PDA

View Full Version : Just Checked in Online with Southwest with Early Bird

2disneyfans
06-23-2012, 07:20 AM
Figure this one out!

My family of 4 purchased our Southwest tickets with early bird minutes after they were released back in November-just checked in we got B3, B4, B5, B6.

My parents purchased their Southwest tickets with early bird minutes after they were released and AFTER us because we were all using the same computer in November-just checked in they got A21 and A22.

We are surprised that my parents are boarding ahead of us since their tickets were purchased after us.

However, the even bigger surprise-my sisters family of 5 purchased their tickets for the same flight with early bird in February. Just checked in-they got A42-A46!

We are the only ones with Southwest "experience" out of the group, so we were hoping to be on the plane first. We all want to sit as close together as possible.

Not that big of a deal, just trying to make sense of the whole early bird purchasing and the assignment of boarding positions!:confused:

BrerGnat
06-23-2012, 08:22 AM
Well, as far as I know, it's totally randomized. There may be a lot of business first passengers on your flight or people who chose the most expensive tickets. Those automatically get "A" group. Once you let Southwest do the Early Bird thing, their computer just randomizes them all. They say there is no guarantee to be in A group.

I would recommend asking the others in your traveling party to spread out a bit among a couple rows, leaving seats open, and then just have them politely tell others that the seats are being saved for family members. Most people will not mind.

RBrooksC
06-23-2012, 05:57 PM
I have any of the early "B" boarding passes, you are going to have no problem with sitting together. I wouldn't sweat it.

But, yes, there are no promises on getting an "A" boarding pass.

DizneyRox
06-23-2012, 07:38 PM
I would recommend asking the others in your traveling party to spread out a bit among a couple rows, leaving seats open, and then just have them politely tell others that the seats are being saved for family members. Most people will not mind.
Saving seats on Southwest is not allowed... I know I'll take seats if they are of my liking.

For the OP, did you by chance rebook your flight for a cheaper ticket? I'm trying to figure out Southwest's EZb assignment, and I'm thinking a rebook is somehow factored in. I do know when you apply EB is important as well, actually I think it's used instead of when you booked your fare.