Cast of Characters:
TikiG, 39, got my first AP this year and have three trips planned
DH, 44, goes along with it all because it makes his girls happy
DD9, all around Pokemon and anything science fan
DD7, budding fashionista, drama queen, and sweetness rolled into one

When:

Mid-July, 5 days in Tampa
6 days at WDW

Yes, it’s that time of year again. We’re planning our annual trip to Florida! It’s been a busy year… I went back to teaching full time after years of working 4 days a week. While it doesn’t sound like much of a change (it’s only one day a week, right?), it was a major adjustment for me and my family. I’m still not sure I like it, but it does have some perks. Namely no guilt spending a few extra dollars to stay Club Level.

Monday, July 16 – Friday, July 20:
So after a few weeks of swim lessons, summer camp, and decluttering the house, we will be heading down to MCO, leaving from Hartford, CT. We’re flying into MCO rather than TPA because the flights were cheaper. It also makes it easier to fly back home – more time to spend in Disney… :)

We’ll spend 4.5 days at my in-law’s house in Seminole. Pool time, beach, dinners out, Rays-Indians game one night, and our annual trek to the Lowry Park Zoo. Nothing different than previous years, but you know what? I’m perfectly okay with that. We may throw in a visit to the Clearwater Marine Aquarium. If you have any other suggestions on what to do in the St. Pete/Tampa area, please feel free to comment.

Saturday, July 21 – Thursday, July 26:

Disney World. Six glorious days at Disney World. We were going to stay at Beach Club this year – until 60 days out from the trip. Then I looked at my husband and said, it’s not that much more to stay at AKL club level… and that was the end of the Beach Club. Beach Club looks like a really nice resort and we were totally psyched about the pool, the location, and trying a new hotel. But… we stayed at AKL last year and just LOVED it. Having the lounge available is key for us. It makes it so easy to feed the ever-growing-and-unpredictable-appetites of my children… and having breakfast ready for us in the morning? We actually get to park opening.

I am going totally against my planning/spreadsheet-making/ADR personality. This year we have only one day planned out – arrival day. And even that may change on the drive from Tampa to Orlando. Instead, I broke the trip down to what we can do on any random morning, and where we might go in the evening. We will avoid EMH mornings (because we won’t get there in time) and EMH evenings (the girls won’t make it past 10pm).

Mornings:

Magic Kingdom (arrival day / lunch ADR at Plaza Restaurant)
Epcot
DTD for lunch or resort pool day
Magic Kingdom (Tuesday or Wednesday for Crystal Palace breakfast)
Studios
Typhoon Lagoon

Evenings:
Epcot (possibly Illuminations)
Magic Kingdom (parade)
Animal Kingdom
Dinner at Kona (on resort day or Water Park day)
Free evening (resort or dinner somewhere)
Airport on last evening

By making only 2 ADRs, we have thus rendered our plans quiet flexible. We can wake up in the morning, decide what we’re in the mood for, and make a plan for the day. Kona and the DTD restaurants are easy enough to book on the same day (or if it’s booked, we’ll go somewhere else). Otherwise we plan on doing counter service or eating at the resort.

I’m hoping to try some new things this year with the girls: Carousel of Progress, Backlot Tour, the new Dumbo, and especially the new Phineas and Ferb adventure in WS. We may even torture them with Hall of Presidents, and maybe have them taste Beverly. I have big plans to finally catch the golf ball in Soarin’ this year.

Thanks for reading!
Kathy

princessgirls
07-02-2012, 11:34 AM
You have a great trip planned Kathy!

Enjoy it!!!

Julie:mickey:

buzznwoodysmom
07-02-2012, 11:57 AM
You plans sound wonderful. I hope you like being able to come and go as you please without having to worry about ADRs. We are headed to WDW at the end of July and we've only made 2 ADRs as well. I am so thrilled about not being tied down to a schedule!

faline
07-02-2012, 06:32 PM
Don't you just love the feeling of being totally flexible? We did that on our last trip and it worked out really well. Partly, I wasn't so sure I wanted to be locked into restaurants that would charge me money to cancel my reservations (which I ALWAYS did in the past if we decided not to keep one) and partly I just wanted to see how it would work out by not making reservations in advance (Worked fine - by the way!)

Plus, if you're staying club level, most evenings they'll have something you can make a meal out of if you don't feel like heading to a restaurant!!

Mickey'sGirl
07-03-2012, 09:02 AM
Just Awesome! We went flexible last year, and it was fabulous ... we are even more so this year!

I hope you have a great holiday at the resort you love! :thumbsup:

BriarRose0708
07-03-2012, 10:00 AM
Kathy, your plans sound awesome for a well deserved vacation! Hope you have a blast, and I'll see you in October!

emerzmom
07-03-2012, 05:28 PM
My favorite thing to hear on a WDW morning: "what park do you want to go to today?"....I love just waking up and picking the park that feels right for that day.
Your trip sounds wonderful and AKL Club...WOW!
:mickey:
Julie

disney obsessed
07-04-2012, 05:37 PM
While in st Pete beach, go to Verduccis. The best Italian resteraunt in the world.

January-2007
07-04-2012, 07:41 PM
Hope you have a wonderful time!

RedSoxFan
07-04-2012, 09:24 PM
Love AKL. Have a great time.:mickey:

Tigerinvestigator
07-05-2012, 01:39 PM
We will be neighbors!! Never mind I see you moved on us to the AKL. We arrive at the Dolphin on July 23rd for 7 nights. We have three DD's 15, 11, and 8. Maybe we will run into you guys. Have a great trip.:thumbsup:

MizMissy
07-07-2012, 11:35 AM
Sounds like such a wonderful trip you have "non" planned!! Have a great time.

I would love to be able to back off of overplanning. On our last Disney trip, I felt we accomplished less because of all the ADRs (and crowds). If the kids and I traveled alone, we could go with no ADRs except for something special they chose. However, traveling with DH - he likes to eat well on trips and not being able to get in to places or longer waits because of no ADRs would put a damper on the trip. Oh well, nice problem to have in theory since I have no trip in the foreseeable future.

Dopey's Girl
07-09-2012, 10:51 PM
How great! I love flexable trips. So much fun!

TikiGoddess
07-27-2012, 12:34 PM
We're back! The trip went great. Some bumps in the road, but my DD9 said, "This was the most magical trip ever!"

Trip report coming as soon as I recover from our last day and get the laundry done. ;)

Kathy

SBETigg
07-27-2012, 12:37 PM
Sounds like a great trip report ahead! I plan out less and less with every vacation.

faline
07-27-2012, 12:56 PM
We're back! The trip went great. Some bumps in the road, but my DD9 said, "This was the most magical trip ever!"

Trip report coming as soon as I recover from our last day and get the laundry done. ;)

Kathy

Welcome back! Glad to hear it was a good one and I look forward to reading the details!

yourmagicalguide
07-27-2012, 03:22 PM
Sounds like a great trip! A very relaxed and go-with-the-flow attitude can make your vacation all the more enjoyable :thumbsup:

Mousefever
08-02-2012, 07:38 PM

Kathy

:wait::wait::wait: I never claimed to be patient!

Amy

DizNee143
08-06-2012, 07:09 AM
Sounds like its going to be a great trip! :mickey:

vizsla
08-07-2012, 04:37 AM
Thanks for the report.