PDA

View Full Version : American Pavilion CM Costume Change???

DizneyFreak2002
06-28-2012, 07:30 PM
There is an article on the Orlando Attractions website, written by a Lonnie Hicks, who claims to be a CM at AA... He or she states that their costumes will soon be changing from the colonial costume to a suit, resembling, in his or her words, a flight attendant decked out in red, white, and blue... Epcyclopedia has also picked up on this today... The article is long and I really don't want to copy and paste the whole thing.. Here is the part of importance:

n the near future, we will (unfortunately) no longer portray “Colonial Gentlefolk” and represent hospitable residents of the magnificent Georgian mansion which houses the unique Epcot animatronic theater show known as “The American Adventure” because some Disney executive has decided to take away the appropriate period costumes from the cast members. This arbitrary change (after 30 years) seems like a misguided and ill-informed decision.Instead, we Colonial Folks will wear modern suits and dresses closely resembling air-flight attendants. (Perhaps these uniforms were discarded from the failed Disney/ABC-TV series “Pan Am”?) Yes, the color combination will indeed project a red/white/blue USA color scheme, but the same color comment could also apply to France, Norway and the United Kingdom. Where is the distinct design and style? Current cast members who will be directly affected have negatively expressed their obvious displeasure by labeling the sketches of the proposed costume designs as “hideous” or by using the “thumbs-down” gesture in despair.

Gone will be the classic period theming and atmosphere which has always ranked as a distinguishing hallmark of the various Disney theme parks. Where’s the story, the living narrative, the character, the heritage, the culture, the attention to detail? The popular attraction’s official Operating Guide clearly states that three years of extensive research were used “… to obtain information as complete and as accurate as possible …” from historical experts, libraries and archival resources. Surely these modern uniforms will visually nullify the ambience which the original Disney Imagineers so carefully created and cultivated. Who will be next: the Fife and Drum Corps or the Voices of Liberty? First, can any CMs here on this site confirm this is true???

Second, how do you all feel about this change, if true???

ETA by Moderator: Added pics of proposed costumes here (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showpost.php?p=2278770&postcount=36).

Mousemates
06-28-2012, 07:56 PM
:(

waymickey
06-28-2012, 10:05 PM
:sad:

BrerGnat
06-29-2012, 08:41 AM
Okay, I am probably the lone dissenter, but I never understood those costumes in EPCOT. They make sense in MK, in Liberty Square, but they always seemed out of place in Epcot, to me. Just too "old fashioned."

Although, the description of the new costumes sounds just downright weird. Similar to flight attendant suits? What? :confused:

DizneyFreak2002
06-29-2012, 11:08 AM
The American Adventure is themed to colonial America so the costumes were a perfect fit...

Appears Lonnie Hicks is a real CM, at least according to some elsewhere... And apparently they have seen the new costumes and hate them...

I guess judgment needs to be reserved until the new costumes are made public, but if the Epcot CMs hate them, then I have to think they are hideous...

My question is this: does TDO play a game of Let's See Who Makes the Dumbest Moves??? Erin Youngs, VP of Epcot I guess is trying to win the title next...

Melanie
06-29-2012, 11:34 AM
Well, being a history major and being particularly fond of colonial history, this news is a bit of a downer for me. I think the current costumes are very appropriate. Very interested in seeing the new ones.

DizneyRox
06-29-2012, 11:43 AM
Maybe they are going for an Uncle Sam look? Still, not sure why the change. Unless they are looking to save money on costumes and got sick of the upkeep on all the colonial style ones. The women's costume does look particularly hot for the summer months.

Dulcee
06-29-2012, 11:52 AM
I don't know, I'm another one who didn't get the costumes either.

You can say all you want the pavilion is themed to colonial America but the show covers all American history and the food is stereo-typical American fast food. Maybe if the restaurant was themed as well...

laprana
06-29-2012, 11:54 AM
If this does prove to be true, I hate it already! :ack: I usually try to reserve judgment on something until I've seen it for myself, but this just makes no sense to me.

TheDuckRocks
06-29-2012, 11:55 AM
My guess is once again it's all about the money.

brad192
06-29-2012, 12:50 PM
This will be a total fail. You don't fix what isn't broken.

DizneyFreak2002
06-29-2012, 01:40 PM
Well, it is not just the American Adventure getting costume changes... All the countries represented in World Showcase will be changing costumes... WDI is leading this change over because "guests complain that World Showcase is dated"...

Yep, first thing I thing about when saying WS is dated is CM costumes... Not that Norway was the last pavilion opened or the attractions date back to the 80's/early 90's.... Nope... it is the look of the CM... :bang:

ChipNDale79
06-29-2012, 01:41 PM
I don't know, I'm another one who didn't get the costumes either.

You can say all you want the pavilion is themed to colonial America but the show covers all American history and the food is stereo-typical American fast food. Maybe if the restaurant was themed as well...

Speaking of the food here, I've always thought the American Adventure could have a really great restaurant or something, the food variety here is kind of a joke.

ChipNDale79
06-29-2012, 01:43 PM
Well, it is not just the American Adventure getting costume changes... All the countries represented in World Showcase will be changing costumes... WDI is leading this change over because "guests complain that World Showcase is dated"...

Yep, first think I thing about when saying WS is dated is CM costumes... Not that Norway was the last pavilion opened or the attractions date back to the 80's/early 90's.... Nope... it is the look of the CM... :bang:

I must be the only one that doesnt think the World Showcase is dated, if anything in Epcot is dated, its Futureworld.

To me, its hard to be an "Epcot" kind of day, and when i say that, i mean when the weather is perfect and there is a slight breeze. It just makes me want to stroll through World Showcase in the late evening and just taking in all the music and atmosphere.

DizneyFreak2002
06-29-2012, 01:48 PM
I must be the only one that doesnt think the World Showcase is dated, if anything in Epcot is dated, its Futureworld.

To me, its hard to be an "Epcot" kind of day, and when i say that, i mean when the weather is perfect and there is a slight breeze. It just makes me want to stroll through World Showcase in the late evening and just taking in all the music and atmosphere.

Not completely dated... Though some of the attractions are... And nothing new of substance was added in what, 20 years??? The CM costumes were fine... Update the attractions...

I want to clarify, the countries pavilions are wonderful as they are... And the costumes worn are very appropriate for the theme... Even some of the new costumes that are slowly coming onstage fit the theme of the pavilion... But a "flight attendant look" in AA just screams Soarin to me...

Gator
06-29-2012, 02:33 PM
I hate the idea of the costumes being changed. I like the CMs in clothes that are from famous historical periods of those countries. Germans in leiderhosen, Mexicans in white shirts and tan pants and the ladies in old-Mexico flair, USA in colonial clothes, Japanese in silk robes. Why change that? How about just add an extra attraction or ride in WS? That would be great.

ChipNDale79
06-29-2012, 02:45 PM
I wonder if this will effect the Voices of Liberty as well....to me, that would look extremely odd in anything but what they are wearing.

potzie
06-29-2012, 03:43 PM
If they would like to lose the Lumberjack outfits for the Canada Pavilion I actually wouldn't be sad. I'm sure someone in Canada dresses that way but not anyone I know.

We did get an update to O'Canada a few years ago as well.

Ian
06-29-2012, 04:16 PM
Maybe I'm just not that big a costume guy, but this doesn't really get me all that worked up.

I mean, if the new costumes are lame or ugly or cheap looking then I guess okay it might be a problem, but until I see them I won't pass judgement.

I'm okay with them refreshing things from time to time.

DizneyFreak2002
06-29-2012, 06:20 PM
If they would like to lose the Lumberjack outfits for the Canada Pavilion I actually wouldn't be sad. I'm sure someone in Canada dresses that way but not anyone I know.

We did get an update to O'Canada a few years ago as well.

Canada is getting an update on their costumes.. So is Mexico... And I believe Italy already received theirs, or are in the process of getting them on stage...

Aurora
06-29-2012, 06:25 PM
Maybe I'm just not that big a costume guy, but this doesn't really get me all that worked up.

I mean, if the new costumes are lame or ugly or cheap looking then I guess okay it might be a problem, but until I see them I won't pass judgement.

:ditto:

Does anyone remember what Mickey looked like when WDW opened in 1971? Imagineers spent a lot of time in the detail on that costume too. Viewed through today's eyes, he looked a lot like Eddie Munster. :mickey:

AgentC
06-29-2012, 06:59 PM
. . .

:yes: I can't really envision them. I'll have to see them before I pass judgement.

NJGIRL
06-29-2012, 07:31 PM
I love the costumes and the whole Colonial feel at the American Pavilion. If they want to overhaul something it should be the food. Make it a table service restaurant and leave the costumes alone.

PirateLover
07-01-2012, 08:19 PM
Well, being a history major and being particularly fond of colonial history, this news is a bit of a downer for me. I think the current costumes are very appropriate. Very interested in seeing the new ones.

:ditto::ditto:

Scar
07-01-2012, 08:49 PM
Hopefully they won't change Norway's costumes. Brings back fond memories as a kid when when I wore that.

