently lived it up at a Walt Disney World-area resort, racking up a tab of about $3,000 on a previous guest's credit card before getting caught, reports local TV station WFTV Channel 9.

And it turns out, investigators believe he's done it before at other local luxury hotels.

WFTV broke the story - now spreading across the Internet - that a man identified as David Price was arrested Saturday at the Hard Rock Hotel at Universal Orlando Resort and charged with grand theft.

Disney investigators are now looking into incidents at Disney-owned hotels, the story says.

The man was jailed for "sneaking into a hotel room and claiming he was the room's previous guest, then using the credit card on file to rack up thousands of dollars in charges," the story says, citing court papers.

How did the scheme work?

The man found his way into a guest room after a guest checked out, the court papers also say. He then called the front desk "and said he was that person," and said he was staying longer, the story says, citing court papers.

At that point, the spending spree began.

Hotel management caught wind of the scam because the actual guest who'd checked out was an employee who'd left Florida after attending a conference, the article says.

WFTV says staffers entered the room and found items from the nearby Peabody Hotel. A call to the hotel revealed that they were aware of the scheme. And "it appears Price did the same thing at the Ritz-Carlton, Grand Cypress and Loews Portofino Bay at Universal, court papers say."

The strategy apparently worked as early as 2010. WFTV had requested police reports from the Orlando Police Department and found Price used it in 2010, too. That time, the story says, he spent nearly $9,000 at the Portofino Bay by using an Ohio man's credit card. WFTV quotes the victim:

"I don't know how he got in my room, how he got my debit card. But he got like the best wines, the best restaurants, room service. He bought clothes and the whole ball of wax," said Joseph Barak, who was visiting Orlando from Poland, Ohio.

I'm not sure why the title says Disney-area hotels since most of the hotels known to be involved are outside of Disney.

SBETigg
07-02-2012, 02:30 PM
It's quite a scam and I am sorry for the people who suffered from his fraud. I'm glad they caught him and this man needs to pay for his crimes. At the same time, the fiction writer in me is thinking "wow, that's clever," and "what an adventure!"

I think they used Disney in the article because the name makes people pay attention.

TinkerbellT421
07-02-2012, 05:12 PM
From USA Today (July 1, 2012):

I'm not sure why the title says Disney-area hotels since most of the hotels known to be involved are outside of Disney.

I was thinking the same exact thing, especially when they said Disney area hotel and then in the next sentence say he got caught at universal hotel. Lol.

Wow. And of course him being homeless I don't see him reimbursing anyone. Hopefully these people didn't have to pay due to them being fraudulent charges. I mean, I feel bad tha he's homeless, but to do that to people is just wrong. Being homeless doesn't excuse him from being ignorant and doing this to innocent people.

Scar
07-02-2012, 05:27 PM
Doesn't Vivendi own both USA Today and Universal?

BriarRose0708
07-03-2012, 11:40 AM
It's quite a scam and I am sorry for the people who suffered from his fraud. I'm glad they caught him and this man needs to pay for his crimes. At the same time, the fiction writer in me is thinking "wow, that's clever," and "what an adventure!"

I think they used Disney in the article because the name makes people pay attention.

Sherri, I would definitely buy that book if you wrote it!!

waymickey
07-03-2012, 05:00 PM
Maybe hotels should request someone who extends their vacation to come to the front desk and maybe sign for extra days or something. I don't know if this would help but it may keep another family from getting ripped off now that the papers pretty much spelled out how to do this.

Also why didn't the hotel figure this out when the original visitors left and their bill was paid?

LudwigVonDrake
07-07-2012, 06:53 PM
Also why didn't the hotel figure this out when the original visitors left and their bill was paid?

I was thinking the same thing.

ValenciaCalling
09-05-2012, 03:56 PM

I was thinking the exact same thing! As horrified as I am by this happening, if I was in his shoes, I probably would have done the same thing...haha