PDA

View Full Version : What to do on non-Disney days?

disneynarula
06-23-2012, 03:05 AM
Any ideas on less expensive ways to fill non park days? My mother and MIL will be with us for three days each but not purchasing park tickets.

I thought we would do a day at the pool and take them to a nice dinner at a resort. I got us ADRs at Wolfgang Puck and Boma. We still need some ways to fill the days and they don't want to do Universal Studios or Sea World.

We have a car so transportation is not a big deal. We will be staying off property for those days.

ANG
06-23-2012, 06:40 AM
Explore the resorts! Usually when we are at Disney we are already scheming about the next trip. So we pick a resort of to to visit that we may want to stay at next time.

DD is great even if you don't buy anything. The atmosphere, window shopping, street performers, etc.

For sure take advantage of the pools. Are you staying on property? You can usually pool hop at other resorts too.

TinkerbellT421
06-23-2012, 08:39 AM
I agree with exploring the resorts. Also, hang out at the boardwalk in the evening, maybe check out the dueling pianos or go dance at the Atlantic beach club. Go watch a movie on the beach at the beach club. Hang out at downtown Disney, maybe do the characters in flight hot air balloon. There's a lot of entertainment at night at downtown Disney.

AgentC
06-23-2012, 09:22 AM
It doesn't take up a huge amount of time but my family enjoys the mini golf courses. Winter Summerland is a lot of fun. For non Disney mini golf, we have been to Congo River Golf. Depending on where you are staying there are locations on International Drive and 192. They have mini golf, feed the alligators and a mini section.

Airboat tours are fun. Water parks are also an option.

I have never been, but my mom has taken my kids to Wonderworks and they enjoyed it.

I agree that DTD is always fun. I could manage to fill part of the day there. Normally I am all for exploring the resorts but since you are not staying on site that might be a bit harder for you.

disneynarula
06-23-2012, 09:58 AM
We are staying on site for our second week and plan to exlpore some then. We really like to eat our TS at the other resorts. I find it quieter.

Mini golf sounds fun.

BugeyedMuggy
06-23-2012, 11:07 AM
If you have a ressie at Boma you can easily spend hours exploring AKL.

Yo Mickey!
06-24-2012, 12:29 PM
agreed with someone above on hanging out at the boardwalk in the evening. just a great stroll around the lake, street performers, watching illuminations from the bridge or just sitting back and having a beer while staring out a the lights on the water and beach club.

VWL Mom
06-24-2012, 12:48 PM
Would they enjoy a museum? The Tiffany Museum in Winter Park is supposed to be very nice. My brother keeps telling us it's a don't miss and we hope to go in November when we have a car. It's about a 30 minute drive and is only $5 per person entry. The have website if you want to check it out.

BrerGnat
06-24-2012, 01:05 PM
Will you have kids with you or is this a grown ups only few days?

Orlando has a LOT of things to see/do. Since you will be off property and have a car, why not just make these couple days "non Disney" entirely? There are far better restaurants off Disney property, IMO. I'd choose something over in Universal (maybe one of Emeril's restaurants). :thumbsup: There is also a new mini golf course at Universal City Walk. I'd perhaps spend one evening doing that. There are also plenty of museums and other local attractions in the area.

disneynarula
06-24-2012, 03:48 PM
Besides our dinner at Boma we not doing anything disney. MIL wanted to eat there but I might try and talk her out of it.

City Walk is a good idea! Maybe that is where DH and I can go for our anniversary dinner.

I am going to look into the Tiffany Museum.

luvdiznee
06-24-2012, 07:12 PM
On our last trip some of our non Disney stuff was; Universal Studios & IOA. We also had lunch at Emeril's. :secret:

And since we had transportation too, we went to the Florida Mall and Mall at Millenia. It was nice getting away from the crowds and eating meals at restaurants that we don't have in our area at home. :DIt was me, my sister and DD, so the stuff for a girls trip.

epceddie
07-01-2012, 11:48 PM
You could look into going to the afternoon tea party at the Grand Floridian. They have different packages you can choose from, with tea, scones, and the like.
Afterwards, you could get on the monorail and make stops at the Contemporary Resort and the Polynesian to make a nice afternoon of it.

azcavalier
07-02-2012, 09:40 AM
What about Florida's Space Coast? You could go out to Canaveral, or just hit the beach.