PDA

View Full Version : 45 minute cast member!

Prosdog
06-23-2012, 12:04 PM
As a present for my 18 year old high school graduate, we took him to WDW. It was our third trip in 5 years and wanted to do something extra special. Last year for his birthday, I got him SCUBA certified. When I found out that The Seas at Epcot had daily diving tours of the aquarium, it was an easy decision. Its not cheap, $180 per diver if I remember correctly, but the proceeds all go towards the Disney Conservation organization. Also, discounts are available for AAA, AP holders and other organizations.

We met our tour guide outside the guest relations building at Epcot. I don't remember his name but he was the most upbeat, friendly and outgoing cast member I've ever met. We toured the facility, saw the filtration system and saw the parts of the aquarium that are not shown to the public. After a briefing, we were taken up to the top of the aquarium to begin the dive. Disney doesn't let you bring your own equipment, except for your mask and dive computer. Not an issue, their equipment is all top of the line and well maintained.

The first 10 minutes of the dive we followed the dive guide as he showed us around and the videographer got footage of us for the DVD they sell you afterwards. After that, as the dive guide said, "for the next 45 minutes, you guys are all unpaid Disney cast members!"

What a blast! We interacted with people behind the glass at the restaurant and the observation windows. We followed rays, turtles and other marine life. I hovered over the bottom as an 8 foot shark passed 2 feet below me. Boy those teeth looked big.

After an all to brief 45 minutes, it was time to surface. Definitely the highlight of all of my trips to WDW. If you're a diver, you must do this attraction. If you're not a diver, become one and do this attraction.

Aurora
06-23-2012, 12:06 PM
Great review, thanks! I have no interest in diving, but my daughter does, and this would definitely be a goal for her!

mgmnut
06-23-2012, 08:46 PM
What a great experience!

Thanks for sharing!

ImagiAsh
06-24-2012, 12:07 AM
Sounds like a wonderful experience! Thanks for sharing. :mickey: My father did this many years ago and he absolutely loved it, especially since he got to swim with Mickey Mouse. We have some great pictures of him from our view at the Coral Reef. Definitely an experience not to forget!

VWL Mom
06-24-2012, 06:33 AM
What a great birthday gift for your son, sounds like you had a great time. DH & I are both certified but we're waiting on my youngest to get his card so we can do the tour.

Great review, thanks! I have no interest in diving, but my daughter does, and this would definitely be a goal for her!

They also offer a snorkeling tour (Seas Aqua Tour) for non-divers which is great fun.

TheVBs
06-24-2012, 07:53 AM
Sounds so awesome! :mickey: I'm not a diver but I would love to try someday. If I ever get certified I would definitely try this. Our girls have had some really fun interactions with the divers and it's just made their day!

scooterca42
06-25-2012, 11:38 AM
It's the most fun! We've done it twice and it's now a 'must-do' for our trips. DH's favourite trick is to sit like he's at the end of the table, especially if the table is ordering, and the waiters generally look at him as if he's ordering - he points to the nearest fish! We've waltzed together underwater too, and done handstands on one finger. It's great interaction.

Arielfan98
06-25-2012, 03:07 PM
Sounds fantastic! Except I'm too much of a wimp to attempt scuba diving :scared:

Dr. Disney
07-11-2012, 12:46 AM
SCUBA driving is great, but my wife is not certified. She has a hard time getting used to snorkeling :(

I hope to someday do the excursion. The price is a little high, but when you don't have to lug around your own equipment, it begins to pay for itself!