I just don't see any reason to change any of them. :confused:
... but they always seemed out of place in Epcot, to me. Just too "old fashioned."What can go wrong with an Old Fashioned?

Extra credit for the first poster who gets that reference.

Gator
07-02-2012, 10:53 AM
I wonder if this will effect the Voices of Liberty as well....to me, that would look extremely odd in anything but what they are wearing.

That's the first thing I thought of. If they're in some new, hip and stylish clothes, that would change who they are. Would they then start singing current pop songs instead of traditional American classics? That would be awful.

TinkerbellT421
07-02-2012, 11:11 AM

:ditto:

DizneyFreak2002
07-02-2012, 11:18 AM
Well, seen the proposal... As described.. Resembles Soarin... They look like flight attendants uniforms...

TinkerbellT421
07-02-2012, 11:19 AM
Hopefully they won't change Norway's costumes. Brings back fond memories as a kid when when I wore that.

I just don't see any reason to change any of them. :confused:What can go wrong with an Old Fashioned?

Extra credit for the first poster who gets that reference.

It's the only way to fly ;)

Jared
07-02-2012, 12:32 PM
Everybody's ripping the proposed costumes. I agree that I'm not crazy about the ones for the American Adventure. That said, the new United Kingdom costumes look fantastic, in my opinion.

What say you, DizneyFreak?

DizneyFreak2002
07-02-2012, 02:38 PM
Everybody's ripping the proposed costumes. I agree that I'm not crazy about the ones for the American Adventure. That said, the new United Kingdom costumes look fantastic, in my opinion.

What say you, DizneyFreak?

The ones for the Rose and Crown look fine... Traditional, yet modern... The ones for AA look like clowns crossed with flight attendants... Horrible...

Ian
07-02-2012, 03:01 PM
What can go wrong with an Old Fashioned?It's not a Small World my friend ... it's a mad, mad, mad, mad world!

PirateLover
07-02-2012, 04:09 PM
After some googling I found the mock ups and now I'll give my :twocents:
American Adventure: Men's costume is a blue suit, red tie, looks kind of presidential-ish. Will they have to wear the suit jacket at all times in the Summer, I wonder? Because seems to me that would be much more uncomfortable than the current costume. The women's costume is atrocious. Matches the men's blue color, it has a long skirt that is pictured as flowy and also a matching jacket, red ascot... yeah, she definitely looks like a flight attendant.

The UK costumes make me laugh, not because of their look but because of the incongruity of this whole change. I do like them, but they are going back to a traditional look, yet they feel the need to update the American one? Odd.

Scar
07-02-2012, 04:31 PM
It's the only way to fly ;)

It's not a Small World my friend ... it's a mad, mad, mad, mad world!Ding, Ding, Ding, Ding, Ding!

Lizzy
07-02-2012, 04:32 PM
The AA and Canada costumes are the only ones I really remember :blush:

I never paid much attention to the others- with the exception of off Kilter.

So I googled the new costumes. My opinion: :ack:

I like celebrating colonial America. I think walking into the attraction and having the Cast members dressed in colonial attire flows well with the start of the show. You come out of the show feeling the American Liberty and it just needs to stay that feeling I think.

Melanie
07-02-2012, 05:03 PM
Here are the men's and women's proposed costumes -

sportsguy2315
07-02-2012, 05:23 PM
I see both sides of the issue on this:

I spent a shift working at Liberty Inn during my CP. I absolutely adored the costume and thought it vibed well with the story of being in Colonial America eating in a publick house. The new costumes? If Disney is as big on story as they should be, a Liberty Inn refurb should be up the pike soon. I also don´t see how this saves money; someone in costuming told me that American Adventure and Liberty Square are similiar if not identical.

As for the other side, I had a good friend who worked in the Canadian pavilion. The first time I met her was in costume, so I dumbstruckly asked: ¨Do ALL Canadians dress like lumberjacks?¨ After about 30 seconds of laughing on her part, and me :blush:, I realized that wasn´t the case. They do need the upgrade.

Jared
07-02-2012, 06:12 PM
I've always thought that there wasn't enough of a distinction between Liberty Square and the American Adventure. Do we really need two depictions of Colonial America? I'd love for American Adventure to be more of a modern take on the culture and history of the United States.

For starters, a restaurant that reflects the varied cuisines and regional foods of this country would be welcomed.

