PDA

View Full Version : Norwegian Epic in the Med - Day 6/8

Zawadi
06-30-2012, 04:34 AM
Friday 22 June 2012
This was another 0630 breakfast in our cabin as we sailed into Cannes, France. Here, the Norwegian Epic at 340m (1100ft) long and a draught of nearly 30ft, is too big to moor in Cannes so it dropped anchor and used tender boats to take us ashore. We had booked a 3 hour walking tour of the town which, for me, provided too much free a.k.a. shopping time. The two most notable sights were the location of the film festival and the iron mask of Louis XIV's famous prisoner.

Personally we were not impressed with Cannes. We opted for the walking tour since the out of town tours did not appeal to us.

We returned to the ship for lunch in our usual spot then an afternoon by the Haven's private pool. Much more enjoyable.

Tonight's meal was in the Spiegel Tent. We paid $35 each for the premium (ringside) seats. Standard seats were $25. Our concierge status got us into the venue first with the prime seats. This is a fixed menu meal, but options are available for allergies, Kosher etc. The 16 members of Cirque put on an amazing non stop show whist the servers went about their work and participated in the show as well. If you go on the Epic pre book this meal. Acts...

Guy, looked like Uncle Fester (Adams) as played by Christopher Lloyd, who balanced items on the blade of dagger held in his mouth. He balanced a 4ft sword, tip to tip, whilst being rotated full circle, in a Catherine Wheel device.
Slack Rope walker.
Two guys balancing on a balance board place on top of a cylinder acting as pivot.
A couple (man & woman) of roller skaters
A couple (man & woman) ariel artists (single trapeze and curtains). It was different to see the woman occassionally taking on the "strength" role.

It's hard to remember to eat whilst watching, in awe, the skill of the performers. This is definitely a meal to book to avoid disappointment.

After the show we walked around the ship to wrap up the onboard video footage before retiring in readiness for our last port of call, Marseille.

marlyn
06-30-2012, 11:05 PM
I'm looking forward to the cirque dinner show. Is it worth the extra $10 for the premium seats?

I was a bit underwhelmed with the choices of shore excursions for the french ports. I picked them and hope they will be good.

Sounds like a relaxing day!

Zawadi
07-01-2012, 04:00 AM
I'm looking forward to the cirque dinner show. Is it worth the extra $10 for the premium seats?

I would say yes.
The $35 seats are ringside and at the front of the balcony. The $25 seats are further away from the ring underneath the balcony and your view of the ariel work is restricted. Compared to the cost of the holiday the extra is nothing.

marlyn
07-01-2012, 05:03 PM
Thank you! Premium seats it is!,