PDA

View Full Version : Full Service (Table Service) Restaurants at DLR question?

Mary Chase
06-24-2012, 11:05 AM
I know I can find information on DL's website about restaurants and I have been on that website and other websites that provide more DL information - but someone told me that somewhere on DL property there is a character meal with Buzz Lightyear. While I thought this would be awesome if they had it, I don't remember seeing it anywhere. Can anyone tell me for sure if there is or isn't one? I really think both DL and WDW need to have some character meals that are more catered to boys - since they have all the princess stuff. I think a Toy Story themed character meal would be a lot of fun.

Also, which restaurant has is the one next to Pirates of the Carribean? Someone told me it's really good. Any opinions on it?

Thanks!

Disney4us2
06-24-2012, 11:57 AM
I have never seen Buzz Lightyear at any character meals at Disneyland. That would be really cool. There is only one princess themed character meal (Ariels Grotto). Goofy's Kitchen and Minnie and friends at the Plaza Inn have a variety of characters. Storytellers Cafe has animal characters. That one is our favorite, love their buffet and DD loves the animal characters.

The restaurant next to/inside POC is the Blue Bayou (not a character meal). Haven't eaten there in a few years. Food was ok. Atmosphere is great but dark. I think it is kind of overpriced, paying to eat inside the POC. As a local, it is not one of our run to TS meals. Much perfer the Storytellers Cafe for lunch and dinner as well as the breakfast. My DD loved thier make your own pizza. There are no characters at lunch/dinner at Storytellers Cafe.

BrerGnat
06-24-2012, 01:08 PM
Buzz Lightyear does not appear at any Character Meals. The costume is not really conducive to navigating around a restaurant (it weighs over 80 lbs!!!).

The restaurant attached to PotC is Blue Bayou. Do yourself a favor and skip it. It's been awful for years. If you'd like to try some Creole/Cajun food, try Cafe Orleans in DL park or Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen at Downtown Disney.

Mary Chase
06-24-2012, 03:03 PM
Thanks for the info - I was pretty sure it was Blue Bayou and I hadn't heard good things about that restaurant. Yeah, I thought it was too good to be true about Buzz Lightyear at a character meal. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to miss anything like that.

NewDVCowner
06-25-2012, 12:03 PM
Unless it's changed recently Woody and Jessie appear at the barbeque place near Big Thunder Ranch. I don't think they do the rounds, just a show on the stage. I could be wrong through. I've never eaten there for it.

green ranger
07-03-2012, 10:46 PM
We got back from DL on June 23rd and had a great experience at the Blue Bayou. At first we weren't going to do it because of it being a little pricey, but I am so happy we decided to splurge on it. We were lucky and got a table close to the water where we could see the boats. It was so peaceful. I could see getting a table in the back of the restaurant would not be the same experience. The food was very good and the portions were great! I had filet mignon and it came with a salad, delicious mashed potatoes, and string beans. Our kids loved it too and they had generous portions with their meals too. If it's not out of your budget, I would definitely give it a try.

NewDVCowner
07-04-2012, 10:52 AM
If you want your best chance of getting a seat next to the water make your reservation for right at the start of the serving (lunch or dinner). I booked our lunch for the begining of their service and checked in fifteen minutes early. I asked if we could get a seat next to the water and they said that since we were in the first seating, and had checked in on time, it wouldn't be a problem.

That restaurant is DARK. It's hard to read the menu. You might want to bring a small flashlight with you just so you can see what you're ordering. I agree that it's pricey, but it has a neat atmosphere.

tinkwest
07-04-2012, 03:32 PM
Thanks for reporting back green ranger. It is good to hear that you enjoyed your experience at Blue Bayou. We used to go more often, when there was no Downtown Disney and therefore not so many table service options. We always enjoyed the food and the service and the atmosphere. As the years went by, the menu changed, the prices went up, and we had a few not completely successful meals. Our visits diminished as our experiences became less memorable. So, again, I'm glad to know you had a good time there. I'll have to give it another try soon.

SebastiansDisneyMama
07-16-2012, 02:07 PM
I've been eating at Blue Bayou for over 20 years I've never had a bad experince inside. Outside with rude guests not wanting to wait because they didn't make a reservation yes. Food has all ways been good. Has gotten a bit pricy for what you get, but we all ways get a table by the water and the service is fantastic!
Buzz at a character meal would be beyond cool!

Gator
09-11-2012, 04:34 PM
I know it's hard for Buzz to make it to dinner, but one of my long time beefs with DL is the lack of character meals. I would love it if they had more. Even 1 more :thumbsup:

Elias1901
09-11-2012, 06:39 PM
Thanks for the info - I was pretty sure it was Blue Bayou and I hadn't heard good things about that restaurant. Yeah, I thought it was too good to be true about Buzz Lightyear at a character meal. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to miss anything like that.

My family and I, when skipping Blue Bayou, go to Cafe Orleans in New Orleans Square as a cheaper alternative. It serves some of the same foods, not all, some. Mmm... Monte Cristo sandwiches! :D

Awesome_guy
09-11-2012, 11:03 PM
I wouldn't write-off Blue Bayou; really depends what you're looking for.

Admittedly I've not eaten at Blue Bayou. I have, though, eaten at it's Disneyland Paris equivalent the Blue Lagoon, also in PoC... this summer. An Internet search tells me Blue Lagoon is a little less cozy but pretty similar. I like the idea of dining experiences unique to the Disney :mickey: experience. We had a spot by the water (and a reservation). Our 'trick' was to indicate we wanted a spot there and having a willingness to wait (which didn't end up being much of an extra wait at all).

You're spending a bit more, but you're also experiencing something awfully unique. It's nice to escape the chaos of the park and try something new.

Next trip to Disneyland, I'm keen to try the Anaheim version (and if ever in Tokyo, theirs too..... shame WDW doesn't have the option).

Waving at those boats can be pretty fun, too. ...bit of a game to see who waves back!

joyce
09-23-2012, 11:47 PM
we've been lucky enough to visit DL quite often, once a year for northeasterners!. We always make a reservation for blue bayou. We know the meals are around $30 or more. We always have a good meal. I always have the short rib and my family also likes the steak. It is dark but part of the atmosphere. We also enjoy the Monte cristo
sandwich, which my daughter and I share.