PDA

View Full Version : hernia

gratuspater
06-30-2012, 12:49 PM
Anyone ever had inguinal hernia surgery? If so I'm just wondering how long it takes for the pain to subside. I'm 2 weeks post op, on a bilateral surgery, right side feels fine, left side still hurts/aches in groin area. Left side was true hernia, while right side was sports hernia. If anyone has any feedback it would be greatly appreciated, as it is very depressing not being able to play with my boys, (5 and 7), I feel like I'm missing their whole summer, and I'm just praying that this pain will go away, so I can get back to enjoying life. Saw the Doc 5 days ago and he says everything looks normal, but I'm still worried this pain won't go away before I must return to work, and I can't stand the thought of anything compromising my families security. Again any info would be greatly appreciated.

mmouse21074
06-30-2012, 03:57 PM
I've had two hernia surgeries about a year apart. It took about 3 weeks for the true discomfort to subside, 8 weeks to feel pretty much normal as far as far as having minimal discomfort to none at all. Due to my working in construction the surgeon held me out of work for 8 weeks of recovery. Had I a more sedentary job he would have allowed me to return at 2-4 weeks post-op. I agree, it stinks to feel that way and not be able to do much, especially having small children. Hope you're felling better soon.

gratuspater
06-30-2012, 04:25 PM
I've had two hernia surgeries about a year apart. It took about 3 weeks for the true discomfort to subside, 8 weeks to feel pretty much normal as far as far as having minimal discomfort to none at all. Due to my working in construction the surgeon held me out of work for 8 weeks of recovery. Had I a more sedentary job he would have allowed me to return at 2-4 weeks post-op. I agree, it stinks to feel that way and not be able to do much, especially having small children. Hope you're felling better soon.

Thanks for the post, it gives me hope that what I'm feeling is normal.

Reedy Creek Buccaneer
06-30-2012, 05:46 PM
Takes at least 3 weeks. Should feel good as new in about 6.

mgmnut
07-01-2012, 02:21 AM
I had laproscopic done last Oct, it was about 2 weeks for most discomfort to go away but a good 3 -4 to feel back to normal.

garymacd
07-02-2012, 01:15 PM
I also had laproscopic repair of an inguinal hernia. I was back to work in two weeks. That first week was pure aitch, eee, double hockey sticks. After that, I felt fine for the most part. There were occasional twinges here and there that lasted some time.

I actually had to go see a doctor before I was allowed back to work. I already had a note from the surgeon who agreed I was fit for duty, but I had to go see some doctor I had never seen before who had no idea what my job entailed.

He came in with a coffee and asked if I was fit for duty. I picked this 200 lb overweight guy up in a firefighter's carry and asked him if I was fit for duty.

I went back to work that night.

I hope you feel better soon. Most non-laproscopic hernia repairs take a good six weeks before you can get back to work. Don't rush back. You might do yourself more damage than taking the time.

gratuspater
07-06-2012, 12:45 PM
Thanks for all the replies! I'm about 3 weeks post op, pain isn't near as bad but still pretty noticeable. Hopefully just sore muscles. I do have a pretty hard time just sitting around, it drives me INSANE, and not being able to play with my boys and take them on bike rides is heart breaking!! But from the posts, it seems like 3 - 4 weeks of discomfort is pretty normal, so I'll try not to worry just yet. Again thanks for all replies!:)