PDA

View Full Version : Last Minute Plane Tickets--How Close to Cut?..

mickeys_princess_mom
06-25-2012, 02:33 PM
OK we're now contemplating flying instead of driving in 30 days. :eek: Trying to squeeze out an extra day in the parks. Don't think I've ever tryed to book plane tickets this close. What is your recollection about specials (Southwest) this close to the date? Cost is crazy right now (more than twice gas), but I'm hoping midnight brings a special?....Anybody getting any good deals lately? Should I take the plunge, or hang on? I'm afraid we will not get the flights at all, or prices will actually go up...Or should we just drive, but then I lose a day...:confused:Agonizing.....

DizneyRox
06-25-2012, 02:49 PM
Last minute airline flights? You're probably looking at the best fares right now.

Airlines overbook, that's how they operate. The low fares you see early on are used to get people to book. Once they are full, they can name their price pretty much. If they get a few poeple to book at the more expensive fares, they may be able to rely of people not showing up, or offering to compensate folks.

DVC2004
06-25-2012, 03:16 PM
After the 2 week mark has passed, forget it. The fares jump way up. I would also say you want to make the decision ASAP.

Disney Doll
06-25-2012, 05:37 PM
I always book about 3 months out. You're going to one of the most popular vacation destinations at peak summer travel times. SW isn't going to need to discount to sell those tickets at this late stage. I'd be more worried about fares going up.

faline
06-25-2012, 05:41 PM
Yep - gone are the days of being able to book airfare one week out and getting decent prices. There have been lots of service cuts over the last few years despite an increase in travelers - that means fewer seats on fewer airlines so planes fill up more quickly and there is no need to lower fares (or keep them low) in order to fill the plane.

BrerGnat
06-25-2012, 05:44 PM
I don't know, I've gotten some really good deals emailed to me for last minute travel in the past two months. Southwest, Jet Blue, and Virgin America, in particular, tend to send me an email a week with special fares for last minute (i.e. travel within the next week) airfares.

If you are game to cut it REALLY close, and drive if you don't get a good fare, you can wait up until a week or less before travel.

I am flying to CA next Tuesday. I booked on Southwest. I check the fare every day, just to make sure it hasn't gone down. I've already rebooked TWICE in the past two weeks due to fare drops. It's pretty much bottomed out, though, so I think I did as good as I will. But, the lowest fare is STILL the low fare I paid, so there's still availability at that fare, even at this point.

My point is, there really isn't a hard and fast rule. If you are willing to roll the dice even more, use Priceline last minute.

I need to travel to Boston in August. Have not bought tickets yet. Gonna wait until the flights are at a price I'm willing to pay. I like to live on the edge. I've never been stranded yet.

My personal window of purchase is 6 weeks or less out from travel. Seems to be a sweet spot between 1 and 2 weeks before travel, in my experience.

mydisneygirls
06-26-2012, 09:56 AM
Prices are higher closer to the travel date but I have seen them go way down a few weeks before. Last year we flew to Tampa because of the high price of flying into Orlando. Well, a few weeks before, the price dropped down to $89 each way and that was on JetBlue. I just got lucky yesterday and scored a return flight for this October for $107 each way (it's now up to $110). Now I'm just waiting to see if the price drops on the flight down. It's a gamble but I'm betting I can get a little lower price. Is JetBlue an option for you?

VWL Mom
06-26-2012, 02:03 PM
Just got an email from Southwest for sale Jun 26-28. Good for Tues/Wed travel from July 10-Nov 15. Don't know if that will help you out.

Aurora
06-26-2012, 10:45 PM
Just got an email from Southwest for sale Jun 26-28. Good for Tues/Wed travel from July 10-Nov 15. Don't know if that will help you out.

Not just Tues./Wed. travel. Southwest has GREAT fares right now. Don't know where the OP is traveling from, but I looked up Fri. through Mon. travel at end of July from Chicago and total price was less than $200! Wish I could take advantage of it!

mickeys_princess_mom
06-27-2012, 10:43 AM
Thanks to both of you, but I didn't see a change from our destination! Going back in now to look. I'm kind of stuck on SW. :mickey: