PDA

View Full Version : Fantasmic Dinner Package yes or no?

disneynarula
06-23-2012, 07:40 AM
Is it worth it to eat somewhere we really don't want to in order to get the Fantasmic Dinner Package?

We will be there October 19-25th and would really like to see Fantasmic.

Is standby that bad?

I wish they would do Fastpasses like they do for World of Color at Disneyland!

Strmchsr
06-23-2012, 08:36 AM
I suppose the answer to your question would be another question - would you rather eat some place you don't want to (though I would recommend Mama Melrose - we really enjoy it) or stand in line a while? If you get in line 45-60 min before showtime you should get a seat with no problem.

IamBelle
06-23-2012, 09:57 AM
I think the dinner package is worth it. We ate a delicious meal at Mama Melrose's and went into the Fantasmic theater 30 mins before and got a great seat about 4 rows from the front! If you go to standby 30 minutes before, sometimes there is only standing room only, depending on the time of year you go.

Gator
06-23-2012, 11:31 AM
I know what you mean. With some rough reviews out there on Mama's Melrose, and the not-so-great quality of food at Hollywood&Vine, it's tough to pull the trigger on the dinner package when you can eat instead at SciFi or 50s PrimeTime. However, I actually like Mama's Melrose, and my kids like Hollywood&Vine (because they care about quantity, not quality) - so for us, it's a no brainer. We get the package for one of our two days at DHS. And then the other day, we eat where we want.

LandFan
06-24-2012, 10:56 AM
Depends upon how much you want to stand in line :D We are doing it because then we can just slide in close to show time. As we are going at the end of September when it is really warm and humid, we just don't want to stand in line.

Mama's is the only place we would choose to eat though. Not a fan of H&V or the Brown Derby.

disneynarula
06-24-2012, 03:40 PM
What would the lines be like in mid October? (19th-26th)

The only reason I am so torn is we also have Vis Napoli booked and I don't want to do Italian twice. DH is not a big fan. He did not even like the Italian food in Italy. MIL loves Italian because the vegetarian options are pretty good. They both liked Nine Dragons and loved Marrakesh.

Maybe I will switch Via Napoli for Marrakesh and then book Mama Melroses if I can still get the Fantasmic package.

It is just so tempting with a two year old not to have to wait in line. We have been to Disney twice with the boys in 2006 and 2010 but they have never seen Fantasmic. This is DDs first trip to the World. She love World of Color at Disneyland.

Sort of tired of planning the trip around the dining. I sure miss the days of being able to walk up to most the Epcot places and being able to get a table.

Strmchsr
06-24-2012, 03:46 PM
What would the lines be like in mid October? (19th-26th)

That's not an unreasonably crowded time of the year, but you would definitely want to go on a night where there is NOT a MNSSHP. On party nights people tend to flock to the other parks. But, still, without the dinner package you would need to get there 45-60 min ahead of time in insure you get in.

eandrsmom
06-24-2012, 09:55 PM
We did the dinner package at the Brown Derby several years ago. For us it was not worth it. Despite having the package, we were seated an hour later than scheduled. When our server found out we had the package, he was extremely rushed. (Which didn't sit well with us, considering the cost of the package.) We were told that in order to get our "reserved" seats, we'd have to take our dessert "to go". The seats were good, but not fantastic.
The following year, we skipped the dinner package and lined up about 45 minutes before the show. While we were waiting for the show to start, I bought us all hot dogs, drinks, and snacks from the concession stand. By the time we'd finished eating, the show was just about ready to begin.

EJS-Houston
06-26-2012, 03:09 PM
I know what you mean. With some rough reviews out there on Mama's Melrose, and the not-so-great quality of food at Hollywood&Vine, it's tough to pull the trigger on the dinner package when you can eat instead at SciFi or 50s PrimeTime. However, I actually like Mama's Melrose, and my kids like Hollywood&Vine (because they care about quantity, not quality) - so for us, it's a no brainer. We get the package for one of our two days at DHS. And then the other day, we eat where we want.

We've always had good luck with Mama Melrose's too...in fact haven't had a bad experience there in 4 times we've been there. So of the 3 restaurant options I think Mama Melrose's is the only one I'd recommend. But I do think the Fantasmic Dining Package is worth it to avoid sitting/standing around for a full hour before the show in order to get a decent seat.

Airblue1
06-27-2012, 01:18 AM
If it's free dining go package. If not stand in line and bond with your family.

disneynarula
07-01-2012, 03:34 PM
Even with free dining (which we don't have) I just don't think it's worth the risk. We booked an ADR at the Captain's Grille. We will park at Hollywood, take a boat to the Boardwalk and then have dinner, go back to Hollywood and then get in line.