PDA

View Full Version : 'Ohana-Convince Me!

disneynarula
06-23-2012, 07:13 AM
So anyone who has seen my posts knows that I am sort of a 'Ohana hater. It's been about 10 years since I have eaten there.I am willing to give it a second chance. We just decided a week ago to take a trip in October vs. January and I was "lucky enough" to still get a table at 'Ohana.

One person in our party is a vegetarian but is not picky and manages to always find something to eat but I am concerned about "wasting" a dining credit when we could eat somewhere where she could get something she really likes.

Does everyone like it for the atmosphere or is the food really that fabulous?

Convince me this is a good place for us! We will have DD 2 and DSs 9 and 6. Other people include DH, MIL (veg) and Me!

BrerGnat
06-23-2012, 08:29 AM
Well, I know for sure that if someone is a vegetarian, and you note it on the reservation, the chef will make a special meal for that person. I think at 'Ohana it is some sort of veggie/noodle dish.

In general, I always believe in giving places a second chance. MUCH has changed in 10 years, so you may be pleasantly surprised since you didn't love the meal last time. A lot of menu items have been changed in that time. I like the new menu...I liked the old menu as well, but this one is better, IMO.

I don't go to 'Ohana for the "experience." Honestly, I find that singing lady to be quite annoying and find the other activities to be obnoxious, but your kids might get into the hula hooping and coconut races. I go for the meal and the atmosphere of the Poly lobby.

The kids might be tough. If they will eat grilled meats, noodles, steamed veggies (broccoli/snap peas), pot stickers, and wings, go for it. It's a pricey meal, and they WILL serve your kids "kids" food on request (i.e. chicken fingers and fries or a hot dog), but you will still have to pay the steep price for the kids.

Personally, I wouldn't dine here with my kids because only one of them would actually eat the 'Ohana food and I flat out refuse to pay $18 for a plate of chicken nuggets and fries. I love 'Ohana, but not that much.

If you have doubts, and think there are other places at WDW you'd enjoy more, then cancel the ADR and let someone have it who really wants it.

MississippiDisneyFreak
06-23-2012, 09:02 AM
Although I can't answer the vegetarian part I will say that we ate there in December and it is our new favorite. The dumplings they bring out in the beginning are awesome as was the chicken and steak. Don't even get me started on the dessert. Try it again.

wildernesslady
06-23-2012, 09:22 AM
We had a vegetarian with us and they made her a great dinner. She loved it.

Christine
06-23-2012, 11:21 AM
Need convincing?

2 words: peanut. sauce.

We put it on EVERYTHING but the dessert! And that's just because they clean the table before dessert comes!
I'd probably eat my foot if it had peanut sauce on it.

Give it another try. :thumbsup:

BrerGnat
06-23-2012, 12:18 PM
Need convincing?

2 words: peanut. sauce.

We put it on EVERYTHING but the dessert! And that's just because they clean the table before dessert comes!
I'd probably eat my foot if it had peanut sauce on it.

Give it another try. :thumbsup:

Good thing you're not trying to convince me. I HATE peanut sauce...with a passion. LOL!

But, I love 'Ohana. I tell them not even to bring the peanut sauce to the table...the smell of it makes me :ack:. I think it's the sesame oil they put in it. I hate that stuff.

How about these four words:
Bananas Foster Caramel Sauce.

I could swim in that stuff.

disneynarula
06-23-2012, 01:17 PM
DS has a peanut allergy. Yikes! I know they are careful at disney and we never had any trouble but now I am wondering about what his options will be.

BrerGnat
06-23-2012, 01:27 PM
DS has a peanut allergy. Yikes! I know they are careful at disney and we never had any trouble but now I am wondering about what his options will be.

They can accommodate him. Make sure it's noted on the reservation. Don't get the peanut sauce brought to the table, if he's really sensitive. Also, I think the noodles may have peanut in them, so make sure they know to make up a peanut free batch for your table.

I've heard of many people successfully eating at 'Ohana with a peanut allergy; you just have to know what he can/cannot eat.

LandFan
06-24-2012, 10:34 AM
I can't. Sorry. I tried it the first time and it was blah. I gave it a few years and tried it again last year and it was still blah. We actually prefer Kona by a large margin.

There are so many other restaurants we like better that I probably won't be back. It is not as bad as Tony's but when the time comes to make ressies, it is never even on my radar. We generally try that stuff (new places and re-try things we don't particularly care for the first time) when we have free dining. That way we don't feel bad about wasting money if we don't like it :D

However, that being said, I think everyone should try every place more than once to make up their own mind. Every place has its good and bad days. Also, what is a palate goldmine to one person may not be a palate goldmine to another.

So good luck deciding!

disneynarula
06-24-2012, 03:28 PM
I think I am going to cancel and go for something else. I think we might try the Captain's Grill or The Wave instead.Thanks for the advice.

MargaretMessler
06-24-2012, 03:48 PM
How about these four words:
Bananas Foster Caramel Sauce.

I could swim in that stuff.

That would be enough to convince me. But then I don't need to convincing either. Next trip I'm going with mom, and although we are on a "budget", she wants to do at least one nice sit down meal, so this might be my vote as its someplace she has never eaten on previous trips.

Dulcee
06-24-2012, 03:48 PM
We really enjoy it.

Is the food phenomenal? No, its good but I've certainly had better Polynesian type meals.

But for us its the experience and hands down every time we enjoy ourselves and eat until way too full. Its always our first night and sets the tone for our vacation.

If I was you, I'd give it another shot.

Wolf
06-25-2012, 10:57 AM
The first time we went to Ohana I was sick from flying and couldnt eat anything hardly and nothing I did get down stayed that way very long, Mom on the other hand loved it, she finally got me to try it again last trip and I fell in love, those wings make me want to sing!! I think your vegitarian will be okay because those noodles are killer and there is bread and green beans or brocolli (I cant remember exactly cause I only tried a bite of anything that wasnt meat) but I do remember the salad being fantastic! I'd say try it again, everything deserves a second shot.

joonyer
06-26-2012, 03:47 PM
I'll use two different words:
1) Family
2) Fun

It's not a gourmet meal, although the food is plenty good, especially if you are a meat lover. And as others have said they'll gladly accommodate dietary limitations and preferences)

But for us with our kids, we've always had a great fun time sharing a meal at 'Ohana. Between the huge open fire grill, the music, the coconut races and hula hop contests, etc. we've always had a really great time there. Our kids ask to go back on every trip even though they are older teenagers now. If you are looking for a quiet romantic meal, it's not the first choice, but with a family of kids, it's a can't miss place for us. We always leave full and happy.

Airblue1
06-27-2012, 01:16 AM
Like meat and poultry?
If yes is circled then go!!!!!

Disney Doll
06-27-2012, 10:01 AM
We like it, but I admit I don't fully understand why it's so popular. To me one of the big draws is that it's so kid friendly. My kids love the leis and I have boys. They also like that the coconut races provide an opportunity to get up from the table and play during the meal. Otherwise they tend to get bored at TS meals. Another plus is that because they serve the same stuff to every table the food is served quickly and there's hardly any waiting once you are seated. Toddlers are not great at waiting so we tend to do a lot of buffets and family style meals for that reason.

buzznwoodysmom
06-27-2012, 10:18 AM
Ohana is a must for my family. It's the only place we've eaten on every one of our trips. The menu has changed several times over the years, but we've always been completely happy with our meals. We go for both the food and the entertainment. We love it all, the food, the lady who sings, the games for the kids, all of it.

A few years ago we went to WDW on a sort of last minute trip while DH was home on his two week leave from Iraq. His only request was that we had to eat at Ohana's. He didn't care what day, or what time, but no Ohana's meant no Disney, LOL. We probably would have still gone, but lucky for me I was able to get a late dinner for us.

disneynarula
06-27-2012, 10:41 AM
Like meat and poultry?
If yes is circled then go!!!!!

Not so much... maybe we should pass and leave the ADR slot to someone who really wants it.

*Update* Probaby just made a huge 'Ohana fan's day by opening up a prime dinner spot. Going to Boma instead!

ThanxForNoticin
06-27-2012, 12:42 PM
Not so much... maybe we should pass and leave the ADR slot to someone who really wants it.

*Update* Probaby just made a huge 'Ohana fan's day by opening up a prime dinner spot. Going to Boma instead!

I think if you are so apprehensive about 'OHana that you wouldn't have enjoyed it anyway. And as others have said, there are so many great choices at Disney, you should pick one you really want to enjoy.

Personally, 'OHana and Boma are probably our 2 favorites, so trading one for the other sounds reasonable! Enjoy your dinner and your trip!

disneynarula
06-27-2012, 02:47 PM
It's true. There are so many places that we love, love, love. Boma is one of our musts for every trip. Since it is so hard to get an ADR at 'Ohana someone else will probably enjoy it a lot more than us.

buzznwoodysmom
06-27-2012, 10:33 PM
Since it is so hard to get an ADR at 'Ohana someone else will probably enjoy it a lot more than us.

That's exactly how I feel about Le Cellier. We've tried it twice, don't see what all the hype is about, so we figure we may as well leave it open to those who really want it. Too many other great places to try.

disneydeb
06-28-2012, 02:26 AM
We LOVE Ohana, but I LOVE Boma even more! :thumbsup: Good Choice!

Mackflava99
06-28-2012, 12:23 PM
We had a veggie eater with us and they made a special plate that she thought was great.
There is enough to make them enjoy the meal.

Ohana is alot of fun, i was surprised we didnt go for such a long time, its one of our favorites now.

Beautiful view, great service and alot of fun.

Kairi_7378
06-30-2012, 10:49 AM
Well, I know for sure that if someone is a vegetarian, and you note it on the reservation, the chef will make a special meal for that person. I think at 'Ohana it is some sort of veggie/noodle dish.

In general, I always believe in giving places a second chance. MUCH has changed in 10 years, so you may be pleasantly surprised since you didn't love the meal last time. A lot of menu items have been changed in that time. I like the new menu...I liked the old menu as well, but this one is better, IMO.

I don't go to 'Ohana for the "experience." Honestly, I find that singing lady to be quite annoying and find the other activities to be obnoxious, but your kids might get into the hula hooping and coconut races. I go for the meal and the atmosphere of the Poly lobby.

The kids might be tough. If they will eat grilled meats, noodles, steamed veggies (broccoli/snap peas), pot stickers, and wings, go for it. It's a pricey meal, and they WILL serve your kids "kids" food on request (i.e. chicken fingers and fries or a hot dog), but you will still have to pay the steep price for the kids.

Personally, I wouldn't dine here with my kids because only one of them would actually eat the 'Ohana food and I flat out refuse to pay $18 for a plate of chicken nuggets and fries. I love 'Ohana, but not that much.

If you have doubts, and think there are other places at WDW you'd enjoy more, then cancel the ADR and let someone have it who really wants it.

Just wanted to say thanks for this very honest and detailed review. This has always been on our "someday" list, but since we never plan our trips that far in advance, we haven't been able to get in.

OP, sounds like you made the decision that's best for your family. Have a fantastic time at Boma! It's on our "someday" list as well :)