PDA

View Full Version : Boma or Ohana...? With allergies?

CanadaLovesDisney
06-30-2012, 07:49 PM
We are considering dining at boma or ohana. First off which is better?

Side note: We have someone with a peanut, tree nuts, sesame (and their oils) allergy. Has anyone dined there and had a good experience in terms of allergies?

disneydeb
06-30-2012, 08:23 PM
We love both, I enjoy Boma more, but the rest of my family prefer Ohana.

Ohana serves a peanut sauce which is delicious.
Boma is an enormous buffet, I imagine some offerings have nuts or nut oils in them. Ask your server or call Disney Dining for specific information before you make your reservations.

Enjoy!

SBETigg
07-01-2012, 01:15 AM
Both are great, and both have chefs that will walk you through offered foods and detail what is safe and what isn't for allergies. Disney restaurants are great about such things. I love 'Ohana for the family-style meal and Polynesian atmosphere. I love Boma for the food and all the new things to try plus the AKL atmosphere. Hard to say which is a better choice, because I love them both. Good luck!

disneynarula
07-01-2012, 09:08 AM
My son has peanut, milk, and egg allergies. We had a wonderful experience at Boma. The chef came and walked us through the line and let us know what was "safe" and what was not. He even volunteered to bring us fresh food right from the kitchen if our allergies were severe.

I like Boma better because of the variety of food. It is not your standard buffet. I can't say enough nice things about it. We have a vegetarian in our group and while I know they will fix something at 'Ohana for her there was a huge selection at Boma. The price of 'Ohana was just too much for what the vegetarian options were.

In general we have had all postitive experiences at WDW with food allergies. I am sure you will have a great experience with whatever you choose.

ElenitaB
07-01-2012, 03:14 PM
In terms of not only accomdating diners with allergies or other dietary restrictions but providing them with memorable meals, both Boma and 'Ohana have benefitted greatly from the expertise brought by Chef TJ (he started at Boma and then spent years at 'Ohana). He is currently at 1900 Park Fare, which I know is not one of the restaurants you're asking about. However, if you're looking at adding another ADR, you might consider it.

disneynarula
07-01-2012, 03:30 PM
There are some websites that offer reviews of almost all the TS and QS at WDW and how they deal with food allergies. It's well worth a google search!

LandFan
07-02-2012, 05:54 PM
BOMA!! Yum!!

CanadaLovesDisney
07-05-2012, 12:42 PM
Why thank you for all of the great responses!

Very much appreciated :mickey:

TracyL
07-05-2012, 04:08 PM
I agree that Boma is fantastic. if the allergies are super severe, just do be very careful there. A LOT of traditional African dishes have peanuts, nuts, seeds etc. in them.

That said, Disney has to be about the best place on earth to eat if you have a food allergy. I was having some trouble for a few years with a serious sensitivity to rosemary, which is one of those insidious herbs that shows up in everything. We went to Garden Grill at Epcot one night, and the chef said "oh, you're in trouble! We put rosemary in everything!" -- then proceeded to bring me my very own personal feast (seriously, about three people's worth of food), 100% rosemary-free.

I wouldn't leave the epi-pen at home, but Disney will do everything in their considerable power to make sure you have a great vacation and stay healthy the whole time. Have a magical trip!

Tigerinvestigator
07-05-2012, 04:38 PM
I really like both but prefer Ohana. If you check your MK firework times and get an ADR just before the fireworks it is spectacular. They lower the lights in Ohana, and you have a great view of the castle and fireworks. The food is great at both places. If you work the allergy issue out I don't think you can go wrong with either.:thumbsup:

LVT
07-16-2012, 06:00 PM
I have done both, Boma was better.
Boma has many dishes compared to Ohana.
At Ohana the emphasis is on quantity, there are not that many different dishes.
Most of the table service places send a chef. There are so many ingredients that it does take some knowledge.