PDA

View Full Version : Best time to book a rental car

faberj
06-28-2012, 10:28 AM
Our trip is coming up in November. When is the best time to book a rental car. I have been looking around for discounts codes but they all expire within the next month.
Any tips would be appreciated.

mydisneygirls
06-28-2012, 11:21 AM
I find that the closer you get to your arrival date, the cheaper the rates. Last year I got a rental (from Alamo) for $110 for 8 days. I would start looking in Sept. and keep looking frequently. Remember if the price goes down, you can cancel an old reservation and make a new one. I did this many times last year. Also, I found that Alamo is the cheapest. Sign up for the Alamo Insiders (no cost) as this gives a further discount to the codes you find online.

Fangorn
06-28-2012, 03:11 PM
As previously mentioned, car rentals tend to get cheaper as you get closer to your arrival date. The good thing about making car rental reservations is that there is no up-front charge to make a reservation and you can cancel or change the reservation as much as you need to. The key is to check frequently.

Car rental discount codes tend to run from Jan through June and July through December which is why you're seeing codes that expire soon. If you wait a bit, the new ones will be out. If you're a Costco member, they have some of the best and most consistent discounts. Check the Costco website for the codes.

I have always had good experiences with Alamo, especially at MCO. Their on-line system is easy to use and it's simple to change a reservation if you need to. They are not always the absolute cheapest, but I've always found them to be a very good value. What I particularly like about them is that they don't try to strong-arm you into buying insurance and options you don't need or want.

Steve

E-OR
06-28-2012, 03:20 PM
I always book about three months out and then about two months check a couple times a day. The rates go up and down, even within a few hour in a day. We always rent from National. I get the entertainment book and use one of their coupons. We are also Emerald club members - that's free which gives another discount. In may when we went our rate was almost 500.00 dollars, but by the time we left it was148.00 for an 8 day rental. Just keep watching and you can find some good deals.