Lizzy
07-02-2012, 07:18 PM
Thos look nothing like modern day USA either, it sort of looks 80's ish. Ugh

PirateLover
07-02-2012, 07:34 PM
I do agree that they could use a real upgrade on the dining factor, however I still think the colonial theme fits because of the architecture. It is modeled after Independence Hall, and being from Philly I guess I'm just used to seeing people in colonial garb and park rangers milling about. Someone dressed like a flight attendant would, in my opinion, be jarring with the theme.

Ian
07-02-2012, 08:14 PM
Yeah I don't like them. But again ... I don't really care. ;)

BrerGnat
07-02-2012, 08:45 PM
Yeah I don't like them. But again ... I don't really care. ;)

Yup.

I don't like them that much either, but I'm not the one wearing it. There are MANY CM costumes that I don't like.

It isn't gonna ruin my day.

Altair
07-02-2012, 08:55 PM
They could save lots of money by letting the CM's work in their street clothes and that would be a modern look, too.:mickey:

TracyL
07-02-2012, 09:12 PM
Costuming is definitely not the category where major investment is needed at Epcot. So from that standpoint, boo hiss, TDO-- you missed the mark.

I'm generally with Ian in that it's not a huge deal to me, except that if the costumes don't fit the rest of the theming, they will wreck the story for me. I don't want to see a cowboy walking through tomorrowland or an astronaut narrating the jungle cruise. The architecture of AA is colonial. I don't see how these sketches, which I agree look alarmingly like the Soarin costumes, are going to improve the overall look of the area.

As for the restaurant, I totally agree, but the place is also always packed. Best as I can figure, it's the safe haven everybody runs to after the tempura and schnitzel and couscous have freaked them out. :scared:

DizneyFreak2002
07-02-2012, 09:54 PM
They could save lots of money by letting the CM's work in their street clothes and that would be a modern look, too.:mickey:

With their pants hanging down below their backside, flashing their boxers... Wait, that is Justin Beiber... Yea, way to get the teen and pre-teen girl market, which they already corner with princesses LOL...

disneynarula
07-04-2012, 03:08 PM
I love the costumes the way they are!

Goofster
07-05-2012, 12:05 PM
The sketches look like a throwback to the late 70s early 80s. I don't understand how this corrects the problem (though I don't think costumes are really that big of an issue with guests).

Anyways, my issue with the suit is that it's not going to be customed tailored to each male cast member. It will be a one size fits all suit that will either be too big, mismatched and sloppy looking on the cast member.

DizneyFreak2002
07-05-2012, 01:38 PM
The sketches look like a throwback to the late 70s early 80s. I don't understand how this corrects the problem (though I don't think costumes are really that big of an issue with guests).

Anyways, my issue with the suit is that it's not going to be customed tailored to each male cast member. It will be a one size fits all suit that will either be too big, mismatched and sloppy looking on the cast member.

I doubt the new costumes would stop guests from visiting AA... They wouldn't stop me even though I think they are hideous.. The colonial costumes fit the theme so much better...

This is more about TDO and them fixing something that isn't broken (while not fixing those thigns that ARE broken) and about TDO making the same stupid decisions and showing their incompetence...

If people don't like the costumes, let Erin Youngs know... She is the VP of Epcot... Email her...

Goofster
07-05-2012, 05:22 PM
I doubt the new costumes would stop guests from visiting AA... They wouldn't stop me even though I think they are hideous.. The colonial costumes fit the theme so much better...

This is more about TDO and them fixing something that isn't broken (while not fixing those thigns that ARE broken) and about TDO making the same stupid decisions and showing their incompetence...

:exactly:

HackLaSalle
07-05-2012, 05:22 PM
I don't want to see a cowboy walking through tomorrowland or an astronaut narrating the jungle cruise.

What about a Space Ranger and Cowboy on the Jungle Cruise?

Main Street Jim
07-05-2012, 11:51 PM
Soarin' :\

I remember waaaaaay back when...at MK...each attraction had a different costume. In order to try and save some money...they combined most of the lands into one costume for each land - most of Adventureland, most of Frontierland, almost all of Tomorrowland, etc.).

Now, you can't tell if a CM works at Space, Stitch, Buzz, CoP, Astro....works at Splash, CBJ, or TSI...you *know* who works at Tiki/Treehouse/Aladdin <LOL....>...

American Adventure is supposed to represent a history of our great nation, from its humble beginnings to today. It's a southern Colonial mansion - not MCO....LOL...

mickeys_princess_mom
07-06-2012, 11:53 AM
You don't fix what isn't broken.

:thumbsup: Tradition is not always bad. It keeps us coming back and obviously Disney is not having trouble filling the parks! Sometimes I think people just change for the sake of change. It seems to be a little rampant right now...